Sponsored

GT350 vs. GT350R

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Thread cleaned up...please keep the bickering out the discussion. Use the ignore feature if you don't want to see posts from others.
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I've been out of the loop on the track stuff for a decade, but $1700 for a set of R compound tires (let's say Hoosier R7 in 295-30ZR19) mounted to the stock rims. Saves 3 lbs./wheel over the SC2, lowers the ride height by 0.2" and provides slightly shorter gearing compared with the R. Throw in camber plates, other suspension tweeks and track alignment...have you ever driven a car with R compound tires?

[MENTION=22916]Zombo[/MENTION] - I'll have to correct myself there. I consider the SC2 a very light tire, compared to the typical radial that I've bought many more of. the size you mention is 28lbs for the SC2 and 25lbs for the R7, so you're right on the money there.

Yes, I have but I've always bought scrubs because Sebring and the local airport runway autox track is VERY coarse and tires simply don't last.
IMG_5865.jpg

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
What do people predict will happen to the used R market by say 2019 or 2020? I'd love to pick a lightly used one up for a weekend and track day toy. I guess it largely depends on what happens with the coming model. Are cars in the 50K range a pipe dream?

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
What do people predict will happen to the used R market by say 2019 or 2020? I'd love to pick a lightly used one up for a weekend and track day toy. I guess it largely depends on what happens with the coming model. Are cars in the 50K range a pipe dream?
I'd say once the new halo mustang comes out that the current GT350/R prices will sink. Same thing happened to the Boss.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I'd say once the new halo mustang comes out that the current GT350/R prices will sink. Same thing happened to the Boss.
What is your definition of "sink" as that is a very broad term?

Obviously used cars prices for regular Mustangs, Boss 302 and Shelby cars will continue to go down once new model Mustangs come out especially a halo car but some older Mustang models will do better than others.

I would suggest that the 2 seat cars such as the Laguna Seca's and the R models will decline a lot less than a regular Boss 302 or regular GT350 based on low production numbers and how the cars are spec'd out compared to their counter parts.

Try to find a '12 or '13 Laguna Seca for sale that has not been modified along with low mileage and comes with the front splitter, trans cooler and brake cooling hose in the FR boxes along with the Boss Owners Kit as there are very few out there and still command a decent price in today's market place.

I recently sold a Laguna Seca at auction that I owned for a number of years and yes it was a Pilot Production car but it sold in the mid $70's and just a couple of years ago sold one of my other LS's for $55K so I know first hand what the 2 seat cars have done recently.

It looks as though that the R model production numbers will exceed that of the 2 year run for the Laguna Seca's but even then I would suggest that a nice condition and low mileage R model with WS and documentation will do just fine down the road when it comes to value.

:cheers:

Sponsored

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
I could care less about owning one for collectibility. It's the same with the GT3RS cars, they always command a premium and ADM when new and no one drives them to protect their "investment". Yet, when the new model comes out, the values plummet. In 10 years time they might be worth something but by then, mileage won't matter as much.

If I ever get my hands on an R I will make sure to track the heck out of it.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I could care less about owning one for collectibility. It's the same with the GT3RS cars, they always command a premium and ADM when new and no one drives them to protect their "investment". Yet, when the new model comes out, the values plummet. In 10 years time they might be worth something but by then, mileage won't matter as much.

If I ever get my hands on an R I will make sure to track the heck out of it.
Understand completely as I tracked many of my cars back in the 70's and 80's when I was much younger and hope that you get the opportunity to track an R model as you will be quite impressed.

Back in 1987 I was tracking a Shelby of different sorts which was a Dodge Omni GLH and a 1987 5.0 notchback Mustang at the same time. Now at my age tracking a car is not at the top of my priority but still enjoy them as best that I can.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Understand completely as I tracked many of my cars back in the 70's and 80's when I was much younger and hope that you get the opportunity to track an R model as you will be quite impressed.

Back in 1987 I was tracking a Shelby of different sorts which was a Dodge Omni GLH and a 1987 5.0 notchback Mustang at the same time. Now at my age tracking a car is not at the top of my priority but still enjoy them as best that I can.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
87 was the year of my birth, good year that one! Thank you sir, I hope I get the chance to also (it would begin with a move back to the US as no Rs downunder.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
87 was the year of my birth, good year that one! Thank you sir, I hope I get the chance to also (it would begin with a move back to the US as no Rs downunder.
1987 was a great year for sure.

