Sponsored

Temperature problems on high speed circuit

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If it were me - I'd ditch the factory coolers and go with aftermarket that incorporates electric fans, larger diameter lines and high volume cores.

IMO, the factory parts are more or less to get a new owner started on a track, but not sufficient enough for full time, back to back hours of racing, or balls to the wall track situations.

Has anyone stepped out of this sub-forum to read this below thread, which shows the install of an aftermarket setup? I mean, this is the way I'd go for a dedicated track car OR even one that sees 50% track use - because it's the right type of setup for keeping things cool for a differential.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...l-instal-and-an-fittings.157086/#post-3209774

The same type of system could be implemented for upgrading a trans cooler as well.

Sure it's costly to upgrade, but if you want to play and ACTUALLY keep temps down, the aftermarket systems are not only better but more efficient/effective than any of the "pull it from the pile" factory parts.
Sponsored

Last edited:

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
So 103 C may not be high enough to initiate the pump action. On track I've seen mine stabilize around 108 C.

My diff gets into the low 90 C just cruising on the highway on hot days.

I hear there is some sort of track event at Monza this weekend. Bring your car down there again and log data that way :giggle:

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
Hello 😃

Unfortunately, during the differential oil change, we could not see if the differential pump is working.
I have found on the ForScan program only how to log the data, but not how I activate/deactivate the differential pump. :facepalm:

Anyway we changed the differential oil yesterday. Today I did a test drive on the German Autobahn.

Outside temperature: 19 degrees / 66.2 °F
Speed driven: 120-200 kmh / 75 - 124 mph
Test duration: about 20min.

The differential temperature rose continuously! Even if I drove slower, the differential temperature hardly got lower.
At 103 °C / 217 °F I stopped the test. ForScan always showed "Diff Pump Off" during the whole test. :lipssealed:

The outside temperature was very cool compared to my last track day and the speed was not really fast, yet the temperature kept going up.

I don't think it should be like that.

-Does anyone know if GT350 differential pump go break down?
-At what temperature does the differential pump turn on?
-Does anyone know, where to find the function in ForSCan to turn the pump on/off?

Thanks for the help ✌

diff temp forum.jpg
is this in the read or control state? when you get to the control state you can double click on that cell that says r_diff_pump. if you look back at my last comment there is button a slider on the bottom with 3 lines, that will allow you to change from read to control. i will be able to use forscan later today if you have more questions

Last edited:
OP
OP
GT_350

GT_350

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Shelby GT350 Track Pack

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
@matthewr87
do you know at what temperature the differential pump switched on? Or is it always on?
I won't drive a track day, if it's already getting too hot on the freeway. :)

@ihasnostang
I'll have to test it again later.
does the engine have to running to test the diff. pump?

Is this guide correct:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/forscan-use-help.143247/page-2#post-2936794
i would recommend running the engine when testing, too low of voltage can be bad for the various computers. That looks like a good guide yes.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hello 😃

Unfortunately, during the differential oil change, we could not see if the differential pump is working.
I have found on the ForScan program only how to log the data, but not how I activate/deactivate the differential pump. :facepalm:

Anyway we changed the differential oil yesterday. Today I did a test drive on the German Autobahn.

Outside temperature: 19 degrees / 66.2 °F
Speed driven: 120-200 kmh / 75 - 124 mph
Test duration: about 20min.

The differential temperature rose continuously! Even if I drove slower, the differential temperature hardly got lower.
At 103 °C / 217 °F I stopped the test. ForScan always showed "Diff Pump Off" during the whole test. :lipssealed:

The outside temperature was very cool compared to my last track day and the speed was not really fast, yet the temperature kept going up.

I don't think it should be like that.

-Does anyone know if GT350 differential pump go break down?
-At what temperature does the differential pump turn on?
-Does anyone know, where to find the function in ForSCan to turn the pump on/off?

Thanks for the help ✌

diff temp forum.jpg
So, I had a noise problem on my car a week ago - sounded like a bearing failing in the engine cooling fan - so I pulled up Forscan and tried to control the fan from the laptop. Couldn't figure out how, and I know it can do it because I've been running the diff pump every fluid change for five years now. But, I hadn't run it recently and for the life of me, I couldn't get access to the controllable PIDs.

