Sponsored

GT350R vs EVERYTHING

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
jmn444 - I suspect that the Emira will be INCREDIBLE. I've had a 2017 Evora 400 6sp for almost 4 years and it is an absolutely wonderful car to drive. It's really rowdy and exciting to drive when you put your foot down, the steering is like nothing else, the handling is superb, and even the ride is amazing on bumpy back roads. It sits next to my GT350R and I'm not sure I could choose between them. The Emira is going to be even better.
Sponsored

HuskerGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I didn't buy the R because I bought just as the crazy price increases were starting and I couldn't wait any longer.

However, I'm sure you're right that in some cases R owners don't allow themselves the full enjoyment because of how special the car is. I'm lucky in that way. I deny myself nothing with my lowly non-R GT350:sun:

How do you all think the Camaro ZL1 1LE fits into this conversation? They go like stink.
I own a ZL1 1LE and it's a great track car but not for driving around on the streets. The suspension is super tight and uncomfortable with the bumpy roads in Omaha, NE. The 350 is a great all around car. On the track my ZL1 1LE does not pull on an R in the straights, but in the turns it is faster. The R did not look as planted in the turns, the rear end would get squirly and maybe it was the driver I was behind.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
jmn444 - I suspect that the Emira will be INCREDIBLE. I've had a 2017 Evora 400 6sp for almost 4 years and it is an absolutely wonderful car to drive. It's really rowdy and exciting to drive when you put your foot down, the steering is like nothing else, the handling is superb, and even the ride is amazing on bumpy back roads. It sits next to my GT350R and I'm not sure I could choose between them. The Emira is going to be even better.
Hope so! I've street driven a '21 evora gt and ridden in it on track enough to be sold on the platform. My ONLY issue is that at that price point I feel like another 50-100 hp would really put it in the category it should be in, BUT it's plenty of fun as it is too... as long as the emira is similar I'll be stoked!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
How about a GT500 CFTP?

I know you flipped yours, but I like mine as much or more than my Rs.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
How about a GT500 CFTP?

I know you flipped yours, but I like mine as much or more than my Rs.
One of those things - it's just subjective. The 500 is simply a monster. My thinking for this thread was comparing manual NA cars...as that's my real love, apparently ;)

Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I didn't read every post, so apologies if these cars have been covered already. My opinion, there are better cars. The M2 and C43S AMG come to mind. But for raw fun, track day monster, and that "special" feeling when you get in, my 350 has them both beat. The M2 and AMG are more "I'll have the '14 cabernet" in a suit and tie, where as my car feels like the redneck that just showed up to the wine tasting already drunk as hell from the pre-game session.

I've beaten M2's on the track, but the M2 is more daily drive-able. I would hate to have to drive my 350 every day. It rides rough (Suspension has been re-tuned). Having to drive it every day would take the "special" out of my 350. I can only imagine what an R is like.

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
Hope so! I've street driven a '21 evora gt and ridden in it on track enough to be sold on the platform. My ONLY issue is that at that price point I feel like another 50-100 hp would really put it in the category it should be in, BUT it's plenty of fun as it is too... as long as the emira is similar I'll be stoked!
Yeah the pricing is pretty strong but it is a whole new world when it comes to car pricing these days. I got my Evora brand new for over 20% off MSRP and then added a Komo Tec reflash and Komo Tec shorter final drive. The car is pretty wicked at this point. I have considered the Emira but am going to wait a few years,

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
I just said 350R because that's what I own. IMO, the 350, with higher production numbers really gives you that extra freedom to really drive it anywhere with less heartache. Sometimes I wonder if the extra anxiety of the R actually hurts the fun factor a hair? :) I know, I know, many people DD them.
Jeff - You hit this one square between the eyes from my perspective. When I owned JR265 (base R), I loved what it represented and how it looked/sounded/drove, but there was this undercurrent of being a caretaker, which sorta sucked the fun out of ownership for me.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
^^^ that. I feel like a lot of people end up being owned by the cars vs enjoying the consumable that they really are.

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
I love my 350, but is a Z51 C7 pretty comparable?

Despite similar speed on the track, the 350 was way more fun to me, but in a lot of ways I think it is actually a worse car than the C7. Regardless, I didn't giggle while driving it in the same way so that made my decision for me.

Sponsored
OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Jeff - You hit this one square between the eyes from my perspective. When I owned JR265 (base R), I loved what it represented and how it looked/sounded/drove, but there was this undercurrent of being a caretaker, which sorta sucked the fun out of ownership for me.
Thing to remember, different strokes... Some people buy a toyota camry and wash and wax it constantly and hardly drive it. I realized something about myself (Tomster and my wife know this about me, lol). I'm non-committed to a car. So I'll put this out there.. Perhaps more people who buy Rs or many specialty cars are more like this? Meaning - they know there will be another car they want in the future so for that reason, put low miles or are a little more anxious about devaluing the car they have...not so much because they are too worried about driving it for some unknown reason. For me, I think it's that - I cant own 10 of these things - so I want to make sure the car retains a reasonable amount of its original value for that time when I get the itch ;)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'll say this, if Jeff is driving a GT350R, it is something special. He doesn't let the grass grow under his feet for very long before he starts getting the itch for another car..... that's for sure.

In fact, this thread is probably a disguise to put the feelers out to what may be his next car.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
I always say my favorite car is the next one I'm going to buy.

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
In my opinion, any porsche versus GT350R is an apples to oranges comparison, in terms of seating position, driving style on track, induction noise, etc. If we are comparing front engine, rear drive alternatives with a back seat, the current BMW M3 is a good one. Same physical dimensions and surprisingly curb weight as well. And you can get manual or automatic, and carbon bucket seats 😎. In stock form, the Nurburgring times are close.

The M3 is the ultimate driving machine if you can get over the ugly.