Sponsored

GT350 Engine Refresh Time!

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
At a minimum, I'd highly recommend the headwork once you're out of warranty or decide that it's time to tune it :)
Is replacing valves and doing seats necessary, or could you get away with just doing the rest of the stuff in-car without cracking the heads off the block using something like this valve spring compressor from Freedom Racing?
Sponsored

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Guys sure would appreciate a little schooling on blending gasoline. To tell you first off I know nothing about the tune in this engine. Have read about the E85 in this thread. Looking forward to experiencing the sport this summer. Planning on starting a new project next week building a fuel tank that will be installed in the trailer. Plans are to blend race 112 octane with 93 pump gas. Thanks,

AceOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2005, 2011, 2016 Mustang GTPP (Code_Blu), 2016 GT350R (Bloo-Doo)
Is replacing valves and doing seats necessary, or could you get away with just doing the rest of the stuff in-car without cracking the heads off the block using something like this valve spring compressor from Freedom Racing?
You can update the valve springs on the car without pulling the heads. That is one of the tools available to do it with. Here is the one I bought >https://www.euroexportinc.com/tools/spring-compressor/ I haven't used it yet so I can't give feed back. It is a tough job to do on the car but it is doable.

Cams come out so all front end accessory drives come off, timing cover and cam covers come out and you must roll the engine over to for each cylinder to TDC and applied Air pressure in the spark hole to keep the valves from dropping. My buddy has done many in his shop and can bust them out now but it has lots of hour for the job.

If Compression is still good and oil consumption is not extreme then this would be one way to solve the valve spring upgrade without head removal.
The rest of what we are doing is typical maintenance for lots of racing and we do upgrades to get more Hp and torque!

AceOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Mustang GT, 2005, 2011, 2016 Mustang GTPP (Code_Blu), 2016 GT350R (Bloo-Doo)
Guys sure would appreciate a little schooling on blending gasoline. To tell you first off I know nothing about the tune in this engine. Have read about the E85 in this thread. Looking forward to experiencing the sport this summer. Planning on starting a new project next week building a fuel tank that will be installed in the trailer. Plans are to blend race 112 octane with 93 pump gas. Thanks,
Best thing I can tell you is to check the Specific gravity of each of the fuels you wan to blend. If they are very similar then blending should work without needing to change the Stoch in the tune. Oxygenated fuels and ethanol fuels are pretty different as far as specific gravity goes. VP and Sunoco will have the specifics for each fuel listed somewhere. I have gotten pamphlets from each when attending big racing events.

E85 requires over 30% more fuel for the same energy output which is why gas mileage drops so much using E85 and why larger injectors are needed usually.

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Thanks AceOne. Will get ahold of our supplier this week. Have a lot to learn for this sport.

Sponsored

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
I have and used the one mentioned by Ace above. It is very easy to use and works well but that was with the head on a work table. The opening in the piece that contacts the retainer when screwing it down is small. I can see it getting frustrating using this one the car. The one you show has better access to the keepers.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
I like what I'm hearing Kevin and agree with the approach you've chosen and the rationale that led you there. Major kudos to you for taking this one head on. I really like the decision to sleeve. You are doing exactly what Ford engineers would have done if their budget would have allowed it.
I'm going to sleeve my block, but I have a whipple. So far there is very little evidence that the plasma arc on the voodoo is a weak link. It is not the same as what was done on the gen 3's. All dollars being equal I think the best play is for the OPG, CS, and valve train. I really appreciate this tear down but there have been several others, and a couple with boost. In every case I have seen the cylinder walls were pretty damn good. The HP levels this will push NA have very little chance to deform the cylinder walls. I have not seen any issues with cylinder cooling outside of shit tunes which burned holes in pistons (detonation and boundary gas problems more than pure heat). Even the GT4 cars have ate valve springs. Ask Volt they ran Mid Ohio on a wounded head.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This has been so relevant through my journey so far
meme22-7.jpg

Sponsored

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
LOL! I never take good advice lightly.ha Back when I visited the Boss 302 website we always referred to this as a terrible disease ! Thanks fellas!!!

Madigon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Subbed to this thread as, short of Ford doing another FPC mustang I think this is my forever car. This article and the info people are sharing is hyper important if only to help people like me realize I can't do it myself BUT ALSO what to expect to pay when this comes up and who to trust to do it.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
This has been so relevant through my journey so far
meme22-7.jpg
So true.... that why I was going to get out the game this year.
Unfortunately for that plan I had an opportunity to buy a complete Voodoo motor at an unbelievable price as a "spare" since I have a whipple on the original motor.
(I remember when I first caught this bug I had a hard time justifying a cold air intake.... now I am keeping "spare" motors)

I am considering sending it off for a "full build" like the OP's.... but my head is telling me to just keep it as what it is ….. a "spare"

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
For those who've been itching for more detail, here's some video footage of the various bits. Don't have a lot on the heads because they got shipped off, but will get plenty of action once I get them back.
Sponsored