GT PP vs 370Z Nismo

Discussion in 'Ford Mustang versus?' started by Ewheels, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Ewheels

Ewheels Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT PP1, 2009 CBR600RR
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    A friend of mine has a 2012 370Z Nismo and has had it since new. I've been around it plenty and have driven it before. Great car but I guess I never really paid all that much attention to it. Back then, my car knowledge and experience consisted of youtube videos and parking lot car shows. Now that I have the time and budget to take my car to the track and grow my driving abilities, I am more keen to desirable driving dynamics and feedback.

So back to the Nismo, my friend and I took his car through some twisty roads on our way to get some food. VERY IMPRESSED! Auto rev-matching downshifts, 7500 rpm redline, great exhaust sound (though that is subjective), 3300 lbs, and STIFF suspension. Stiff in the good way; I could see how it wouldn't be the most comfortable commuter but for pure driving fun, that suspension is perfectly sprung. It stays perfectly flat in corners.

I guess my question/concern is: why are these cars not more popular??? Comparing this to my performance pack GT, the Nismo is far more focused on performance and driver feedback.

2. import111

import111 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT PP
    0   0   0
    They have a lot of issues. I had a 2009 370Z, and mine along with a lot of other people's had multiple reliability issues. Oil overheating, 5th gear grind, throttle lag when engine warmed up, abs ice mode issues, fuel cut on high G turns even with almost full tank, just to name a few. Also not as fast as it "should" be on track. A lot slower (4 seconds) than my 05 STi and with my 2016 GT PP1 I matched my old 370Z times in just a handful of laps, would have easily gone faster but we switched direction of track at lunch.

When it worked right, it was a fun car to drive, but too many issues that stayed with future models until at least 2012.

Ewheels likes this.
  3. bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt Oh boy

First Name:
    BigD
    Vehicle(s):
    Boosted 2015 GT Premium.
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    That and they haven't changed anything since 1987.

bnightstar and Nagare like this.
  4. abmobil

abmobil Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    They are great cars and underrated for sure.
    Dated but IMO still a great car to consider. To me the base model is worth 30k, but anything more is too much when you have what Mustang and Camaro offer.

I was practically 100% committed to getting myself a brand new 2017 Base model Z when at the last minute I started looking at Mustangs and ending up with a 17 GT.

5. Hack

Hack Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Fiesta
    0   0   0
    They are more expensive than a Mustang and slower is the way I remember it. Plus, no V8. So they really never interested me much.

They do have decent styling.

6. OP
    OP
    Ewheels

Ewheels Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT PP1, 2009 CBR600RR
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    I didn't know about the reliability issues. That would be a pretty large red flag for me.
    And I didn't realize how expensive these are. A new Nismo is almost $48k?! Take $10k off of that an you have yourself a deal!

7. Laststandard

Laststandard Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Nismo pricing is ridiculous. 370Z sport has a 6 speed and a limited slip, MSRP at 35k. Could probably get one much closer to 30. My daily is an Xterra and the VQ40 is just a punched out version of the engine in the 370, and that has been flawless. 190,000 miles and doesn't burn / leak a drop of oil.

I'd take a 370Z over a BRZ / GT86

8. abmobil

abmobil Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    DD 13 Nissan Titan Wknd ride 17 Mustang GT
    0   0   0

They don’t have major reliability issues. 09 was the first year so maybe some 1st year bugs but they definitely have less issues than the S550. The biggest issue with the 370 seems to be the clutch slave cylinder.

9. shogun32

shogun32 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT+PP, EB+PP, SS+1LE, GTI Rabbit
    0   0   0
    My friend has been thru 2 engines on his Z. The seats are also very narrow and hard to get in/out - much worse than my Camaro. I found the Z clutch to be aggravating.

Buy a non-PP GT and spend the 4 grand in Steeda/BMR/brake/suspension upgrades and the results will spank the PP car.