Sponsored

BBQ Tick Solved?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Does anyone know if the 2018+ Coyote still has piston oil squirters like the 2015-2017? I can see where oil squirters could help piston skirt lubrication.

Cera Tec seems to quiet down engine ticks (caused by more than one issue it seems) in both Gen2 and Gen3 Coyotes.
I'll make a guess and say "yes". I think the general piston design with oil passages are the same. They just made the diameter slightly larger, and I "assume" they changed the pin boss location slightly to try and compensate for the change in CG. If they didn't...Oh boy..:frown:
Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
2018 still uses the piston oil squirters however the oil sprays up under the piston in the dome area to draw heat out, I don't think much of the oil if any would reach the skirts. But with all the windage and 80 psi of oil pressure anything is possible. Does Cera Tec turn the oil a milky color ?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
2018 still uses the piston oil squirters however the oil sprays up under the piston in the dome area to draw heat out, I don't think much of the oil if any would reach the skirts. But with all the windage and 80 psi of oil pressure anything is possible. Does Cera Tec turn the oil a milky color ?
Yes, it turns slightly milky. Almost looks like aerated oil. Not quite that bad, but noticeable.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I've had cars since I was 16 and have never used any oil additives, now with a brand new car people are forced to add these snake oils to mask a sound that the manufacturer can't explain. I still don't understand the fact that Ford is replacing short blocks yet there is no evidence of the cause, and if they don't know why it's doing it won't the new engine do the same thing. You can't fix an issue if you don't know the root cause.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I've had cars since I was 16 and have never used any oil additives, now with a brand new car people are forced to add these snake oils to mask a sound that the manufacturer can't explain. I still don't understand the fact that Ford is replacing short blocks yet there is no evidence of the cause, and if they don't know why it's doing it won't the new engine do the same thing. You can't fix an issue if you don't know the root cause.
I here ya. When you think of an engine design though, it's a question of design and needed lubrication. For example... You could design an engine to easily run on 5w20 oil with 72,000psi shear strength. If you ran the same engine with water as a lubricant, it would fail. But you can still claim that water is a lubricant. When you make a change to an existing engine design that did fairly well with a certain lubricant, those changes may start going beyond what that original lubricant can provide. Ceratec, is not snake oil. There are definitely snake oils on the market. In fact most are just thickeners that do very little. My point, is that regular motor oils are adding more and more of these Boron nano-particle type lubricants to enhance capability to the base stocks. That's why guys switching from Motorcraft 5w20 to Pennzoil UP 5w30 are having success. Or even staying with Motorcraft 5w20/30 and adding Ceratec, also having success. The problem is, we are switching "after hearing the problem". That means we are providing the proper lubrication to an engine that "may" have already suffered a small amount of damage.
I think this whole discussion, is just us trying to figure out exactly what the problem is, why it's occurring, and what we can do to fix it. I'm certain Ford is doing the same thing. They're not blind. They probably have their own Engineers keeping tabs on these forums. They want to know what's going on just as much as we do. Until they can finally discover the real problem, and a proper cure, whether it be changing oil specs, or a slight design modification, remains t be seen.

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Ford seems to always push things into market without the proper r&d time. They made major changes to the gen 3 coyote and are now trying to figure out the problems. Even if they come up with a solution many people will have a sour taste in their mouths, I believe it will hurt future sales and the overall reputation of the company. I knew about the issues in the 18's and figured that if there were any un resolved issues that they would most certainly be resolved for the 2019 model. That doesn't appear to be the case if there is in fact a bad run of motors like Ford claims, it makes me wonder if they even have the means to identify and track down the build dates. It would appear they have no clue and that's why the problems are still around for the 2019 year.

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Ford seems to always push things into market without the proper r&d time. They made major changes to the gen 3 coyote and are now trying to figure out the problems. Even if they come up with a solution many people will have a sour taste in their mouths, I believe it will hurt future sales and the overall reputation of the company. I knew about the issues in the 18's and figured that if there were any un resolved issues that they would most certainly be resolved for the 2019 model. That doesn't appear to be the case if there is in fact a bad run of motors like Ford claims, it makes me wonder if they even have the means to identify and track down the build dates. It would appear they have no clue and that's why the problems are still around for the 2019 year.
I assure you they have a "clue"
I have not experienced a bitter taste in my mouth yet. Hopefully never will. Miles will tell accordingly to others here. I love my 18. Other than carPlay has never skipped a beat.

The remedy you ask for will likely appear as doing away with your beloved pony car and replacing it with a 4 door electric vehicle in 2022

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I still don't understand the fact that Ford is replacing short blocks yet there is no evidence of the cause, and if they don't know why it's doing it won't the new engine do the same thing. You can't fix an issue if you don't know the root cause.
Ford wouldn't replace short blocks without knowing what's going on. We never hear what the root cause(s) are because dealers usually don't do a complete tear down and detailed inspection because they would lose their butt big time on a warranty jobs, which is already paying less than If it wasn't a warranty job.

Only way we'll ever know what the real cause is if some Tech at a dealership does a detailed tear down and gives out the info, or someone does their own tear down or has a good independant shop do a tear down.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Ford wouldn't replace short blocks without knowing what's going on.
If that statement were true then why are people that had short blocks replaced still having the same issues, Ford put a car into service with a faulty engine and or design flaw until they resolve the issue their credibility has slipped down a few notches in my book. This problem is being played down by many saying it's only a small amount of cars that are affected, yet there are new videos popping up almost daily about the issue. This problem is bigger than most people realize and you will continue to see more and more popping up.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
If that statement were true then why are people that had short blocks replaced still having the same issues, Ford put a car into service with a faulty engine and or design flaw until they resolve the issue their credibility has slipped down a few notches in my book. This problem is being played down by many saying it's only a small amount of cars that are affected, yet there are new videos popping up almost daily about the issue. This problem is bigger than most people realize and you will continue to see more and more popping up.
Maybe Ford replaces short blocks because they know it's a manufacturing issue, not a design issue. Maybe they can't tell which short blocks sitting in the warehouses are good vs bad, so they roll the dice since they aren't going to tear eac one down and inspect before shipping out. That's why some guys get a replacement short block that goes south too. Some guys get a good short block and don't have a repeat ticker.

A company can have the best engine design described by drawings and manufacturing specifications, but if Ford and/or their parts suppliers can't make parts to drawing and specs, and can't assemble parts correctly during production, then almost anything can happen. Lack of QA and processes that ensures quality.

I think it's more of a parts and manufacturing problem since not all engines have the problem. If it was a design problem it would be even more prevelant than it seems right now.

careature

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 2017 pp
The data files show an adjustment for piston slap. I wonder if our lower power rhd cars have a more conservative map?

VCM.png
I wonder if knock sensor is fooled by the rod/piston/whatever sound and is retarding ignition.

That would mean engines with this issue might not be producing advertised power.
Sponsored