GT500 airbox and lid on GT350

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Did it on my 16R and 20R. Interstate speeds, you can see it moving. Any quick pull to 100+, it really starts lifting. Maybe you're not looking a tthe same area I am..or... How tall are you? :)
Taller than most….6’4”+/-. Cannot fit two finger widths between my head and roof.
Obviously it’s a problem for some. Don’t know why it wouldn’t be an issue for everyone though. Does it happen each and every time with or without cross winds?
The Mrs had an 80’s Z car back in the day that would develop hood lift with heavy cross winds.
Maybe I’m just not noticing it, haven’t tracked my car. I’m embarrassed to say I’ve hit 140 on back roads which is pretty stupid on my part. Certainly didn’t notice it in Charlotte either.
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Just a GT, but on my car the hood lift got MUCH less when I put hood struts on and got rid of the prop. I also adjusted my hood lips to be JUST a bit lower than the front bumper instead of even with it.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Taller than most….6’4”+/-. Cannot fit two finger widths between my head and roof.
Obviously it’s a problem for some. Don’t know why it wouldn’t be an issue for everyone though. Does it happen each and every time with or without cross winds?
The Mrs had an 80’s Z car back in the day that would develop hood lift with heavy cross winds.
Maybe I’m just not noticing it, haven’t tracked my car. I’m embarrassed to say I’ve hit 140 on back roads which is pretty stupid on my part. Certainly didn’t notice it in Charlotte either.
Yes, it happens 100% of the time. On my 16, I installed some pretty OEM-looking weatherstripping on the op the headlights where the hood closes but it made no difference which led me to believe what these race teams already have worked to solve - it's caused from air pressure inside the engine bay. Perhaps it's more pronounced with some combo of the R splitter and/or the R grill opening.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
Just a GT, but on my car the hood lift got MUCH less when I put hood struts on and got rid of the prop. I also adjusted my hood lips to be JUST a bit lower than the front bumper instead of even with it.
Hard to believe the hood struts would help but that was a mod I made early on as well.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I will be finding out this spring if my hood lifts at higher speed at the track. I just do not run WFO on the street for many reasons. I put foam insulation on the headlights & adjusted the bump stops, and that eliminated the flutter at highway speeds into a very strong headwind which I calculated to be about 35mph with gusts to 50 (105-120MPH) and had no flutter.

Sponsored

SL8888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT-350 # K1989
Just curious what year your GT350 is. My ‘19 has zero hood lift up to 140mph.
I'm in your boat Fred, I had my 19 up to a Buck 60 on I-75 (April of 2020, I was the only car on the road) during the "Pandemic" and my hood was tighter than a new bride.......Um no hood lift either.....

Eagle-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I recently installed Trac Spec GT4 vents on the hood of my GT350. I wanted to cover the airbox and looked at several options. I settled on retrofitting the GT500 airbox, lid and fender seal on my car. I ordered the parts and waited for them to arrive. Once they showed up, I removed to the stock GT350 airbox and transferred a couple of grommets, a plug at the bottom, the horseshoe nuts and the intake nozzle (500 uses the same intake nozzle as the 350) from the stock air box to the 500 air box and it bolted right up. I used the hardware from the GT350 box because I wanted to use the studs from the 350 airbox so I could use the wire harness retainers. The 500 air box lid came with the necessary hardware and it all bolted right up. I did have to use weatherstripping on the air box and the lid to properly seal the intake tube. The intake tube is slightly larger on the 500 so the gap needs to be closed. The install looks like it came from the factory that way and now I have peace of mind that the filter will stay dry and is safe from moisture.
485FA2A5-A71C-4F00-AB6F-4F367317A2C7.jpeg
63F4D991-3B96-4F51-B4B6-A4233047A370.jpeg
91C981F9-1C82-4C84-B9C9-B8186FC581B6.jpeg
Great job there Racerxray1. I plan on doing the same thing to my '17 gt for most reasons people are doing it for, lower IAT and so that water won't get on the filter. Got the FPP2 so going to do everything at the same time when i install it.
Sponsored