Sponsored

Post bbq tick users. WHICH OIL?

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Why would rod bearing damage be worse with 5w30? The difference in viscosity at normal operating temperature is very small. In fact, they're almost the same. The difference is 5w30 holds it viscosity better at higher temperature. Especially if it's a positive displacement pump forcing oil into the bearing, along with the fact that 5w30 usually has a slightly higher shear strength. This alone will generally provide better protection, though it will have more drag and slightly less gas mileage. Not very noticeable though. Most people have no idea how close 5w20 and 5w30 really are. When you're dealing with an engine that can easily run 5w40 or 50 for drag racing, etc. then using 5w30 is certainly not providing "less" protection, even when it is cold outside.

Where did I say 5w30 will be worse for rod bearings?

You can tell me 5w30 is better all day long, but my engine is telling me another story. Apparently 5w30 is good for rod bearings but lifters do not like it. So I plan on staying with recommended 5w20 and will try Hyperlybe zinc replacement with my current 5w20 mc. If it does not work I'll try 5w20 castrol edge. Possibly will start using ceratec (very reluctantly) and just live my life thinking lifters are not critical.
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Where did I say 5w30 will be worse for rod bearings?

You can tell me 5w30 is better all day long, but my engine is telling me another story. Apparently 5w30 is good for rod bearings but lifters do not like it. So I plan on staying with recommended 5w20 and will try Hyperlybe zinc replacement with my current 5w20 mc. If it does not work I'll try 5w20 castrol edge. Possibly will start using ceratec (very reluctantly) and just live my life thinking lifters are not critical.
I'm sorry, I read your post and got it backwards. You did say the thinner oil would be worse for long term bearing wear. My Bad.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Apparently 5w30 is good for rod bearings but lifters do not like it.
Not sure about that based on my GT's valve train sounds quieter on 5W-30 Valvoline than it did on Motorcraft 5W-20.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I'm sorry, I read your post and got it backwards. You did say the thinner oil would be worse for long term bearing wear. My Bad.
So I just stopped by autoparts store and got hyperlube zinc replacement which is zddp. This additive is transparent white oily thingy, so will not make oil look weird.

Poured it in right at the parking lot and kept driving on my errands.

Coming back home I went through all my tick reproduction spots and can say that on hot engine the impact is pretty close to one ceratec had. I was able to get one or two random ticks during the whole process of driving through different places, climbing slight hills at 1st an 2nd, holding rpms while staying next to the wall, etc.

I will have yet to see what cold engine start scenario would be. And also see how it holds with time and miles.

So not that optimistic just yet. Will update once I go through all cycles. Been there, done that...

If does not work will try castrol edge 5w20 as I said earlier. (currently on 5w20 mc)

Last edited:

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Not sure about that based on my GT's valve train sounds quieter on 5W-30 Valvoline than it did on Motorcraft 5W-20.
Your engine is healthy and gets enough oil everywhere, apparently.

I think that ticking engines have lack of oil flow in 4 cyl area whick causes some of the parts related to valve lifters to starve and tick.

In this situation it might be more benefitial to deliver at least some 5w20 in the area (which might be not as good as 5w30 for lifters) than even less of very good 5w30, that due to viscosity is not getting there very well.

This is just my theory, of course.

Last edited:

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your engine is healthy and gets enough oil everywhere, apparently.

I think that ticking engines have lack of oil flow in 4 cyl area whick causes some of the parts related to valve lifters to starve and tick.
Even though I don't have the ticking and my engine seems healthy, from my experience my engine does seem to sound quieter with the Valvoline 5W-30. I listen to it with the hood up inside the garage when I fire it up and again when I get back from a drive. Like I said before, the oil formulation may have more impact than the viscosity. So not all oils in the same viscosity will sound the same.

As far as oil getting to parts, the positive displacement oil pump isn't going to care if there is 5W-20 or 5W-30 as the pump will provide the same volume of forced flow oil to the oiling system.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Even though I don't have the ticking and my engine seems healthy, from my experience my engine does seem to sound quieter with the Valvoline 5W-30. I listen to it with the hood up inside the garage when I fire it up and again when I get back from a drive. Like I said before, the oil formulation may have more impact than the viscosity. So not all oils in the same viscosity will sound the same.

As far as oil getting to parts, the positive displacement oil pump isn't going to care if there is 5W-20 or 5W-30 as the pump will provide the same volume of forced flow oil to the oiling system.
Like I said before, my engine does not support it. I pour more viscous oil, I get tick louder and in more situations. I wish it listened to your theories and comply.

Something is out of spec and when it is, things do not work as designed.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I said before, my engine does not support it. I pour more viscous oil, I get tick louder and in more situations. I wish it listened to your theories and comply.

Something is out of spec and when it is, things do not work as designed.
Like I said, the oil formulation (what additives are in it) has a big factor too. But if you tried every oil out there and it still ticks then yeah something is probably mechanically messed up.

I don't recall ... did you try Cera Tech, and if so what was the outcome?

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Like I said, the oil formulation (what additives are in it) has a big factor too. But if you tried every oil out there and it still ticks then yeah something is probably mechanically messed up.

I don't recall ... did you try Cera Tech, and if so what was the outcome?
Ceratec made the engine more quiet overall, but did not fix all scenarios for me. So I drained it.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
The Coyote 5.0 is not the only Ford engine with this "typewriter" tick...Check out this video of a diesel Powerstroke 6.7:

Here is another with the possible culprit being a loose thrust washer:

This would make sense as the noise seems to be loudest at the bottom of the engine. However, how 300ml of Ceratec dispersed into 9500ml, 2.5 gallons, of oil can fix this, is the mystery.

FWIW I am in 2K miles in, 6500mi total, with 5w-30 Mobile 1 & Ceratec... Still quiet.

Sponsored

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Hyperlube zinc replacement is definitely an improvement so far.

Cold start was good today.

Will keep monitoring.

Interesting is that It is not friction modifier like ceratec, xl17.

Last edited:

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Hyperlube zinc replacement is definitely an improvement so far.

Cold start was good today.

Will keep monitoring.

Interesting is that It is not friction modifier like ceratec, xl17.
Hyperlube uses KetJenlube 135 as a friction reducer. Used it multiple cars. I put a bottle in my 18 GT at 200 miles and another one at 2000 miles. Changed oil to PUP 5w20 and FL500s filter at 3000 miles. No rattle and only slight clicking on cold start. Once warm motor quiet. :). :). :).

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Had the tick around 28,000 miles. Did a short block change complements of FOMOCO. At first oil change used CeraTec. At 2000 miles since CeraTec I'm happy. It quietens down engine noise overall.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I tried the liqui moly friction additive (MoS2) recently, as did @Bluemustang. Both of us are pretty impressed with the changes to the engine sound and feel. Noticeably silkier sound and less valve train noise. My exhaust even sounds a little different (less raspy, oddly). I'll probably keep pouring a 300 ml bottle in every oil change.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I tried the liqui moly friction additive (MoS2) recently, as did @Bluemustang. Both of us are pretty impressed with the changes to the engine sound and feel. Noticeably silkier sound and less valve train noise. My exhaust even sounds a little different (less raspy, oddly). I'll probably keep pouring a 300 ml bottle in every oil change.
Do you have tick problem?
Sponsored