GT350 Engine Refresh - Part 2

coolnose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I don't know if that info is still top secret, but your machine shop should be able to locate the center of the first cylinder on each side of the block (#1 and 5) using the 4 head bolt holes around those cylinders. The coyote/voodoo has a 100mm bore spacing after that. If they set origin as the center of the dowel hole at the top of the above cylinders, it would be easily repeatable.
Thanks a lot for that information, that's what I needed. You must understand that I am on the old continent and working on cars like that is somewhat "exotic" , comparable to a US speed shop/machine shop working on a european "Supercar" with a V10 or something, so better give them the most information you can. Setting the reference "0" at cylinder 1&5 as you stated and the bore spacing is what I needed, going from there shouldn't be a problem for any machinist anywhere in the world. You info is much appreciated. Cheers, Max
Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
@honeybadger man that car sucks down in the esses. You appear to have a sweet balance there, even with a ride along.

Have you estimated the power you’re putting out with the changes?
yeah, it’s pretty damn well balanced for stock suspension still Needs coil overs something fierce, though. Gets overwhelmed with big weight transfers and is a bit of a pig under initial turn-in. Hoping to stiffed things up this winter.

And it puts out ~540 to the wheels on my E85 tune

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Thanks a lot for that information, that's what I needed. You must understand that I am on the old continent and working on cars like that is somewhat "exotic" , comparable to a US speed shop/machine shop working on a european "Supercar" with a V10 or something, so better give them the most information you can. Setting the reference "0" at cylinder 1&5 as you stated and the bore spacing is what I needed, going from there shouldn't be a problem for any machinist anywhere in the world. You info is much appreciated. Cheers, Max

I looked at my blueprints from Tim and didn’t see this particular info. I’d follow Bauern’s advice. FWIW, a lot of the builders here in the US that specialize in Mustangs work with international clients. I know when I was dropping off my block at Tim’s he had a few that were going out to the UAE and France at the time. Might be worth the effort if you’re not in a hurry and doing a full engine build.

Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What am I looking at?
The dip in the edge of the piston. Piston to valve contact on the top and above ring land has melted (pic above). Still waiting on more info and the results of the tear down of the heads.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Whoops? Sigh....wife is going to kill me

A90E6CC4-A6DB-41B9-9CD1-5021DB14F612.jpeg
Is this two separate issues or just one? Did the piston tops melt and then start hitting the valves, or did they hit the valves because of one problem and melt because of a different problem? Any ideas yet? It's just strange that this could happen and yet the engine still (apparently) ran ok.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Is this two separate issues or just one? Did the piston tops melt and then start hitting the valves, or did they hit the valves because of one problem and melt because of a different problem? Any ideas yet? It's just strange that this could happen and yet the engine still (apparently) ran ok.
Waiting on more info from Tim. I'm not sure. I don't recall seeing the sides messed up when I had the heads off in January, but I never removed the pistons, So possible I completely missed it.

As far as the pistons hitting the exhaust valves, I'm about 80% sure that wasn't there before Jan (see pic below). That means I likely messed up something when I replaced the valve seals--but not sure how since I went one-by-one and was super meticulous. But I was in a pretty rough state of mind after losing Nigel. Maybe I did a huge goof. Who knows. Either way looks like a full refresh. Damn

20191221_200911.jpg

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Waiting on more info from Tim. I'm not sure. I don't recall seeing the sides messed up when I had the heads off in January, but I never removed the pistons, So possible I completely missed it.

As far as the pistons hitting the exhaust valves, I'm about 80% sure that wasn't there before Jan (see pic below). That means I likely messed up something when I replaced the valve seals--but not sure how since I went one-by-one and was super meticulous. But I was in a pretty rough state of mind after losing Nigel. Maybe I did a huge goof. Who knows. Either way looks like a full refresh. Damn

20191221_200911.jpg
Are you going to use the same Diamond pistons in the “refresh “ ?

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Wow Kev.... sorry to hear. Looking forward to hearing more.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Are you going to use the same Diamond pistons in the “refresh “ ?
Not sure yet. Will see what Tim says. As far as I know, only 5.2 motor sports and I have put this much abuse on built a voodoo with this of HP. So lots of learning going on right now. We’ll see what he recommends.

Wow Kev.... sorry to hear. Looking forward to hearing more.
Thanks, Tom. A good learning opportunity at least. Hopefully we can use this info to refine the engine package.

Sad face is right

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thanks, Tom. A good learning opportunity at least. Hopefully we can use this info to refine the engine package.
Its just a matter of time before I am looking at a rebuild like yours. If I ever ran into a situation where I would ever be looking at warranty replacement, I would do everything I could to keep the original block and follow in your footsteps for a complete rebuild.

The knowledge and experience you have provided to this forum is invaluable.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
There is just zero excuse for this kind of manufacturing slop in the age of CNC. And it wasn't till "recently" someone dusted off their mechanical engineering 101 text book and relearned the topic of spring-back and started to use a torque plate properly so the bores would actually be round.
The 100mm bore spacing is also why you’ll never see a big displacement mod engine. Ford put themselves in that corners decades ago

this is also why saleen and JPC gave up on stroker builds. Saleen couldn’t get the prototype 351 engines to pass durability tests
Sponsored

Last edited: