Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd create a fun thread to share my GT350 adventures. As time goes by, I'm hoping to update with videos, pictures and text as we find new roads, take road trips, install mods, and start driving on the track.

My wife and I both thought one of the really parts of our parents' lives was how they came of age in the height of the American car scene. Whether it was one them specifically or one of our family friends, we grew up listening to them recount cherished memories that included iconic American automobiles - Mustangs, Camaro's, Buicks, etc...in the form of road trips, fun roads, hot rod-ing, or racing their friends. A few of them, they still have these cars (my father, for example, still has his '71 Plymouth Road Runner and his '61 Ford Custom). We always thought it was so cool to see something so important to them be carried on through the family.

My wife and I decided we wanted to get our own special car and make tons of those cherished memories in it as well. After a year of searching and test driving, the GT350 was the easy choice. It took a year, but we finally picked it up in October '16.

We've had a few small adventures since then, but the first real one starts on Saturday as we drive it from Seattle, WA down Highway 101 to San Diego. For our delayed honeymoon, we are taking a 14 day Pacific Coast road trip. We are pretty excited. We'll be spending a few days each in San Francisco, Santa Barbara, LA/Santa Monica, and San Diego along with a few random days in between those areas. If any of you have any recommended driving roads, places to visit or want to meet up for beers/cruise, let me know. Would love to have local knowledge and meet some fellow members.

Bosshog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J-RO
Vehicle(s)
17' 350R // 16' FOCUS RS
How are the roads? I remember driving my Boss from Sacramento to Seattle and having some snow flurries to deal with!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
How are the roads? I remember driving my Boss from Sacramento to Seattle and having some snow flurries to deal with!
We *should* be okay. We are planning on driving along the coast where it's 10-15 degrees warmer -- which looks to be mid-40s at the moment.

Hoping to stay off 5 as we've done that a couple of times already. Plus, we want to avoid the mountain passes because of the salt as well.

On a side note: we have to meet up and go for a drive man!

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Good luck on the journey. Sacramento is a little far from 101, but if you stop through send me a PM.

Highway 101 is a great road and it should take you through all the good scenery. Some of the Redwood trails in Humboldt are truly amazing for a short hike if weather permits. Highway 299 is closed last I checked due to a rock slide.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Try to avoid the Siskyou's this time of year. Have a great time. We should get a rally together for all of us northwest folk this summer. Lots of great roads and terrain to explore! Hwy 20 over to Chelan sounds attractive to me.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
When you're around San Fran go check out Muir Woods (coastal redwood forest). There's an easy foot path through the woods and some nice views to and from there.

El Diablo

Made in USA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Awesome... can't wait for the pics/vids.

Bosshog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J-RO
Vehicle(s)
17' 350R // 16' FOCUS RS
Try to avoid the Siskyou's this time of year. Have a great time. We should get a rally together for all of us northwest folk this summer. Lots of great roads and terrain to explore! Hwy 20 over to Chelan sounds attractive to me.
This I am TOTALLY DOWN FOR!! :headbang:

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This I am TOTALLY DOWN FOR!! :headbang:
Let's do it. Have you checked some of the roads around Mt. Rainier national park? Some great roads there too. Although the speeds are a bit lower.

ghig302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss
When you are in San Diego or LA, see if there is a Mustang run. I have been on several, and they are always fun...

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
Hi everyone,

I thought I'd create a fun thread to share my GT350 adventures. As time goes by, I'm hoping to update with videos, pictures and text as we find new roads, take road trips, install mods, and start driving on the track.

My wife and I both thought one of the really parts of our parents' lives was how they came of age in the height of the American car scene. Whether it was one them specifically or one of our family friends, we grew up listening to them recount cherished memories that included iconic American automobiles - Mustangs, Camaro's, Buicks, etc...in the form of road trips, fun roads, hot rod-ing, or racing their friends. A few of them, they still have these cars (my father, for example, still has his '71 Plymouth Road Runner and his '61 Ford Custom). We always thought it was so cool to see something so important to them be carried on through the family.

My wife and I decided we wanted to get our own special car and make tons of those cherished memories in it as well. After a year of searching and test driving, the GT350 was the easy choice. It took a year, but we finally picked it up in October '16.

We've had a few small adventures since then, but the first real one starts on Saturday as we drive it from Seattle, WA down Highway 101 to San Diego. For our delayed honeymoon, we are taking a 14 day Pacific Coast road trip. We are pretty excited. We'll be spending a few days each in San Francisco, Santa Barbara, LA/Santa Monica, and San Diego along with a few random days in between those areas. If any of you have any recommended driving roads, places to visit or want to meet up for beers/cruise, let me know. Would love to have local knowledge and meet some fellow members.

Let me know when you're passing through Eureka. Would love to see Ruby Red in person. :love:

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
When you are in San Diego or LA, see if there is a Mustang run. I have been on several, and they are always fun...
Nice! How do I find them? Here on 6G?

Let me know when you're passing through Eureka. Would love to see Ruby Red in person. :love:
Will do! Because of the weather, we ended up driving down i5 to make time. Planning on driving 101 back up. Will let you know the specifics as we get closer!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Today I met up with fellow 6G members 50 deep and straightliner1.

Was awesome to meet you guys and get the 350s together. 50 Deep even convinced Straightliner1 to bring his Grabber R out in the rain. :D The other guys will post better photos since they know what they were doing. The wife unit is in charge of the DSLR usually :)

szhElm9.jpg

3a07LrU.jpg

bEgmtxw.jpg

Off to San Francisco tomorrow!
szhElm9.jpg
3a07LrU.jpg
bEgmtxw.jpg

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
It was a pleasure meeting up with you brother. My son had a good time and fell asleep in the car on the way home. That Ruby Red looks damn good in person. Even I was surprised [MENTION=22191]straightliner1[/MENTION] brought the R out. I just love to stare at that thing.

Here are a few of the pics I took. They are just ok.
Shelby%20Meet%20%20Greet%201%20of%203_zpschowee6p.jpg

Shelby%20Meet%20%20Greet%201%20of%201_zpssv3ffona.jpg

Shelby%20Meet%20%20Greet%203%20of%203_zpst1bpcbkj.jpg

Shelby%20Meet%20%20Greet%202%20of%203_zpsz9i2gwrz.jpg

By the way the place you want to check out is the old military bunkers in Sausalito, right after the golden gate bridge. The area is super cool for a short hike, overlooks the ocean, windy roads up and down the hillside, beach access, views of the golden gate bridge, and you get to go inside the bunkers. Check out this link

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/marin-headlands-nike-missile-site-batteries-and-bunkers

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Gonna be tough to see those wheels go T. They look damn good!