Sponsored

Post bbq tick users. WHICH OIL?

careature

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 2017 pp
I got new short block, the engine is smooth and silky.

Invoice says they used 5w20.

My personal experience with 5w20 had been - I got tick before the oil change. At around 9k miles 3 weeks at the dealer got me a new block.

l'm not giving fuel efficient 5w20 another chance.

You?

So what are good true synthetic oils out there right now?
Sponsored

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Me neither. If they end up replacing my block, then I will drain that 5w2, and go to 5w30 full syn immediately. If I get so much as a single tick after that, Ceratec is going in without hesitation. In fact, I may just give it a couple hundred miles of break-in with 5w30, then add Ceratec just for spite, tick or not.

My preference is Mobil1 Extended Performance, because it is always at my local Walmart, along with the really good Mobil 1 filters.

Another good one that guys seem to say is helping with engine ticks, is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30.

Last edited:
OP
OP

careature

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 2017 pp
Me neither. If they end up replacing my block, then I will drain that 5w2, and go to 5w30 full syn immediately. If I get so much as a single tick after that, Ceratec is going in without hesitation. In fact, I may just give it a couple hundred miles of break-in with 5w30, then add Ceratec just for spite, tick or not.

My preference is Mobil1 Extended Performance, because it is always at my local Walmart, along with the really good Mobil 1 filters.

Another good one that guys seem to say is helping with engine ticks, is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30.
Well, it could be still 5w20, but with some extraordinary properties.

OP
OP

careature

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 2017 pp
I've spent some time and money on a couple of experiments. Myself got more questions than answers. Here's the sequence of what I did in 3 days and several dozen miles. New short block, no tick, about 100 miles on oil.

Drained MC 5W20 and replaced it with group V synthetic- Red Line 5w30. New MC filter.

What do you think would happen?

I started hearing tick again. Initially occasional it was becoming more and more frequent.

I did not wait long and replaced 5w30 with Red Line 5w20. Did not replace the filter this time. Tick did not go away and in a day came back to almost before short block replacement level/scenarios.

I drain Red Line oil and refill with Pennzoil Ultra platinum 5w20. New filter. Tick is gone.

Guess what... I'll stick with Ultra Platinum 5w20 for as long as I can.

P.S. And before sb replacement life was:

Tick noticed very soon after new car purchase. Did not pay much attention as I did not think that was engine. Drove on MC 5w20 until 6 kmiles replaced with Mobil 1 5w20 EP, - no change, ticking as usual.

Then I realized I had famous bbq tick and short block was replaced.

Last edited:

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
^^^I find it odd how 5w20 Penn UP made the tick go away, yet the Mobil 1 EP did not. Especially since Mobil1 EP has a higher shear strength than the Pennzoil. I wonder what additives Penn UP has that allows it to lubricate better. Maybe a higher level of Moly? Heck I dunno.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I don't think your high quality synthetic oil brand of choice is solving anything. I think if you're engine has a physical problem, it's not oil that will solve it - heavier weight or different brand or whatever.

OP
OP

careature

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 2017 pp
^^^I find it odd how 5w20 Penn UP made the tick go away, yet the Mobil 1 EP did not. Especially since Mobil1 EP has a higher shear strength than the Pennzoil. I wonder what additives Penn UP has that allows it to lubricate better. Maybe a higher level of Moly? Heck I dunno.
Here it says that oil aeration increases oil viscosity.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...for-you-piston-heads-bbq-tick-related.111456/

So if you accept oil bubbles theory (but ditch carbon powder fix) it is somehow logical.

RedLine oils are thick and they say it on bottles. I think their 5w30 is pretty much 5w40 and 5w20 is more like 5w30.

Oil aeration increases viscosity even more.

So I think we might be dealing with two types of situations here - engines with oil aeration present and engines without oil aeration.

Those that have it like low viscosity oils.

Reading article in the link above I even thought - what if they tried to make intentional use of oil aeration to increase 5w20 viscosity in selected spots? I.e. it is not a bug but feature. And this is why they cannot fix it. Maybe fixing it will make things worse.

It's just some engines have planned aeration, but some have just a tad over norm and tick.

OP
OP

careature

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 2017 pp
I don't think your high quality synthetic oil brand of choice is solving anything. I think if you're engine has a physical problem, it's not oil that will solve it - heavier weight or different brand or whatever.
Agree. But I'm tired of a process of recent sb replacement. I will be back until warranty expires and will ask for long block. As it seems like sb is the part that fails, but the cause is in lb.

Will keep monitoring the tick.

Last edited:

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Anti-Foam agents.
Some better than others.
Some deplete faster than others.
Some dose higher than others.

It’s an easy experiment with Fleetrite Defoamer supplement.

Just one mans opinion.

Sponsored

alanpv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium
I just ordered 5W30 Penz UP from Walmart, seems to be highly reviewed on all forums and in UOA, as well as others personal experience. $24.31 5qt jug from Walmart, seems like an affordable test if others want to give it a try. Look at the shearing percentages from this table. http://www.svtperformance.com/threads/official-gt-5-0-boss-302-uoa-thread.805918/
Don't forget the online rebate.

I don't have tick. I bought the car at 8700 mi and changed it out to PUP 5w20 immediately.

OP
OP

careature

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 2017 pp
You know what I now think after above research?

Engines with the tick have tighter clearances than engines without the tick.

Right, not the other way around!

Factory oil is most likely is break-in thinner oil.

Thinner oil penetrates better, so no tick, plus it looses viscosity over time.

This is also why tick goes away for some if they just keep driving. Oil looses viscosity and penetrates better, so the tick goes away.

Then people make the oil change and new thicker oil does not penetrate well, thus metal to metal contact - engine is ticking immediately following oil change.

So those whose engine is ticking should look for high quality thin oil that would penetrate better.

Doesn't it explain all?

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
You know what I now think after above research?

Engines with the tick have tighter clearances than engines without the tick.

Right, not the other way around!

Factory oil is most likely is break-in thinner oil.

Thinner oil penetrates better, so no tick, plus it looses viscosity over time.

This is also why tick goes away for some if they just keep driving. Oil looses viscosity and penetrates better, so the tick goes away.

Then people make the oil change and new thicker oil does not penetrate well, thus metal to metal contact - engine is ticking immediately following oil change.

So those whose engine is ticking should look for high quality thin oil that would penetrate better.

Doesn't it explain all?
That does make sense, but at this point who really knows. Maybe i'll try 0w16 pennzoil

OP
OP

careature

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 2017 pp
That does make sense, but at this point who really knows. Maybe i'll try 0w16 pennzoil
there's 0w20 out there. But even 5w20s are not all equal.

pennzoil ultra platinum 5w20 shows less oil pressure than mc 5w20 on my car. And redline 5w20 is pretty much 5w30.

so try it and be still compliant with mfg recommendations.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
there's 0w20 out there. But even 5w20s are not all equal.

pennzoil ultra platinum 5w20 shows less oil pressure than mc 5w20 on my car.
interesting, mc 5/20 made my tick louder and more consistent
Sponsored