Sponsored

GT350 vs GT350R

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hello,

New to the forums, I am considering either the GT350 or the GT350R. I would love the "R" if it werent for the lack of rear seats, unfortunately Ford decided to make that a no option. This is not my only car, but for a car that is the size of Mustang and the weight, not having rear seats is kind of a problem. One of the selling points for the mustang is I can track this car but if I need to, I should be able to put my car seat in the back and take my family out for a dinner:)

Anyways, brings me to my question, what exactly is the "chassis tuning" that R has and how different is a 350 with a track pack than a 350r with the tech package? My understanding of the differences between the two is :

Gt350 w/track pack vs gt350r w/ electronics pack:

- CF wheels
- Bigger spoiler and lip
- No rear seats
- Chassis tuning

I wish Ford made an R with everything without the rear seat delete option.

Are these parts including the chassis tuning retrofitable?
Sponsored

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You can get rear seats through Ford. Idk price and what not but the issue is getting a R itself. Unless you want to pay a ton of money for one or know a dealer that is willing to be reasonable your best bet is a "normal" 350. Idk about the chassis tuning as well.

Heres a R for sale to prove my point.
http://www.motorcarsofgeorgia.com/u...-atlanta-7ce011b70a0e0a170a2315f89bcd9e84.htm
How do you get rear seats through Ford?

Also does anyone know the specifics of the tuning Ford did for the R? I saw two youtube reviews where people commented how significant both cars felt. I obviously dont know whether the base car they were driving was just base 350 or one with track pack.

I'm sure hype will die down eventually and Ford will make more Rs than they have last year. Anything over 70k and I may as well get a Z06 and anything above 120k, maybe a 991/997 GT3. The point of mustang is its price point and (for me at least) not having to worry about ridiculous expenses for maintenance (as in the case for Porsche).

I am hoping to find one towards the end of this year (especially around winter) for sticker or 5k over.

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
CJ Pony Parts has a kit for $900. Idk if the hype for the R will die down like the 350. It may die down but I don't see many dealers coming off their prices. As far as I know, even for 2017, there will only be 500 Rs a year. Best of luck.

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That link has an R for sale at 175k with 92 miles? Looks like some employees were joyriding it. Ha. Glws hahaha

Sponsored

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
That link has an R for sale at 175k with 92 miles? Looks like some employees were joyriding it. Ha. Glws hahaha
Lol I posted it a while ago. Apparently the guy bought it and drove it to the Aston/ Lamborghini/ ect. dealer on consignment. Someone stated they turned down an offer of $130k. :headbonk:

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thats just crazy. I wonder how much retrofitting everything would cost.

Whats the point of advertising a car like R but not let people buy it? They keep saying GT350 beats a GT3 or runs X time in some track but its the R version that does all that.

Corvettes were also going sticker plus a year and a half ago. Now they are going for 10% off sticker. The hype eventually will die down. We shall unite and be strong! Roma victor!:)

tonio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
You can get rear seats through Ford. Idk price and what not but the issue is getting a R itself. Unless you want to pay a ton of money for one or know a dealer that is willing to be reasonable your best bet is a "normal" 350. Idk about the chassis tuning as well.

Heres a R for sale to prove my point.
http://www.motorcarsofgeorgia.com/u...-atlanta-7ce011b70a0e0a170a2315f89bcd9e84.htm
After going to see that specific car in person I made the changes to my Track Pack that I liked in the R. (Red Calipers, removed resonators) but I wont see the track enough to justify the R premium.

The CF wheels would come off of it out of concern anyway.. I love the spoiler but I love the track pack spoiler as well. I could never push this car to the limits to realize the difference between the R and the track pack, so the regular GT350 works fine for someone like me.

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
After going to see that specific car in person I made the changes to my Track Pack that I liked in the R. (Red Calipers, removed resonators) but I wont see the track enough to justify the R premium.

