Regit

2017 Ford GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 (White/Blue Stripes)
I own a 2017 - GT350 and absolutely love my car. Obviously, I love the GT350R as well. Love seeing that car beat just about everything on the track. However, I have a question.

If you take a stock GT350R vs. a GT350 w/Cup II tires to the track, what's the gap?

I haven't been able to find a direct comparison, even stock vs. stock.

I have to believe the majority of the gap is tires. Then you have CF wheels, aero, springs, no back seats and slightly different suspension tune.

If Probst ran Laguna Seca in 1:36.11 in the "R" I'd guess he'd lap the "Non-R" between 1:38 and 1:39 on the Cup II tires. Do the back-seat delete, install "R" springs, and add camber plates... 1:37 to 1:38?

Depending on the track the additional aero could help or hurt. A lot of high speed turns the aero is great, a lot of long fast straights with low speed turn it hurts.

I'd love to see someone take a stock GT350 and add one "R" component at a time and get a track time for each. Then take a GT350R and get a lap time without the CF wheels to see the difference.

And this is not meant to flame any "R" guys, I think that car is the bomb for it's rarity alone! Only reason I didn't get one was I plan to Mod my car and it didn't make sense to do it to an "R".

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I would agree with your estimates. About 2 seconds worth of aero (downforce), lighter wheels, and less weight.

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It all adds up. You realize though - 2 seconds on a track like MRLS is quite a lot...

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Unless you're using your non-R to the limit already, you won't see much if any improvement stepping into an R... you'll just be that much farther away from what the car is capable of.

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I will be bashed for this, and I don't have sour grapes, if I wanted an R, I would have grabbed an R, but I think the majority of that lap time difference is tires and wheel weight.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
It would be interesting to see a same wheels/tires run by both cars just for comparisons sake.

zzj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H1828
R is about 100lb lighter and about 50lb of it is coming from 4 wheels only which consider as unsprung weight. Plus the tires, rear seats and trunk liner save the rest of the weight.
I think light weight and better tires are the major reasons imo

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
Get some lightweight aluminum wheels and cup2's and it'll compete with the R.

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
This has been something I have been thinking about also. I am ready to upgrade to an "R", but have to question whether it's worth it to me. Is it more about bragging rights and feeling better pulling into a car show with an "R"? Most of the guys that have "R's" aren't using them to their potential, or even to the non-R GT350's potential.

What about just putting Cup2's on a set of wheels and throwing them on my GT350 for when I go to the track? The money I'd save over the upgrade costs to the R would pay for quite a bit.

If you plan on daily driving your GT350, the R seems like more of a worry with the wheels, cup2's, and extra attention you'll get from haters, vandals, etc. I certainly wouldn't want to park one at the mall. :p One damaged wheel could run you $4K.

The "regular" GT350 has so much to offer. Plus the GT500 is right around the corner, and I expect great things from that.

So, I'm waiting for the right deal in order to sway my decision. But I'm completely happy with my '17 GT350 in the meantime.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
This has been something I have been thinking about also. I am ready to upgrade to an "R", but have to question whether it's worth it to me. Is it more about bragging rights and feeling better pulling into a car show with an "R"? Most of the guys that have "R's" aren't using them to their potential, or even to the non-R GT350's potential.

What about just putting Cup2's on a set of wheels and throwing them on my GT350 for when I go to the track? The money I'd save over the upgrade costs to the R would pay for quite a bit.

If you plan on daily driving your GT350, the R seems like more of a worry with the wheels, cup2's, and extra attention you'll get from haters, vandals, etc. I certainly wouldn't want to park one at the mall. :p One damaged wheel could run you $4K.

The "regular" GT350 has so much to offer. Plus the GT500 is right around the corner, and I expect great things from that.

So, I'm waiting for the right deal in order to sway my decision. But I'm completely happy with my '17 GT350 in the meantime.
The R will retain its value better, so there is always that. If you were getting both at MSRP id go with the R.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd be willing to bet the lighter wheels and sticky tires make a very significant difference on any track.

The higher wheel rates (stiffer springs and bars) and lower center of gravity will make a significant difference as well.

The aero is not to be forgotten. I think the R will be quite a bit faster, especially in the hands of an expert. Not taking away anything from the GT350, but there are fairly significant differences between the two.

Even just the smaller overall tire diameter could make a significant difference on a tight track where gearing will help you "get out of the hole" faster.

OP
OP
Regit

Regit

2017 Ford GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
It all adds up. You realize though - 2 seconds on a track like MRLS is quite a lot...
I totally get that... but those 2 seconds are realized in the hands of a professional driver, not you and me. I'd guess the average guy would have an issue seeing any difference.

OP
OP
Regit

Regit

2017 Ford GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Unless you're using your non-R to the limit already, you won't see much if any improvement stepping into an R... you'll just be that much farther away from what the car is capable of.
Amen to that!
Sponsored