Sponsored

BBQ Tick Question

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
Hey Guys,

I was a bit curious about the BBQ tick. I have a 2018 GT that has 14k miles on it..... the car has pretty much always had the BBQ tick around to it. The tick is very mild and quiet on a cold start and seems ok. With this car, it always sounds HORRIBLE on a warm start, the tick is CRAZY. Today I wanted to confirm and ask you guys if the BBQ tick is always worse after an oil change? I just had a normal service done at my dealership, which included and oil change and I feel like it's ticking more than it ever has before. Unrelated but this 2018 also has the 2k rattle as well.

Please listen to the attached video. You can see how loud it is and I'm not even near the engine bay. I've obviously created the worst circumstances for the noise.... indoors so the sound can radiate and this is on a WARM start where it was already at it's worst.

Does this seem like the "normal" tick to you... or worse? Also my dealer is sort of going crazy with the oil as well... this time they used 5W-20 but on the sticker for next time it says 5W-30. Any idea why they would be changing it around other than a mistake?

Thank you and appreciate your feedback!
Sponsored

OP
OP
bschoon55

bschoon55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro 2 SS 1LE, Former 2018 Mustang GT.
Lots of information there. I was more so curious if people thought mine still sounds like the tick or something worse? It can get worse right after oil changes... correct?

DolomiteGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertable
Sounds like every other type writer tick I have heard. I thought I had the tick, but I checked recently and can't hear it. Then again I switched to 5w-30 on my last oil change, so I'm not sure. On my next change I plan on tossing two bottles of Ceratec in for good measure. I suggest you do the same. Seems like there has been a lot of people who have had good luck with it.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Lots of information there. I was more so curious if people thought mine still sounds like the tick or something worse? It can get worse right after oil changes... correct?
Hard to tell because it's at a fast cold start idle. If it has the BBQ tick you'll hear it at hot idle too, and it's easier to tell when it's idling at 650 RPM.

Sponsored

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
My 2017 had the tick just like that, very loud especially after a warm restart. I felt embarrassed that my car sounded like that driving through parking lots, people looking at me like my car is breaking down.

I found Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 ticked much less than Motorcraft or Mobil 1 oils. And half a bottle of Ceratec made it go away entirely like others here report.

I had to rebuild my engine earlier this summer after a track day when I lost compression in 2 cylinders. Ignoring the two pistons with cracked ring lands, the rest of the engine was immaculate with 19,XXX miles. I was expecting to see bearing wear that would have contributed to the ticking noise. There was no wear on the rods, mains, or cam journals. I could still read the ink stamp on some of the bearings.

After the rebuild the BBQ tick is gone but I traded it for the 2k rattle like the Gen 3 engines have :crazy:. I figure it is slight piston slap since I am running forged pistons with more clearance.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
yep, that's the bbq tick, change your oil to 5w 50 and it will go away....

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
OP, your 'tick' is not any worse than most, so I'd say it's 'normal'. But no way I could live with that embarrassing noise. And yes, it's very common that it rears its ugly head after an oil change, typically the first or second. I already went to the 1st, and so far so good. Went with Mobil1 0/30, but obviously there was old oil leftover in there (changed it at 1,128 miles). The second time will basically be all M1 0/30, so that will be the better test IMO. Hope it doesn't show up then.

At any rate, I personally wouldn't put 5/50 in there, but would definitely switch to 0/30 or 5/30 first. If no luck, I'd reluctantly add 1/2 a bottle of Ceratec at a time, until it quiets down. Hopefully you don't have to pour the recommended 2 bottles for 10 quarts; the less the better. Good luck, and keep us posted what happened.

BigRed550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Has anyone had Ford change their oil after adding ceratec? I’m curious if they will say anything or if there will be any issues if I take it to Ford. I may swap the oil myself this time and then take it to Ford a couple thousand after.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It's better if you do it yourself man. Reportedly Ceratec becomes unnoticeable after 3K miles, but unless you can verify that's the case, I wouldn't risk it. The manual clearly states not to use crap like that, so better be safe than sorry. Hope I never have to consider adding it to my car. My car passed the 1st oil change test, but it's still too early to claim victory, with only 4,300+ miles. Second oil change will come at 6K miles, when I also want to do the tranny and diff. Need to find out the tranny drain plug thread size/pitch to buy a magnetic plug for it, since it doesn't come with one. If somebody knows what it is, I'd greatly appreciate the info. Nobody seems to know. Thx.

Sponsored

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It's better if you do it yourself man. Reportedly Ceratec becomes unnoticeable after 3K miles, but unless you can verify that's the case, I wouldn't risk it. The manual clearly states not to use crap like that, so better be safe than sorry. Hope I never have to consider adding it to my car. My car passed the 1st oil change test, but it's still too early to claim victory, with only 4,300+ miles. Second oil change will come at 6K miles, when I also want to do the tranny and diff. Need to find out the tranny drain plug thread size/pitch to buy a magnetic plug for it, since it doesn't come with one. If somebody knows what it is, I'd greatly appreciate the info. Nobody seems to know. Thx.
Of course the manual says not to use additives because Ford never tested them. A local very well known performance shop who focuses on S550's has been using Ceratec for years in many cars and haven't had 1 issue from it. They swear by it and get good feedback. Even those who do a Blackstone analysis seem to have good results. Always a mxed debate with the product though just like brands of oils. I haven't used it myself as I don't need it.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Ford dealers were putting the Motorcraft XL-17 "friction modifier" additive in Coyotes for the BBQ tick back in the early days of the Coyote. Motorcraft XL-17 isn't made anymore however.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I think it's still made, but it's for the differential, no? And they make another one for the MT-82 tranny.
Sponsored