The CF wheels would come off of it out of concern anyway.. I love the spoiler but I love the track pack spoiler as well. I could never push this car to the limits to realize the difference between the R and the track pack, so the regular GT350 works fine for someone like me.
Exactly. If you were looking for an all out track car or collection item then the R is the way to go. My tech pack is perfect for me. I am going to do the track pack spoiler and red R calipers plus the splitter on the front is way too low on the R. The normal 350 is already plenty low.

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Exactly. If you were looking for an all out track car or collection item then the R is the way to go. My tech pack is perfect for me. I am going to do the track pack spoiler and red R calipers plus the splitter on the front is way too low on the R. The normal 350 is already plenty low.
Does the red calipers come in R only?

Sponsored

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Yes

OP
OP

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I think also seats are different (just the cover).

Is there a simple list of things as to what is different between 350 w/track and the R? This is very confusing to me:(

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Hello,

New to the forums, I am considering either the GT350 or the GT350R. I would love the "R" if it werent for the lack of rear seats, unfortunately Ford decided to make that a no option. This is not my only car, but for a car that is the size of Mustang and the weight, not having rear seats is kind of a problem. One of the selling points for the mustang is I can track this car but if I need to, I should be able to put my car seat in the back and take my family out for a dinner:)

Anyways, brings me to my question, what exactly is the "chassis tuning" that R has and how different is a 350 with a track pack than a 350r with the tech package? My understanding of the differences between the two is :

Gt350 w/track pack vs gt350r w/ electronics pack:

- CF wheels
- Bigger spoiler and lip
- No rear seats
- Chassis tuning

I wish Ford made an R with everything without the rear seat delete option.

Are these parts including the chassis tuning retrofitable?
You got most of the major differences between a GT350 and a GT350R.

Keep in mind that the CF wheels on the R model are wider on both the front and the rear than a regular GT350 and of course that means larger and also much stickier Michelin tires than the GT350.

Other differences are the stiffer springs on the R model than the GT350 and the ride height on the GT350R is at least 1/2" lower and looks to be closer to an inch based on the larger 1 piece front splitter. If you get a chance to put an R model beside a GT350 take a look at the difference in ground clearance as it is substantial in my opinion.

The removal of underlay under the carpet in front and the trunk another small difference. Also the R model has a much larger rear spoiler which is lightweight carbon fiber whereas the Track Pack is made of some sort of composite material.

Lastly, Ford has already produced one R model with a back seat and is chassis #CBB 1" and was a one of one R model produced with a back seat so they already have the technology set up for this configuration.

I sat in that car last week and was able to took some pictures with my cell phone and will see if I can post but will not guarantee how they turned out as I am not good at some of this stuff.

Good luck with your decision!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

shelby_r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 67 GT350, 68 GT350 Con, 65 R Restomod
You got most of the major differences between a GT350 and a GT350R.

Keep in mind that the CF wheels on the R model are wider on both the front and the rear than a regular GT350 and of course that means larger and also much stickier Michelin tires than the GT350.

Other differences are the stiffer springs on the R model than the GT350 and the ride height on the GT350R is at least 1/2" lower and looks to be closer to an inch based on the larger 1 piece front splitter. If you get a chance to put an R model beside a GT350 take a look at the difference in ground clearance as it is substantial in my opinion.

The removal of underlay under the carpet in front and the trunk another small difference. Also the R model has a much larger rear spoiler which is lightweight carbon fiber whereas the Track Pack is made of some sort of composite material.

Lastly, Ford has already produced one R model with a back seat and is chassis #CBB 1" and was a one of one R model produced with a back seat so they already have the technology set up for this configuration.

I sat in that car last week and was able to took some pictures with my cell phone and will see if I can post but will not guarantee how they turned out as I am not good at some of this stuff.

Good luck with your decision!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I'll upload the pictures PP0001 took of the 4 seater R model in another thread shortly :thumbsup:

PMD G8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac G8