Sponsored

GT350R vs EVERYTHING

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
....and in come the 350 owners who think this is their queue to make themselves feel good about their cars. They are all great - but it's tiring "my car is 95%...Yes, that's great. This thread is mainly about what I would replace a GT350R with. Not that it's not a great car but I'm not replacing it with an M1 or a GT350. In the context of this thread, that's silly.
If there's something that's a lot better that I realistically could own, I don't know what it is. Definitely there isn't a new car you can buy with a warranty for under $100K that is better than a GT350R. IMO Mustangs are too porky and the COG is too high off the ground, but try to find something modern that's better. I don't think you will for a reasonable price.

About the only cars I think would do it are customs. Something with a good chassis, front engine V8, RWD, manual transaxle and weighing 3,000 lbs or less might do it if the parts were set up to work together well enough.

Not an easy task.
Sponsored

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
About the only cars I think would do it are customs. Something with a good chassis, front engine V8, RWD, manual transaxle and weighing 3,000 lbs or less might do it if the parts were set up to work together well enough.
Hack hit the nail on the head..... this is where the "pro-touring" thing comes into play. Me and my car buds often sit around lamenting why we can't go to a dealer and buy a truly stripped down version of our favorite car (with a manual transmission, too). Chalk it up to a combination of the ever marching pace of technology, consumer desires, and safety / emission regs.

That's why lots of us find a solid old car and throw a proven mix of parts at them to create a modern car in an old package.

My current project (which was the car I bought after selling my R) is a '73 Z28 that's getting a wet-sump LS7 (570hp), TKO600, huge brakes, and only a few basic creature comforts.

Engine Bay Test Fitting_2.8.22.jpg

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Hack hit the nail on the head..... this is where the "pro-touring" thing comes into play. Me and my car buds often sit around lamenting why we can't go to a dealer and buy a truly stripped down version of our favorite car (with a manual transmission, too). Chalk it up to a combination of the ever marching pace of technology, consumer desires, and safety / emission regs.

That's why lots of us find a solid old car and throw a proven mix of parts at them to create a modern car in an old package.

My current project (which was the car I bought after selling my R) is a '73 Z28 that's getting a wet-sump LS7 (570hp), TKO600, huge brakes, and only a few basic creature comforts.

Probably my favorite shaped car ever when done in resto-mod or pro-touring form.

And to keep the thread on track, what about a modded SS1LE for old school NA sound, manual, good chassis? will lack the “special” part, but hard to deny it’s capabilities

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Someone mentioned the M2 CS. Lacking only in the sound department, I think it’s up there on the specialness scale.

stars_fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
21 GT PP1, 20 Tesla M3P & 21 Ducati SFV4S
If there's something that's a lot better that I realistically could own, I don't know what it is. Definitely there isn't a new car you can buy with a warranty for under $100K that is better than a GT350R. IMO Mustangs are too porky and the COG is too high off the ground, but try to find something modern that's better. I don't think you will for a reasonable price.

Not an easy task.
Ariel Atom 4 or C8 Corvette

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
C8's is fugly though. It's like two teams designed the front of and rear of the car, with no communication between the teams. The middle just became a cluster of terrible LOL...And you look like a cock in an Atom anywhere other than the track.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
And you look like a cock in an Atom anywhere other than the track.
Easily remedied with a full-body penile costume for all occasions.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

That project will be far cooler than most late models, IMO. Doesn't hurt that it's a big mouth, my favorite Camaro of all time.

Speaking of favorite cars, I still have the '67 Cougar I bought 30+ years ago, but it's too original and too sentimental to go nuts on. Since bailing on trying to land a GT500 in the current climate, lately I've been thinking about finding a twin to the cat I have and go pro touring nuts with it, as an homage to the early Cougar Trans-Am cars.....

V8 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT 5.0 V8
If you want one built...let me know.....check us out at legacy motorsports llc. We're in plainfield Indiana.
This place looks like heaven

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I don't really like mid-engine cars myself. I think they lack drama on the street. And the Corvette is not even a consideration since it doesn't have a manual transmission. However, even with a mid-engine, the Ariel Atom definitely has drama, but I think it has other fatal flaws.

Here in MN, even a track only vehicle should really have heat, defrost, a windshield and a roof. If I ignore those missing features and the potential pain and suffering that goes along with being outside in the local weather, Ariel Atom would be great. The only other major problem I see with it is it's way over priced. IMO it should be closer to $40K for what you (don't) get.

I've been considering an LS swap into my 944. But the car is so old and beat down it needs virtually everything. And the other issue with driving a custom is insurance. If you want to drive the car more than just a few times a year, classic insurance is out. Once you customize a car, your normal insurance doesn't cover your potential loss anymore. So it's hard for me to justify putting a lot of money or time into something I'm not going to use very much.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
C8's is fugly though. It's like two teams designed the front of and rear of the car, with no communication between the teams. The middle just became a cluster of terrible LOL...And you look like a cock in an Atom anywhere other than the track.
Hahaha
Everyone has design opinions though only a few are actual designers.
Personally I like the C8 and the Atom is flat out nutz, in a good way. Cannot own either, just to small.
Have you sat in or driven a C8? I suspect you may change your opinion if you do.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hahaha
Everyone has design opinions though only a few are actual designers.
Personally I like the C8 and the Atom is flat out nutz, in a good way. Cannot own either, just to small.
Have you sat in or driven a C8? I suspect you may change your opinion if you do.
Sat in, yes. Only ridden in one though. Honestly my biggest gripe is that a Corvette has been front engine rear drive since it's inception. It should remain that ways if GM wanted to make a mid engine car, call it a hornet, or literally any number of other names. Make it a Ford GT killer. But they didn't. Because GM designers are lazy and uninspired. Just look at the Impala and soon to be cancelled Camaro.

I will say, I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing the new Z06. Gonna be something special!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Bwwwahahaha. What a douche thing to say. Thats awesome. Shutting down the poors...
Thats so awesome you are a professional commercial driver and putting down a Ford Mustang driver that is working through tires while getting his learn on.
None of what you said it true.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It has to at least look good and function as a car. Atom is like a kit car...and the vette...gross. I'd trade even for a 350R but it would just be to resell it to buy another 350R and pocket the difference.
Sponsored