Well, Google found the answer on the Forscan forum. Here's a screenshot:

1662654897992.png

The red arrow points to a button that opens a new window with the PID controls in it. Boom. Done.

And, why had I missed it? Well, first, the button is in an obscure location away from the rest of the control buttons. Second, my new laptop has a 4k 14" screen. The icons and buttons in Forscan are extremely small on that screen - almost unseeable. In any case, once I realized what I wasn't doing, I did it and it worked. And the engine cooling fan sounds fine, by the way.

OP
OP
GT_350

GT_350

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Shelby GT350 Track Pack
well... it seems to work when standing... (switch on sound).
in the back screen it says "diff pump on"! shouldn't this also happen when driving at a certain temperature?? :facepalm:

does anyone know at what temperature the fuc**ing pump switches on?:blush:
because i don't think it switches on when driving.

it can't be that i had 103 °C / 66 °F today and the pump was off. 🥴

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If it were me - I'd ditch the factory coolers and go with aftermarket that incorporates electric fans, larger diameter lines and high volume cores.

IMO, the factory parts are more or less to get a new owner started on a track, but not sufficient enough for full time, back to back hours of racing, or balls to the wall track situations.

Has anyone stepped out of this sub-forum to read this below thread, which shows the install of an aftermarket setup? I mean, this is the way I'd go for a dedicated track car OR even one that sees 50% track use - because it's the right type of setup for keeping things cool for a differential.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...l-instal-and-an-fittings.157086/#post-3209774

The same type of system could be implemented for upgrading a trans cooler as well.

Sure it's costly to upgrade, but if you want to play and ACTUALLY keep temps down, the aftermarket systems are not only better but more efficient/effective than any of the "pull it from the pile" factory parts.
The factory diff coolers on the GT350 (and, I presume, on other S550 models equipped with diff coolers from the factory) are more than adequate to keep the diff working fine.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
well... it seems to work when standing... (switch on sound).
in the back screen it says "diff pump on"! shouldn't this also happen when driving at a certain temperature?? :facepalm:

does anyone know at what temperature the fuc**ing pump switches on?:blush:
because i don't think it switches on when driving.

it can't be that i had 103 °C / 66 °F today and the pump was off. 🥴
It's not obvious to me that you can totally trust Forscan on this particular PID. As far as I know from looking at the service manuals, etc, the diff pump is variable speed - either continuously variable or in steps, I'm not sure. However, if Forscan is looking for an On-Off signal, then it might not tell you the pump is running when it's below full speed. All I know is that the diff temp on a race track runs up to just over 100C and pretty much stays there. Something is keeping it from getting hotter...

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The factory diff coolers on the GT350 (and, I presume, on other S550 models equipped with diff coolers from the factory) are more than adequate to keep the diff working fine.
Only thing I'd say is you can overheat the OEM setup. Not sure what it exactly takes, but I had mine freak out when I hit 330* at Road Atlanta. But COTA in 100* heat? Never an issue. It's weird that way.

Sponsored

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
if you get someone to send you a stock HPtuners map i believe you can look at the map in their program for free to see pump temp settings.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
@matthewr87
do you know at what temperature the differential pump switched on? Or is it always on?
I won't drive a track day, if it's already getting too hot on the freeway.
Unfortunately I've never been able to get a definite answer on this. All I can say is that it reaches around 108C on track and seems to level out there.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
So 103 C may not be high enough to initiate the pump action. On track I've seen mine stabilize around 108 C.

My diff gets into the low 90 C just cruising on the highway on hot days.

I hear there is some sort of track event at Monza this weekend. Bring your car down there again and log data that way :giggle:
thats like 217.4 degrees F, should be plenty to necessitate cooling. seems like from 175-190 is what people are saying it should kick on at.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...the-differential-cooler-pump-initiate.161854/

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
if you get someone to send you a stock HPtuners map i believe you can look at the map in their program for free to see pump temp settings.
I looked through a couple of GT350 tunes and I see nothing for diff. I believe this is a forscan thing. Probably in the BCM.