GT350R vs EVERYTHING

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
What else is there within reason? I guess that's all relative to your income....I guess I could see an income level where a GT3 would make sense (this is the only upgrade path, IMO) BUT even being able to afford it doesn't mean it makes sense.

Yes, this is just another "the gt350R is great" thread... For under $100k, you get a car that isn't too expensive to put miles on...it's insurable for a reasonable amount....its capability exceeds street driving WHILE STILL being a load of fun to drive on the street... Every car I can think if that I'd like to own have performance and compromises that makes them a less than ideal choice over a 350.

One of my favorite (to look at) Porsche is a 997.2 GT3 - but I simply wouldn't trade the 350R for one...even if it was an even trade. Those are so over valued, IMO. 992 GT3.....I'd trade but I wouldn't be very interested in putting any money on top. This has nothing to do with me being Mustang fan - I have a 911 project in the garage that I'm looking forward to... This is to say that it's simply not worth it (to me) as an upgrade.
Sponsored

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I'd agree. I don't have an R, but in general there's not another car that I'd both want AND would feel good about putting it on the track regularly. Track insurance for a gt3 would be too costly IMO, and the risk level is too high for me to not get insurance on a 150k plus car.

I'm adding an Emira as a backup car for when the gt350 is broken, but even that price point doesn't excite me to risk on track. Not really an upgrade, but a different feel, different experience, similar lap times, and will be a fun car though if it's anything like the outgoing evora gt!

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Other than P-cars I think Corvettes are the others to look it with regards to street and track bang for the buck.

ecoboost321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R ; 2018 Tesla Model 3
In my opinion, any porsche versus GT350R is an apples to oranges comparison, in terms of seating position, driving style on track, induction noise, etc. If we are comparing front engine, rear drive alternatives with a back seat, the current BMW M3 is a good one. Same physical dimensions and surprisingly curb weight as well. And you can get manual or automatic, and carbon bucket seats 😎. In stock form, the Nurburgring times are close.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
In my opinion, any porsche versus GT350R is an apples to oranges comparison, in terms of seating position, driving style on track, induction noise, etc. If we are comparing front engine, rear drive alternatives with a back seat, the current BMW M3 is a good one. Same physical dimensions and surprisingly curb weight as well. And you can get manual or automatic, and carbon bucket seats 😎. In stock form, the Nurburgring times are close.

ALl this is 100% subjective for sure...and somewhat based around the theory that a normal, responsible working car guy is only going to have 1 "special" car (right!)... I guess I should have stated it more from a street car only perspective, too. I also know in my heart that I want to experience a few other dream cars...and 997.2 GT3 might be in the cards one day but I wouldn't replace the R with it - maybe just add it - for all the reasons I mentioned - it's just too good at the price point.

Even if I cashed out of my current R, sold the 964 project (probably 100k of parts sitting at this point lol) and bought a 992 GT3, arguably one of the most incredible cars out right now.. I don't have confidence that I would feel good about the deal once the dust settled.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
PS - the BMW is moving. That turn-in around 1:12 - eek!

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'd agree. I don't have an R, but in general there's not another car that I'd both want AND would feel good about putting it on the track regularly. Track insurance for a gt3 would be too costly IMO, and the risk level is too high for me to not get insurance on a 150k plus car.

I'm adding an Emira as a backup car for when the gt350 is broken, but even that price point doesn't excite me to risk on track. Not really an upgrade, but a different feel, different experience, similar lap times, and will be a fun car though if it's anything like the outgoing evora gt!
I just said 350R because that's what I own. IMO, the 350, with higher production numbers really gives you that extra freedom to really drive it anywhere with less heartache. Sometimes I wonder if the extra anxiety of the R actually hurts the fun factor a hair? :) I know, I know, many people DD them.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
I just said 350R because that's what I own. IMO, the 350, with higher production numbers really gives you that extra freedom to really drive it anywhere with less heartache. Sometimes I wonder if the extra anxiety of the R actually hurts the fun factor a hair? :) I know, I know, many people DD them.
it's one reason I didn't go for the R.. I wouldn't have used the wheels for fear of messing them up haha

Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
I didn't buy the R because I bought just as the crazy price increases were starting and I couldn't wait any longer.

However, I'm sure you're right that in some cases R owners don't allow themselves the full enjoyment because of how special the car is. I'm lucky in that way. I deny myself nothing with my lowly non-R GT350:sun:

How do you all think the Camaro ZL1 1LE fits into this conversation? They go like stink.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
ZL1 1LE are super fast... i just don't like them cosmetically much. same issue with the c8 vetts for me... both are capable and good values IMO

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Apples to oranges lol. Porsche/Ford/GM/etc., etc. are all in the same class come race day.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
ZL1 1LE are super fast... i just don't like them cosmetically much. same issue with the c8 vetts for me... both are capable and good values IMO

Agreed. They look good in a form-follows-function way. But I understand why people on't find them visually appealing. The C8 is a bit better than the Camaro, but neither really speaks to me.

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
Apples to oranges lol. Porsche/Fords/GM/etc., etc. are all in the same class come race day.
I agree. quality may vary in materials and such, but I'm more looking at lap time capability and general fun factor.
Sponsored