I remember buying my first Ford automobile back in the 60's which was a 1967 Mercury Cougar and went drag racing with it.

Just goes to show that I am more than double your age but we still have a common bond with HP Ford automobiles even with our age difference!

BTW, sent you a PM.

;)

Bcobb85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I really never understood the tension that I occasionally see here between GT350 & GT350R owners..."can't we all just get along" lol. The 350 & 350R are nearly identical in every way and to feel any real difference between the two, you would need to be pushing them hard on a track. I think the purchase of one over the other really comes down to personal taste. For some, its the slight edge in performance, rarity or looks that pushes them to the 350R. For others, its the bang for the buck, driveability or (in my case) looks that pushes them to the 350. I love the R for the lap times and stats that its brought to the Mustang. It really has paved the way for all Mustangs. For me, I've always preferred the track pack to the R. I'm sure I'm in the minority but I've never been a huge fan of the style of the wheels (looks wise, I LOVE the fact that they are CF) the red accents (I think the white pinstripes & interior stitching looks the best with Avalanche Gray) and I think the track pack spoiler looks way better than the R wing on the car (I know, I'm weird, lol). And because I don't plan to track the car alot, and 99% of its life will be spent on public roads, I didnt want the hassle of worrying about the wheels (mounting new sets of tires on them, curbing them, people stealing them, etc.) and scrapping the lip (though I do like the lip and may switch to it in the future, lol). IMO, the track pack is a better street car overall so I based my purchase on that. Just like others have based their purchases on other reasons to justify getting the R. If you ask me, anyone who criticizes an R owner for the ADM they paid or for it not being worth the extra money, etc. is probably insecure and wishes they had gotten an R. And any R owner who turns their nose up at a standard 350 owner for not having an R is probably insecure with how much more they paid. At the end of the day, the 350 AND 350R are both equally special cars with the same star of the show...that glorious voodoo V8. So instead of bickering, lets celebrate being FPC brothers!

Last edited:

Sponsored

mike.s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU, 2018 GT350
i agree with you, i like the way the track pack looks better than the R but if i could get one at msrp i would get a base R

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I really never understood the tension that I occasionally see here between GT350 & GT350R owners..."can't we all just get along" lol. The 350 & 350R are nearly identical in every way and to feel any real difference between the two, you would need to be pushing them hard on a track. I think the purchase of one over the other really comes down to personal taste. For some, its the slight edge in performance, rarity or looks that pushes them to the 350R. For others, its the bang for the buck, driveability or (in my case) looks that pushes them to the 350. I love the R for the lap times and stats that its brought to the Mustang. It really has paved the way for all Mustangs. For me, I've always preferred the track pack to the R. I'm sure I'm in the minority but I've never been a huge fan of the style of the wheels (looks wise, I LOVE the fact that they are CF) the red accents (I think the white pinstripes & interior stitching looks the best with Avalanche Gray) and I think the track pack spoiler looks way better than the R wing on the car (I know, I'm weird, lol). And because I don't plan to track the car alot, and 99% of its life will be spent on public roads, I didnt want the hassle of worrying about the wheels (mounting new sets of tires on them, curbing them, people stealing them, etc.) and scrapping the lip (though I do like the lip and may switch to it in the future, lol). IMO, the track pack is a better street car overall so I based my purchase on that. Just like others have based their purchases on other reasons to justify getting the R. If you ask me, anyone who criticizes an R owner for the ADM they paid or for it not being worth the extra money, etc. is probably insecure and wishes they had gotten an R. And any R owner who turns their nose up at a standard 350 owner for not having an R is probably insecure with how much more they paid. At the end of the day, the 350 AND 350R are both equally special cars with the same star of the show...that glorious voodoo V8. So instead of bickering, lets celebrate being FPC brothers!
Good post and I agree with most of what you said. I also wouldn't have bought an R. I do wish I could afford the CF wheels and I'd love to have the rear wing, though. Maybe in another 2-5 years they will become cheap(er).

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'm the opposite, I wanted the R.

I'll probably be the same when is comes to the next SE, if there is an R, I'll get that one... IF it looks nice. I like the zl1 L1E much more than the zl1. The huge wing makes me say...woah.
I don't really like standing out, hence my color combo, i just love the look of the R. Helps that it has minor performance advantage. Doesn't mean I don't like the 350 but may have waited for the next SE if I couldn't get the R.
Sponsored