Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Happy thanksgiving ya'll!

So I've mentioned that the new motor smoked a bit when cold before. Over the last 2 months, it's been getting a bit worse. Enough to catch my eye and get me thinking.

While I'm working on a heater core bypass between events, I decided to do some digging. I've noticed that it'll also blow a puff of smoke if I let it idle for too long - this indicates valve seals. I originally thought ring gaps because once it got hot, it went away. Today I pulled the intake off and looked into the intake runners and saw that some oil has pooled up on the valves. Definitely bad valve seals IMHO. Fortunately/unfortunately, I'm coming up on the 40 hour maintenance interval for the valve train. Looks like I'll add these to my list for winter maintenance. I'm planning on a full engine removal and investigation this winter, so at least we'll get to dig in and see how the built motor is wearing otherwise.

IMG_6393.jpg
We are looking forward to a detailed teardown and rebuild- thank you for sharing all you do!
Sponsored

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Happy thanksgiving ya'll!

So I've mentioned that the new motor smoked a bit when cold before. Over the last 2 months, it's been getting a bit worse. Enough to catch my eye and get me thinking.

While I'm working on a heater core bypass between events, I decided to do some digging. I've noticed that it'll also blow a puff of smoke if I let it idle for too long - this indicates valve seals. I originally thought ring gaps because once it got hot, it went away. Today I pulled the intake off and looked into the intake runners and saw that some oil has pooled up on the valves. Definitely bad valve seals IMHO. Fortunately/unfortunately, I'm coming up on the 40 hour maintenance interval for the valve train. Looks like I'll add these to my list for winter maintenance. I'm planning on a full engine removal and investigation this winter, so at least we'll get to dig in and see how the built motor is wearing otherwise.

IMG_6393.jpg
I say you build a spare with the new predator block and Gen 2 heads !

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
We are looking forward to a detailed teardown and rebuild- thank you for sharing all you do!
Most welcome!

I say you build a spare with the new predator block and Gen 2 heads !
Damn, I wish. Not in the financial cards. Still need to cage the car and put on coilovers, etc. first :)

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
And so it begins!

Will be starting a new thread for this disassembly and refresh since this is a race motor and things will be a bit different.

20191218_232514.jpg

Will likely get it undressed and on an engine stand tomorrow and start opening it up Friday night.

As promised, there will be full transparency!

Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
How long does it take you to drop the motor and gearbox now?
It's funny. I was making a video of the removal and I claimed I could do it in about an hour and half if I'm focused. Turns out, it's still like 4 due to all the mods I've made - radiator ducting, splitter, exhaust, etc. Sigh. Haha

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Got the engine on a stand last night. Will be opening it up this evening and will start the thread once I have pics!
Sponsored