Sponsored

Post bbq tick users. WHICH OIL?

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Hyperlube zinc replacement is definitely an improvement so far.

Cold start was good today.

Will keep monitoring.

Interesting is that It is not friction modifier like ceratec, xl17.
As expected, nothing has long term impact. Except maybe ceratec.

So the car started ticking again in a few days.
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As expected, nothing has long term impact. Except maybe ceratec.

So the car started ticking again in a few days.
Don't feel bad. There's been a couple guys who said after a few weeks, Ceratec wore out as well, and the tick returned. Not sure how that would be, since technically Ceratec is supposed to embed and plate the metal. But hey, maybe this metal to metal tick is punching right through it.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have tick problem?
Not "the tick", no, but it could be worth a try. The moly that doesn't attach to surfaces stays in suspension in the oil so there's always more there.

I'm at 65k miles and very happy about no tick. Changed to PUP at 1500 miles and never deviated.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I tried the liqui moly friction additive (MoS2) recently, as did @Bluemustang. Both of us are pretty impressed with the changes to the engine sound and feel. Noticeably silkier sound and less valve train noise. My exhaust even sounds a little different (less raspy, oddly). I'll probably keep pouring a 300 ml bottle in every oil change.
Yeah, thanks to @BmacIL for pointing me to this product. It really works. The engine feels better in every way and I should point out that it's quiet.

FWIW - I did have what I felt like was the BBQ tick after an oil change some time ago. I switched to Pennzoil UP 5W-20 and it disappeared. I'd wager that this oil and if add the Liqui Moly stuff on top of it.. might fix the problem.

Sponsored

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I think it is going to come down to doing a fews things in concert.

1.) Run a good synthetic oil like PUP.
2.) Change the oil every 3-4k.
3.) Run a friction reducer like Hyperlube or some others listed here.
4.) Running catch or breathers.
5.) Running good fuel.

If your motor fails after that you definitely got a bad one. Lol.

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Yeah, thanks to @BmacIL for pointing me to this product. It really works. The engine feels better in every way and I should point out that it's quiet.

FWIW - I did have what I felt like was the BBQ tick after an oil change some time ago. I switched to Pennzoil UP 5W-20 and it disappeared. I'd wager that this oil and if add the Liqui Moly stuff on top of it.. might fix the problem.

Is this the stuff
https://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-e...os2-anti-friction-engine-treatment/847015_0_0

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Yep that's the stuff. After a few days of this stuff:

-Engine sounds quieter
-I feel less vibration/resonance (my exhaust drone has reduced by at least 50%)
-Engine response is smoother
-Throttle response and overall power seems improved
-Response seems better when engine is cold and still warming up

Not sure why I would feel more power? But it seems to pull harder. But anyway - regardless... Point is my engine feels overall better because of it. I'm now convinced that it works and will probably use it every oil change if I don't decide to switch to the Cera Tec.

NOW I am SURE someone is going to respond to this quickly and telling me it's snake oil and I'm stupid, don't mess with that stuff yada yada yada. Just sharing my experience.

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Yep that's the stuff. After a few days of this stuff:

-Engine sounds quieter
-I feel less vibration/resonance (my exhaust drone has reduced by at least 50%)
-Engine response is smoother
-Throttle response and overall power seems improved
-Response seems better when engine is cold and still warming up

Not sure why I would feel more power? But it seems to pull harder. But anyway - regardless... Point is my engine feels overall better because of it. I'm now convinced that it works and will probably use it every oil change if I don't decide to switch to the Cera Tec.

NOW I am SURE someone is going to respond to this quickly and telling me it's snake oil and I'm stupid, don't mess with that stuff yada yada yada. Just sharing my experience.
If it gives you piece of mind then continue using it regardless what others think, as long as there isnt any damage to the engine after long term use. Did you pour the whole bottle in? I only have 450ish miles on my 19, and im so worried about this ticking issue.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
If it gives you piece of mind then continue using it regardless what others think, as long as there isnt any damage to the engine after long term use. Did you pour the whole bottle in? I only have 450ish miles on my 19, and im so worried about this ticking issue.
I poured the whole bottle in when the engine was already warm. Give it a good shake and then pour it all in.

Now I have a 2015 GT so mine only requires 8 quarts of oil. I had changed my oil about 500 miles prior to putting the Liqui Moly Mos2 additive in. I noticed a small difference the first day and a larger difference the 2nd and 3rd day. Put it in and tell me if you don't notice any difference.

Sponsored

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I poured the whole bottle in when the engine was already warm. Give it a good shake and then pour it all in.

Now I have a 2015 GT so mine only requires 8 quarts of oil. I had changed my oil about 500 miles prior to putting the Liqui Moly Mos2 additive in. I noticed a small difference the first day and a larger difference the 2nd and 3rd day. Put it in and tell me if you don't notice any difference.
Should i put it in when i change my oil at 1000 miles or just do it now

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
UPDATE: Got my car back after they did some diagnostics for a few days. They know the tick is there. They compared it to another brand new GT on the lot. It also has this tick. They basically chalked it up to what Ford says is a normal noise. The mechanic told me to just go ahead and drive it for now. If it gets noticeably worse, then bring it back in. So, that's what I'll do, for now. My car no longer ticks when it's warm and idling, but does come back when revving in neutral with no load. When there's load on the engine, it seems to go away.

Also, after a week of using half bottle of Ceratec, the engine runs just fine, but the tick has also returned, and is almost as noticeable as before.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Should i put it in when i change my oil at 1000 miles or just do it now

That I don’t know. Some say for example it’s good not use synthetic oil on a brand new engine, helps the break in. Others say they switched to full synthetic from day one.

I don’t know what technically happens when the engine is still breaking in and the repercussions of that.

I don’t see what harm it could do. I would assume more engine friction protection should be better all things being equal.

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
That I don’t know. Some say for example it’s good not use synthetic oil on a brand new engine, helps the break in. Others say they switched to full synthetic from day one.

I don’t know what technically happens when the engine is still breaking in and the repercussions of that.

I don’t see what harm it could do. I would assume more engine friction protection should be better all things being equal.
You would think it would be ok but who knows

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I would be interested to see what’s going on with these genIII Coyote engines. At first I thought everyone was blowing this bbq tick thing out of proportion. But I’ve seen a lot of failures. Hard to say if the tick is a sign of the problem or just a coincidence. Either way it’s weird.
Sponsored