Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Make sure you give the Auto a fair chance by driving WOT while in Sport+ or Track mode. You'll need a clear road that lets you get up to 90-100mph. And in my case, I had only had two test drives without the salesman aboard. My primary salesman was in the back seat a few times, no seat belt and having me and my buddy go 90mph on a back road. :paddle:

I've had the back end of my car drift out on a "skid pad" style on ramp, followed by one cycle of fishtail oversteer, so I was happy to not hit a guardrail. Since then I've been a little more careful, bc I am on the stock 8" wide Pirelli A/S tires. Maybe ESC was a helpful co-pilot but I did not feel it.

I drove a twisty back road Monday afternoon on a 50F day. Used Sport+, and fully automatic, never touching the paddles (they are slower actually). Still relying on traction control and ESC just in case, and didn't go crazy trying to drive "9/10".

IMO, the limitation is more about the stock wheels/tires than the transmission.

[Edit: By the way I am at 2000 miles, and 95% of my daily driving proves that Auto is the best choice for me. But even on Monday I was very satisfied with my choice. Also, besides the auto being considered more "bulletproof", you could not screw up a shift or over-rev if you tried. Ask me how to prove this on a test drive.]
Sponsored

OP
OP
AoAIronman

AoAIronman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Ruby Red Manual
Make sure you give the Auto a fair chance by driving WOT while in Sport+ or Track mode. You'll need a clear road that lets you get up to 90-100mph. And in my case, I had only had two test drives without the salesman aboard. My primary salesman was in the back seat a few times, no seat belt and having me and my buddy go 90mph on a back road. :paddle:

I've had the back end of my car drift out on a "skid pad" style on ramp, followed by one cycle of fishtail oversteer, so I was happy to not hit a guardrail. Since then I've been a little more careful, bc I am on the stock 8" wide Pirelli A/S tires. Maybe ESC was a helpful co-pilot but I did not feel it.

I drove a twisty back road Monday afternoon on a 50F day. Used Sport+, and fully automatic, never touching the paddles (they are slower actually). Still relying on traction control and ESC just in case, and didn't go crazy trying to drive "9/10".

IMO, the limitation is more about the stock wheels/tires than the transmission.

If you bought the car where you had the salesman in the back you may wanna check and see if he peed in your car. Lol. You guys have been alot of help throughout this discussion and i truly appreciate it. In the end no matter what i decide i will still be joining the greatest car club in existence :)

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
If you bought the car where you had the salesman in the back you may wanna check and see if he peed in your car. Lol. You guys have been alot of help throughout this discussion and i truly appreciate it. In the end no matter what i decide i will still be joining the greatest car club in existence :)
Nah. He's good. He is also shorter in stature, and so he did not mind sitting crosswise in the back seat. He said the dealership requires him to accompany every test drive as "the insurance policy" (literally).

So I worry more about his fiance, and wonder whether or not he describes any test drives to her. Even though my dealership is the biggest sellar of Mustangs in the region, I'm sure he sells many more of the other :ford:s.

One other note: if you are the type of person that follows his heart, the manual is the more visceral choice. If you follow your brain, then auto is a sensible choice. (This is not to incite anyone on the forum, both personality types are valid IMO!) I am a little of both types, so the choice was also very difficult for me. It was the final test drive (like I described above) that sealed the deal for me - I actually had to change my order.

gunbunnysoulja

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeannieskidneyfund.com
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
16 Magnetic S550
While I didn't try the GT in an Auto, I did try the v6 auto and really really hated it. It just wasn't fun for me, at all, even in WOT. A manual ecoboost was a blast though (still went with a v6 manual though).

The Menace

No it's not that Fast...
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Ive driven both a good bit now and somehow i am still unsure which one i want. If i never had to deal with traffic manual would be my choice without question but i get stuck in traffic way to often. Im gonnna give the manual one more try this weekend to see if it can change my mind but the sad thing is that i cant take out the stupid clutch assist spring while its on the dealer lot so i wont know if i really like the clutch until i have already spent the money. lol
The clutch spring being removed does nothing with the weight of the clutch IMO it is still a heavy beeitch.... I have had mine out since the second week of owning the car. for me all I noticed is the clutch engagement is easier to feel and feels a half inch shorter throw to me.

I have only sat in traffic 2 or 3 times in the 5.0 and I am not gonna lie my effing leg felt it. This is NOT the case with my WRX which has one of the softest weakest clutch I have felt in years.

at the end of the day. get what you want. the car is still going to be fun to drive and be fast as hell either trans you go with.

Good luck.

Sponsored

Grandmarshal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dario
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
i kill you for reviving this thread! :frusty::headbonk:

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I really want to get a manual in a 2016 Gt
So order the manual. You know what you want. What do you care what anyone else thinks?

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
City traffic is tiresome regardless of the axle gear or transmission type, MT, DSG, AT, CVT, 1-speed electric . . . doesn't matter. Been there.

Norm

Reactions: kz

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
It's gets really tiresome when you have a Performance Pack with .373 gearing in city traffic. Trust me.
It's perfectly fine for me. I'm changing gears at about exactly the same speed and conditions as my '99 Honda Civic Si. I don't mind at all. I like the engagement of a stick.

Now, I wouldn't want to drive my stick in hours and hours of stop and go. But that would be the only time I don't prefer a stick over an auto.

eca77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Qashqai (Bone stock with child seats)
If you get the Automatic, get the transmission tune from Tune+ (Adam).