Sponsored

2015 Ford Mustang GT vs. 2015 Nissan 370Z NISMO

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I owned a header back 06 z and I got many compliments. I think the vq engine noise sounds beautiful and somewhat exotic depending on the build.
Sponsored

Dave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT
I owned a header back 06 z and I got many compliments. I think the vq engine noise sounds beautiful and somewhat exotic depending on the build.
I have to admit, a good part of the reason I bought a GT instead of a V6 or Ecoboost is because I love the sound of a V8, but in the case of the VQ V6, I think so, too. The vibration is noticeable but it's really no big deal - just ignore it and keep flooring it up to redline, it will be fine.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I owned the Z's cousin, an Infiniti G35 coupe. Really fun car, handled great, quick with the AT, but a low-14-second car. The Nismo is a little faster, but really? The GT runs high 12s. Not the same league. Mustang is much more comfortable, handles as well, looks better and on and on. I didn't cross-shop the Nissan when I bought my Mustang. No regrets at all.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
I owned the Z's cousin, an Infiniti G35 coupe. Really fun car, handled great, quick with the AT, but a low-14-second car. The Nismo is a little faster, but really? The GT runs high 12s. Not the same league. Mustang is much more comfortable, handles as well, looks better and on and on. I didn't cross-shop the Nissan when I bought my Mustang. No regrets at all.
Dont kid yourself by comparing the performance of a G35 to a nismo 370z. A 370z is a low 13 second car stock, and a few have hit 12.9's showroom stock. A Mustang GT is quicker but not much. A 370z would eat your G35 for lunch in a drag race or road race.

Looks are subjective, I think my 370z is a better looking car than my Mustang.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Dont kid yourself by comparing the performance of a G35 to a nismo 370z. A 370z is a low 13 second car stock, and a few have hit 12.9's showroom stock. A Mustang GT is quicker but not much. A 370z would eat your G35 for lunch in a drag race or road race.

Looks are subjective, I think my 370z is a better looking car than my Mustang.
I stand corrected. Didn't realize the Nismo had put on so many muscles. Still, for me the Z interior is small (so was the Infiniti), the ride is really tough and I still have no regrets. Interesting that you have both as they seem to appeal to very different owners. Looks are indeed subjective. While I find the 370 a much better looking car than the unfortunate 350Z, I prefer the Mustang.

Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Phunk, your 370z is putting down that much power with a stock motor + turbo kit?

I find it hard to believe a 370z can put down the same power as a mustang mod for mod or as you said for the same amount of money. I would be seeing tons of fast 370z's but honestly have never ran into one. When I see videos posted it always shows the 370 losing. I maybe remember the car winning once or twice, but most of the time they are getting burned.

I have always been a fan of the 370, and wanted to get a low mile 09 back in 2012. the power just isn't there and while some can run 12.9, some mustangs can run 12.4. Tire and tune into 11s (Auto, tune + slicks).

I also frequent laguna Seca and sonoma, 370z never caught my eye there, it's mostly bmw, porsche, wrxs, evos, 5.0s, miata, s2000.

Btw, that's a bad ass pic of the 370z. Fat ass tires, I bet you get a lot of unsuspecting people. Not a knock on the Z at all, just learning some new things from what you posted phunk.

phunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT-PP
Phunk, your 370z is putting down that much power with a stock motor + turbo kit?

I find it hard to believe a 370z can put down the same power as a mustang mod for mod or as you said for the same amount of money. I would be seeing tons of fast 370z's but honestly have never ran into one. When I see videos posted it always shows the 370 losing. I maybe remember the car winning once or twice, but most of the time they are getting burned.

I have always been a fan of the 370, and wanted to get a low mile 09 back in 2012. the power just isn't there and while some can run 12.9, some mustangs can run 12.4. Tire and tune into 11s (Auto, tune + slicks).

I also frequent laguna Seca and sonoma, 370z never caught my eye there, it's mostly bmw, porsche, wrxs, evos, 5.0s, miata, s2000.

Btw, that's a bad ass pic of the 370z. Fat ass tires, I bet you get a lot of unsuspecting people. Not a knock on the Z at all, just learning some new things from what you posted phunk.
Most people do not think the VQ can take that kind of power, and its been a gradual thing. First I was 520, then 570, then 670. Inbetween each of those spots were other guys I know easing in also. Recently another car took me by a few HP to beat my stock record.

So far, very few guys have lost engines from too much power. In fact, I dont even know of anyone confirmed, its so rare anyway. I can count on one hand how many blown engines we have had on that forum. While I have a big built engine to swap in eventually, I will be running my new turbo setup up to 700 maybe more on my old stock engine.

Ya big power 370zs are rare. First of all the people who buy them arent usually big power kind of people. Then, most the guys that do boost them stick between 450-525rwhp or so just to keep it conservative.

The power they can make is no joke, and they are one of the tuning industries best kept secret. My buddies 350z and my 370z destroy everything we run into in real life. Ya, they arent fast compared to the internet, but in real life, once every year or two we find something that can pull away.

Hopefully next season I am able to sort out the traction issues and get some good passes. Last year on my 61,000 mile stock engine boosted for 4+ years, I was trapping 133 and that was banging the rev limiter in 4th gear. My mustang still doesnt pull as hard.. and I know because I have raced a friends 350z several times over, and my Mustang and that 350z are head to head... my 370z is faster than that 350z.

Dyno graphs attached. 11.5psi and 12psi. Power mods were just Greddy turbo kit, CJM fuel system w/ ID1000 & E85, custom reflash on stock ECU, dual 2.75" exhaust. Dont forget these Z's are a lot lighter weight than my 2015.
dyno651at115.JPG
dyno671at12.jpg

Last edited:

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
Even though its not a competition between the two cars, that right there is why a lot of people hate mustang owners, just saying.
lol, you are attacking the guy that actually behaved like an adult lol.

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
Did you really say that exact phase? We need to get your some better one liners.
Idk man I haven't heard that one yet, and on top of that's it's clever, and factual to some degree. Also you can't say his isn't good without at least listing 4-5 better ones. N if you've got a few lay em on us, share with your community brotha lol :ford:

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Idk man I haven't heard that one yet, and on top of that's it's clever, and factual to some degree. Also you can't say his isn't good without at least listing 4-5 better ones. N if you've got a few lay em on us, share with your community brotha lol :ford:
Wholly thread revival! Anyways...

picture.jpg