GT350 Engine Refresh - Part 2

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I always enjoy your videos. Thank you.

By the way, I think I saw your buddy look at the oil pressure gauge once.
Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I always enjoy your videos. Thank you.

By the way, I think I saw your buddy look at the oil pressure gauge once.
haha. It's pretty overwhelming to ride in HB these days. It's really, really stimulating with the sound and grip, and it's so easy for your senses to get overwhelmed.

It's funny, the organization I instruct with does lots of ride-a-longs/hot laps for people stopping by. They have me give many of the rides and I always warn people that it will be fairly overwhelming and then teach them the hand signals to communicate because you can't really communicate over the comms system at full throttle. It usually gets even macho guys to wince or "hit the brakes" going into turn 1 the first time. And 4 wheel drifting through the esses gets people pretty good, too. It's a ton of fun

nc_oc=AQnk4_8m5s8oeGx30_pPIH_V74BvjaPMCPYqkQ6mgflEmFvMvzzGZa0R6wwqefqDlSc&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.jpg

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Final part of the assembly series. Things didn't quite go as planned. With the 'Rona and the issues, I've mostly been dormant on the race car stuff. Getting ready to pick it back up, tho.

Little different format in this one since the audio was wonky. Back to normal after this, though.

Editing the next video now, but things didn't quite go as planned at COTA (engine is fine), so it's coming back out.
17:13.... I started laughing. Been there.

Great video.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
17:13.... I started laughing. Been there.

Great video.
There was such a loud "YOU'VE GOT TO BE SHTTING ME!" off camera immediate following that. haha.

I legit just turned everything off and walked away for a while. hehe

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
There was such a loud "YOU'VE GOT TO BE SHTTING ME!" off camera immediate following that. haha.

Dude, I 1000% feel your pain!

I have a nest cam in my garage, and because of that I now have a “Are you
Fucking Serious!!!???!?” set of video clips saved to my Dropbox. It’s like a highlight reel for when My wife wants to laugh at my misfortunes.

Sponsored

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch

Also... you should have recreated the “you’ve got to be shitting me” for the video. It would have added an extra degree of authenticity.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Dude, I 1000% feel your pain!

I have a nest cam in my garage, and because of that I now have a “Are you
Fucking Serious!!!???!?”
set of video clips saved to my Dropbox. It’s like a highlight reel for when My wife wants to laugh at my misfortunes.
That's absolutely golden. I should do that!

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Final part to the series. You can see that things went really well, for a while :)

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I know you had mentioned it could be blowing oil because of the diamond /piston combo in the past

I have the same pistons in my sleeved motor and I am also having oil consumption issues .

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I know you had mentioned it could be blowing oil because of the diamond /piston combo in the past

I have the same pistons in my sleeved motor and I am also having oil consumption issues .
That's what Justin at JPC said, but am confused how that would result in oil pooling on TOP of the valves in the chambers? I've pulled the IM while the car is hot and I didn't see any amount of abnormal oil residue in the ports, so I don't think that it's "accumulating" in their and then dripping down. But not entirely sure. I still need to get the motor to Tim for a full investigation.

FWIW, I think he has changed rings, so it's possible it's contributing in some way. But I know of another engine that had the same exact short block build from Tim and they didn't have an oil burn issue. Hopefully we'll get it ironed out.

What rings are you running?

Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Thanks man .
I believe they are AP rings . Some details of my build below
68BB717F-BE53-44EE-A690-FBB1E66F1F54.png

coolnose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Hi All,

First post here on the forum, I did not find any introdution section, if there's one I'd happily introduce myself there.

I understand when sleeving the block it's good practive to correct the OEM bore-spacing closer to blueprint specs.

Now where do I get the exact specs I should be aiming for and/or to hand over to the machine shop?

Cheers,

Max

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hi All,

First post here on the forum, I did not find any introdution section, if there's one I'd happily introduce myself there.

I understand when sleeving the block it's good practive to correct the OEM bore-spacing closer to blueprint specs.

Now where do I get the exact specs I should be aiming for and/or to hand over to the machine shop?

Cheers,

Max
Paging @honeybadger ...

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
@honeybadger man that car sucks down in the esses. You appear to have a sweet balance there, even with a ride along.

Have you estimated the power you’re putting out with the changes?

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
Hi All,

Cheers,

Max
I don't know if that info is still top secret, but your machine shop should be able to locate the center of the first cylinder on each side of the block (#1 and 5) using the 4 head bolt holes around those cylinders. The coyote/voodoo has a 100mm bore spacing after that. If they set origin as the center of the dowel hole at the top of the above cylinders, it would be easily repeatable.
Sponsored