Sponsored

GT350 Engine Refresh - Part 2

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Tim at MPR Racing Engines sleeved the block. Total cost for the short block build was ~8,500 (included custom pistons, billet connecting rods, etc.). About half went to machining and the sleeves IIRC.
I got quoted about 5,000 for a basic stock sleeved shortblock, so figure another 1,000 for your upgraded stuff and the sleeves alone should be about 2,500 which is about normal pricing.
Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I got quoted about 5,000 for a basic stock sleeved shortblock, so figure another 1,000 for your upgraded stuff and the sleeves alone should be about 2,500 which is about normal pricing.
$1,000 is a bit low to cover the upgraded parts. My original thread has an image of invoice with all the work performed for context.

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Cool videos man. I always like watching teardowns, wishing I had the time/skill/money to do the same. We were out at MSR Cresson together last Octoberish I think. Orange GT #818, we talked about the difference in handling with/without the TC on. You also recommended ST43 pads as I was shopping around for something new for this next season. They unfortunately don't make them for the GT, just the GT350 as for as I could tell. Ill see you back out at MSR Cresson if you are gonna be out there again. Im there a couple times a month.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Cool videos man. I always like watching teardowns, wishing I had the time/skill/money to do the same. We were out at MSR Cresson together last Octoberish I think. Orange GT #818, we talked about the difference in handling with/without the TC on. You also recommended ST43 pads as I was shopping around for something new for this next season. They unfortunately don't make them for the GT, just the GT350 as for as I could tell. Ill see you back out at MSR Cresson if you are gonna be out there again. Im there a couple times a month.
Ahhh, yes. You got to see me in my prime rage with that track. It seems to break something every time I go there. Haha I should be out there again sometime this year, but not till April or later, I think. The Feb date is my wife's birthday and I'll be at Hallet/COTA this weekend before the March dates.

Sponsored

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Quick video I grabbed on my phone between the oil pans. Going with the GT500 pan

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Apologies for the delay, ya'll. Been a rough start to the year. Car is back together with some.....interesting insights. More on that later.

For now, here's a video of the first part of the long block re-assembly. For those of you who wanted detail, this one is for you. About 3.5 hours of footage edited down to 30 mins :)

ExtantPuzzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
upload_2020-3-10_9-10-9.png

Favorite part of the video. I'm gonna go give my dog a hug now.

But awesome video, Kevin. Thank you for posting all of this stuff -- I certainly don't plan on rebuilding my engine, but it's fascinating to watch and to see the level of detail you go into and to learn more in the process.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
upload_2020-3-10_9-10-9.png

Favorite part of the video. I'm gonna go give my dog a hug now.

But awesome video, Kevin. Thank you for posting all of this stuff -- I certainly don't plan on rebuilding my engine, but it's fascinating to watch and to see the level of detail you go into and to learn more in the process.
Ha. That's Bear. She's a half sister of Nigel. She's been keeping me company in the garage since his passing. As you can see, she's very....enthusiastic about it :)

If you ever do need to rebuild your engine, now you have enough resources haha

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Apologies for the delay, ya'll. Been a rough start to the year. Car is back together with some.....interesting insights. More on that later.

For now, here's a video of the first part of the long block re-assembly. For those of you who wanted detail, this one is for you. About 3.5 hours of footage edited down to 30 mins :)

I have zero intention of ever rebuilding a voodoo. . . and yet I still watched the entire video. Thanks for the info in case I ever need it someday! Very well done.

Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hi Kevin - very well produced! Well done!

I do have a question - is there no need to soak the timing chains in oil as you did with the rockers and lash adjusters? When you prime the engine, it pushes oil through all the oilways, but those chains might not get much until after the first start-up. What's the story?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I have zero intention of ever rebuilding a voodoo. . . and yet I still watched the entire video. Thanks for the info in case I ever need it someday! Very well done.
Thanks! Always hard to gauge how much info to put in. Decided on a mix of "too much for someone looking for a quick how-to," but also "enough to (hopefully) quench the thirst for those looking for a bit more context/detail." Always a hard balance.

Thanks for watching!

I do have a question - is there no need to soak the timing chains in oil as you did with the rockers and lash adjusters? When you prime the engine, it pushes oil through all the oilways, but those chains might not get much until after the first start-up. What's the story?
Not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of doing that and there's no mention of it in the service manual. Probably a good idea. I'll add it to the list.

Although, in my case, the engine sat "ready to install" for over 1.5 months while life did some ass kicking and I waited for parts and more parts, so it likely would have all dripped off

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

Also another tidbit I thought you'd like. I installed the gt500 pan, oil pump and pick up tube. I also upgraded all the external oil lines to true 12an lines or bigger. IDLE oil pressure is 100 psi now with cold starts and rpm above 125. Pretty crazy.

Shouldn't have any VCT issues (not that we had detectable ones before).

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
is there no need to soak the timing chains in oil
With high velocity chain, generally no. But you can dribble a bead across the rollers if you're concerned about initial startup.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Final part of the assembly series. Things didn't quite go as planned. With the 'Rona and the issues, I've mostly been dormant on the race car stuff. Getting ready to pick it back up, tho.

Little different format in this one since the audio was wonky. Back to normal after this, though.

Editing the next video now, but things didn't quite go as planned at COTA (engine is fine), so it's coming back out.
Sponsored