2017 Ford GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 (White/Blue Stripes)
False.

I guess my main question would be - why are you worried about it? Take your car to the track and enjoy it instead of concerning yourself with not having bought an R or how close your car can be to an R. I don't really get these threads.
I'm not worried about it, I was just answering someone's statement. Like I said in the original post I think the "R" is the bomb, and am not trying to take anything away from it.

As far as the thread, it's a technical question about the true differences between the cars, nothing more. Sorry if it touched a nerve.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Regit

Regit

2017 Ford GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 (White/Blue Stripes)
And there it is - an inferiority complex and the need for purchase confirmation where it's not required and the reason for most of these r vs non-r threads. Sad.

Do you ever see a thread started by an R owner, trying to fluff up the R and talking down to non-r owners? Cmon.
Stanglife - I didn't start this thread to fluff up the "non R" and talk down to "R" owners. I actually gave love to the "R", the thing is a killer. However, trust me I don't have an inferiority complex about cars...LOL the original Shelby Cobra and Ford GT I use to own cured me of that illness for the rest of my life. I was honestly asking a real question about the difference between the two cars.

As the Joker once asked..."Why so sensitive?"

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT

JRoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford, MKIV, RR
As an R owner, i have no shame in mentioning what ADM I paid, 20K. It is what it is and the way I look at it, I can always make more $$. Is that rich ADM, absolutely but the timing and everything else lined up perfectly for me so I took it.

So those that ridicule people on this forum for paying over MSRP, get over yourself. You have no idea of their circumstances or situation at purchase so who gives you the right to throw them under the bus. And for those that got a better ADM deal or even a MSRP deal, congrats to you on your hard work and persistence!!

:cheers:

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I personally do not believe in ADM and I will not buy with ADM, EVER!

Having said that, I also have not ridiculed anyone that has paid ADM.
I do however believe that those paying ADM's, although they have every right to do as they wish with their money, perpetuate the ADM's. What I mean is although the these car's are really desirable and limited, they really are not worth 80,90, 100K, hence MSRP. Sure the performance is in line with much more expensive cars but paying the ADM essentially negates that argument. I believe in free market , i don't believe in price gouging, thats my opinion. I am buying a used R because I will never ever pay ADM. My GT350 track pack with additional mods could have been as competent as the R. But! for the same money (car and mods) I get a car with all the bits I would have modified my TP with, albeit with a warranty.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I think a lot of "R" owners on here are not being straight up about what they paid over for their "R".. not saying some of you didn't get MSRP, but there seems to be more fairy tale stories about how people paid MSRP than seem realistic. No one really wants to admit that they paid way over sticker for their car on a public forum!

I know an owner of a Ford Dealership, and he won't even give me a deal on one. Can it happen, sure. But there seems to be more people on here claiming MSRP deals than not.

Just an observation.
I some what agree with this.
I just asked a member on this thread what he paid over MSRP and I'm ignored like I asked his yearly income.
I have yet to see anyone get one at MSRP. Not saying it hasn't happened but it would sure be nice.
Well, it's private and personal information. If someone wants to tell you, they will. Not nice to ridicule someone for not sharing.

That said, I'll share...I might have already posted this somewhere but I'm $5k over. Local Ford dealer, closest to my house. Walked in Aug 2015 and they had 1 non-r and 1 R allocation (lottery car) but since they were told that the local rep would tell them when they could add them to the order bank (meaning, when the order would get picked up), they had been telling people to wait. I insisted that I simply wanted it done and to go ahead and put it the order in with a deposit. Thanks to information from this site, I was familiar with this process and knew that, while my order would likely just sit, it would get in there. June 26, 2016 - drove it home.

Some people paid MSRP, but did they get a good deal on their trade? I don't believe that negotiation alone would get a dealer to throw away $10K, or even $5k. If the dealer is your brother or something, or you buy cars from that dealer every year for your business - maybe I could see that. But no normal guy is just going to walk in off the street and get MSRP on an R.
It's not a conspiracy. I've always liked the idea of being "on the list" and being able to buy whatever hot car was arriving but I've always been way too slow.

gtaindetail

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
FWIW, I got to see the ADM the on the three Rs I worked on for clients. One was 17k, one was 20k, one (the first) was 35k. Just some anecdotal info.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I paid $10k over for my R, and yeah in a way I do feel embarrassed, but at the same time I'm trusting that I'm sharing that info with people who aren't going to judge me negatively for it, and that it may help other buyers assess the market. I realize some members here give the impression that getting an R at just over MSRP is relatively easy, but for me it wasn't. I'm in Boston, and in the Northeast the markups are huge. I literally picked up the phone and started calling any dealer in the eastern US that had an order in, allocation, or car in stock. In Louisiana I found a 17 in the exact color scheme I wanted, with the electronics, on order and arriving within a couple weeks. They were asking $20k over. By sheer coincidence I was going to be in Louisiana in 3 weeks for a conference. So I got them down to $10k over and decided to just drive the car back to Boston from there.

I come from a family that's never bought new cars, and instead always bought 1 or 2 year old CPO cars so as to not get hit with the depreciation. So yes, paying over sticker price on a new car bothered me. But in the end it came down to what the car was worth to me. I can't see myself selling this anytime soon, so I don't think much about resale.

Regarding the difference between the GT350 and GT350R, I think much of it will also be an emotional decision. As Redline said, for less than the cost differential between the GT350 and GT350R, you could likely modify a GT350 to be faster on the track. If that's your end goal, then it may very well be the better option. For me, when I was younger I lusted over the pinnacle track versions of the M cars, like the old M3 LTW or CSL. It had nothing to do with what was needed, but instead about the spirit in which the car was made. The raw form speaks to me, and having that pinnacle form of the model. That's how I felt about the 350R.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
FWIW, I got to see the ADM the on the three Rs I worked on for clients. One was 17k, one was 20k, one (the first) was 35k. Just some anecdotal info.
Ouch.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
I paid $10k over for my R, and yeah in a way I do feel embarrassed, but at the same time I'm trusting that I'm sharing that info with people who aren't going to judge me negatively for it, and that it may help other buyers assess the market. I realize some members here give the impression that getting an R at just over MSRP is relatively easy, but for me it wasn't. I'm in Boston, and in the Northeast the markups are huge. I literally picked up the phone and started calling any dealer in the eastern US that had an order in, allocation, or car in stock. In Louisiana I found a 17 in the exact color scheme I wanted, with the electronics, on order and arriving within a couple weeks. They were asking $20k over. By sheer coincidence I was going to be in Louisiana in 3 weeks for a conference. So I got them down to $10k over and decided to just drive the car back to Boston from there.

I come from a family that's never bought new cars, and instead always bought 1 or 2 year old CPO cars so as to not get hit with the depreciation. So yes, paying over sticker price on a new car bothered me. But in the end it came down to what the car was worth to me. I can't see myself selling this anytime soon, so I don't think much about resale.

Regarding the difference between the GT350 and GT350R, I think much of it will also be an emotional decision. As Redline said, for less than the cost differential between the GT350 and GT350R, you could likely modify a GT350 to be faster on the track. If that's your end goal, then it may very well be the better option. For me, when I was younger I lusted over the pinnacle track versions of the M cars, like the old M3 LTW or CSL. It had nothing to do with what was needed, but instead about the spirit in which the car was made. The raw form speaks to me, and having that pinnacle form of the model. That's how I felt about the 350R.
Hey, I am in Boston too... Do you go to any car meets, let me know where.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Don't take the bait... we've hashed this shit out 6 months ago. Is it going to come around every single time the 350R gets props from the media? Let it slide man...not worth the time.

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
Interesting discussion and for $7500 the R is clearly the better deal.

However, the main argument in that you must have the R for max track potential is a bunch of crap. How many professional drivers, say earning a min $500,000 plus a yr behind the wheel do we have on this forum, I'd venture a big none. Thus we have NO ONE here capable to pushing a non-R to it's maximum ability, let alone 'needing' an R.

I've been trying to get a mere 350 for MSRP in Cali for the better part of a year+ (the R is a pipe dream) but having been around Mustangs since a wee child in a 66 and owning every major version since 1999 I'm fairly familiar with the cars ability...and that of most mustang owner/drivers.

In reality- anyone here in a "R" and a real professional, say Scott Maxwell, in a crappy (ha) straight axle like a 2012 Boss 302 on a real track for say 50 laps and guess who wins...it ain't you.

If you really want to get good.... skip the 350 and get a garage queen Boss 302 for say $32,000, make about $5000 in mods to brakes/wheels/tires and spend the rest of your money on a top rated driving school (not a one time one day shot but a real school, practice, back to school, practice, repeat) for less money then the MSRP of an "R" you and your 'crappy' Boss will open a can of whoop ass on anyone here.... just sayin.

oh, have I owned a 12 Boss-- yes and stupidly sold it to chase a MSRP 350. But I'm still chasin and if found I would take the R at MSRP or hell $5k over, which ain't happening... but I'm doing it for the car...not because I need it as a track toy to get the best time (I gave up those fantasies when I left the school yard)....

I love the bench racing arguments but some of you guys really need a dose of reality.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I've been out of the loop on the track stuff for a decade, but $1700 for a set of R compound tires (let's say Hoosier R7 in 295-30ZR19) mounted to the stock rims. Saves 3 lbs./wheel over the SC2, lowers the ride height by 0.2" and provides slightly shorter gearing compared with the R. Throw in camber plates, other suspension tweeks and track alignment...have you ever driven a car with R compound tires?
I'm not sure again what you said here. You know the SC2 is a very lightweight tire, right? 4lbs lighter than PSSs per tire - I think - per tire rack.
Sponsored