Sponsored

BBQ tick and oil change oil starvation

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The only problem I have with the whole oil cavitation or oil flashing theory is why does it occur on only some Coyotes? If the ticking was a result of the engine design, then I'd think they all should be ticking, or at least even more cases than what's been reported. That's why I keep thinking the ticking is related to parts clearances and the level of friction between moving parts, and why Ceratec cures the ticking nearly instantly, that is as soon as it takes to change the friction level shortly after adding Ceratec.

Also, there are a lot of high compression and high performance motors in the world, and there is no indication of them all ticking because of their level of compression or performance level. And doesn't the Voodoo have higher compression than the Coyote, yet we rarely hear of a BBQ ticking Voodoo.

It's good to look at all viewpoints from all, and always appreciate your comments Condor.
That is quite true. There's very few if any complaints of the VooDoo ticking. However, the tick does seem to be quite prominent in virtually all diesel engines from Ford, Chevy, and Dodge Cummins. Chevy even put out a TSB for this, and explained why. It is the same explanation that the OP in this thread got from the Ford dealer. However, Chevy even noted that this noise has always been there in diesel engines, but only noticed recently due to the engines being much quieter now. All I know, is that unless I can figure out a way to run my oil pressure higher at idle, I will continue to use Ceratec. Especially since it does stop the ticking by increasing lubricity of the oil, and the hBn solids probably affect the flash point of the oil during rapid pressure drops in the bearings that produce the noise as well.

What's funny, is the tick on mine with 1/2 bottle of Ceratec makes no ticking on startup at 40psi, but as the oil warms and both rpm & pressure starts to drop, I get some ticking. Once the oil is at full temp in the GREEN (and it thins out) it stops ticking, even though oil pressure is at only 12psi. It's really strange.
Sponsored