370z /Mustang
Curb: 3280 / ~3700 ~+100?
Power: 350 / ~420 ~+10-30?
TQ: 280 / ~390 ~+10-20?
0-60 : 4.8 / ~???? ~4.5 sec +/- ~.5
1/4: low 13 / high 12

With the current rebates one can pick up a sport package 370z for under 32k
or a base 370z for under 29k

I know that the 370 is at the end of the life cycle, but given the fact that both will be on respective dealer lots, will you cross shop the two? why or why not?

/Discuss

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I wouldn't cross shop it, but I would love one to have in the garage. This is Nissan's iconic performance car. I really like the styling of the 370Z (and I liked the 350Z) as well.

A 2-seater vs 4-seater is different in the driving feel in general. From a purely performance point-of-view, I believe the torque makes a big difference in the acceleration feel. That would be an advantage of the 5.0L, assuming we get a solid 400+ lb-ft at the peak and have it arrive in the midrange of the RPM band. That's the seat of the pants feel that I believe many enthusiasts evaluate daily.

From a handling perspective, I will be curious to see what the size difference will bring to the party. Having driven a 350Z awhile back, I presume the Mustang will still feel larger, especially because of the long hood and the extra seats. The 350Z turn-in response seemed responsive from what I recall.

In short, I would not compare them from a buying perspective, but I would love to have what I think is a nice Z.

Many moons ago, I had a 1990 300ZX non-turbo 2-seater. What a fun car and loved the style of that.

minicobra

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thebandpetroleum.com
First Name
Braden
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT/PP
Here was my 370z, was a nice car, but had quite a few things I didn't like.
One, my buddies 2011 5.0 could beat it around the track and on the 1/4, one of the reasons I started looking for a Boss 302. So I have no doubt that the 2015 will absolutely be superior to the 370Z. There were quite a few people that jumped ship to the 5.0 from the 370z.com community.

Awesome looking car, fun to drive, except for see below.

1. Poor outward visibility (X your fingers and change lanes)
2. chatter from drivetrain, clutch. (especially at parking lot speeds)
3. had to get the revs up to feel the power come on
4. over-heated within 15-20 minutes of aggressive canyon or track driving.
Mandatory aftermarket oil cooler - solved the problem.
5. would scrape exhaust and splitter on speedbumps, driveways, etc. even with a mild 1" drop.
6. No back seat or storage (personal choice of course)
7. 1-2 shift grind (but have that with the GT500 too :-(

For me I would not even consider this car again until the next generation is revealed, but this generation will be no match for the 2015 5.0, unless you do some heavy modding.

The good thing about it, was I got lots of compliments on the looks, and was a pretty good cornering/handling car, but that was after suspension mods, etc.
370-frt.jpg

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Big fan of the Nissan Zed Cars here..........my user name comes from my old 300zx :)

In fact, the 350z was on my list of cars to replace the 300zx, but it co-incided with my daughter being born 10 years ago, so a 2 seater was a no-no.

So, no, I wouldn't cross shop, but I do like them. A lot :D

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've looked into 370s.
If you like to race on the track at all, it's not a good choice.
The car has a few fatal flaws. The biggest two:

1. The brakes give out. If you search the 370Z forums, several people have had complete brake failure(pedal to the floor). The problem is the aerodynamics on the car don't cool the brakes, the brakes boil the fluid, and you crash and/or die.

2. The engine overheats easily. Even just a few laps is enough to cause the engine to go into limp mode.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I have a 350Z that I love (as you can see in my avatar photo), that now has 180,000 miles and is due for a replacement. However, I'm not considering the 370 for several reasons.

1. Not a fan of the overall look. I like sleek cars, and appreciate the lines of the 350Z and new Mustang. The 370 ends up looking a bit scrunched to me, like it got compressed in a vice.
2. I love Nissan's V6 engines, but am ready to try a V8
3. I now have two small children and would love to have a car that can carry them to school. I think the Mustang will be able to accomplish that for the next 10 years or so.

-T

Rob WH

Gettin' old
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
1987 LX coupe(and others), 14 Escape
Cross-shop, no. Consider either, probably. The 370Z is cool, but for me, that's about all because it isn't really race material and cars like the Mustang simply smack it around.

The only thing that surprises me about them is the price structure has about turned around. "Back in the day," the 300ZX and even before it were pricey while the Mustang was cheap... for the last handful of yrs, they've been nearly identical in price, but the Mustang has been the obvious better performer of late. With the 15, the Mustang will be flatly more expensive, but still a notably better car for anyone truly looking for performance capability.

Ultimately, the DOHC V8 is simply superior to the V6 DOHC, as anyone would expect. Ford has gotten so good at engines, they've actually sold or leased technology to Nissan, used in the GT-R engine and that shows they're not just serious, but good. It will be less expensive to own and maintain the Ford over the Nissan for many reasons, including the availability of parts, so for me, it's a totally easy call. When I was still a very young man, I wanted a brand new 1990 300 and I really wanted either that or a Supra by 1993... alas, pricing was prohibitive and I missed out. I have nothing to miss anymore... Mustang is just the better option for me.

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
Could you have possibly chosen a worse comparison pic than a filthy test mule with what looks like plasti dipped wheels?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Another point is the current 370Z is just about out the door(new version should be out in 1-2 years).
And owning a last gen car when a new gen model comes out = big depreciation.

To the benefit of the Z, they've already depreciated a lot, so you can pick up a nice low mile example for low to mid 20's. About $10,000 less than a new V8 Mustang.

Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Not to derail the thread here but has anyone else noticed that the majority of Nissan cars built in the early 2000's are already rusting or have no clear coat left? Mostly silver cars I've noticed...

Maybe it's just Florida, and ppl not waxing their car, but I'd say 3-4 out of every 10 has a horrible paint job.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Not to derail the thread here but has anyone else noticed that the majority of Nissan cars built in the early 2000's are already rusting or have no clear coat left? Mostly silver cars I've noticed...

Maybe it's just Florida, and ppl not waxing their car, but I'd say 3-4 out of every 10 has a horrible paint job.
It's a common complaint on the 370 forums.
Owners complain that the paint is extremely bad.
Most cars can handle bird droppings being left on them for a few weeks.
From what I've read, on the Z, it will eat through the paint quickly.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Ok then it's not just me that noticed it, sucks for Nissan owners though...

bpang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WRX, '11 Forester and '15 Forester
Both are pretty cool...the VQ-series motor (to me at least) is pretty harsh sounding.

The Nissan also doesn't have a back seat and is hard to get into (for me, I am fat).

Honesty

town crier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
135i
I'm a current 370Z owner, and I'm looking forward to the S550.

The Z is an excellent sports car. But I'm looking into getting back into a sports coupe.

As a performance vehicle, the Z has a relatively low weight, a tiny wheel base, a very sophisticated double wishbone front suspension and rear multi-link, solid chassis, and just the right amount of power. Steering is great, handling is great, acceleration is great. Interior is nice too.

BUT its suspension is extremely harsh, the clutch is terrible, and the transmission downright sucks. Also the drive-by-wire throttle is pretty much trash. Nissan cut a lot of corners in these areas to keep the price under $30,000 on dealer lots. And it shows.

Looking forward to giving the Mustang a test drive. I'd like to go to V8 power and get some comfort. The 3800 lb curb weight is a HUGE turn off though.
Sponsored