Sponsored

2018 Mustang Manual vs. Auto--MotorTrend

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I'm guessing he means a real sequential using a dog system. Because do any cars in IMSA use dual clutch boxes? I though they were all dog sequential. But then flopped himself in his terminology when he went to the street part of the convo...Yeah, dual clutch boxes.
I mean any performance oriented dual clutch or modern automatic that successfully mimics performance dual clutch. Was hoping sequential would be understood as a catch all. :D

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I was behind a new 10A 18 GT in traffic yesterday, first GT I've seen around here besides mine. His/her exhaust sounded like serious lame sauce in comparison to mine. Couldn't even hear their car while they were cruising at speed. Sound is a major part of these cars and with all of those gears it probably shifts before there's any actual noise to enjoy unless you're in sport mode or flogging it.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
Even my Hog is a manual... sequential, sure, but you can crash those dogs at just about any RPM without a clutch... Although I wouldn't recommend it.

Also... engine braking is a huge thing on a cruiser. They actually teach casual beginner riders proper engine braking in the MSF course.
As a motorcycle race instructor and director, I have problems with how MSF teaches braking. Most accomplished MSF instructors I know agree but they are not allowed to deviate from the course materials.

Having said that, the dynamics of a cruiser or large touring bike may be enough different from standard and sport bikes to merit their approach. I don't have the experience to say either way.

Sponsored

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I was behind a new 10A 18 GT in traffic yesterday, first GT I've seen around here besides mine. His/her exhaust sounded like serious lame sauce in comparison to mine. Couldn't even hear their car while they were cruising at speed. Sound is a major part of these cars and with all of those gears it probably shifts before there's any actual noise to enjoy unless you're in sport mode or flogging it.
Could be active exhaust and in quiet mode? i leave mine in "race" mode unless on a trip then i cruise in quiet. my fiance drives in quiet mode all the time.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
well... it is.

It's not. It's also illegal, as I pointed out earlier. Runaway ramps are not only for trucks.

I noticed, same as Norm, that you seem to not understand how proper engine braking works. So here goes:

In the downshift, you don't use your clutch to bring the engine up to speed or reduce the vehicle speed. The engine is spun up to the proper RPM, also known as rev-matching, before the clutch is reengaged. The butterfly valve in the throttle body is then closed (and in modern engines, fuel also cut off) so the engine pumps highly restricted air.

I'll even continue to posit that turning the engine over anywhere up to red-line without combustion causes less wear than idling with combustion. Those explosions are pretty violent and brutal.

:lol:

Only to you....

Because you are unable to provide a valid point. You have not even express once, why... one would decelerate their car from 80mph to zero (in a short distance/off ramp), without using their brakes. (ie: only engine)

And instead, choosing to downshift three times, grabbing high RPMs to engine brake their car's velocity without touching their brakes.

I stated such a driving style is for added show, otherwise they would apply their brakes, while they were also engine braking. I also stated that nobody drives like that on the streets unless they are a tryhard.

Though...

When tracking a car, there is a reason to use engine braking in such a manner, (because on the track you do not come to a standstill, red light or stop sign), & "racers" downshift before a turn/apex to decelerate and need the high rpms coming out of a corner for acceleration. You also do not want to apply your brakes unsettling the car while entering a corner.

This difference^ in situation/scenario was already explained in this thread to Norm, when he tried to correct me on how/what/why & when... after I had already defined: on the streets/off ramp/full stop.

Sorry, but Your posts rebuttals nothing I have said, & is a simply a techno-argument nobody here is refuting. You are trying to make a technical argument of how a modern engine brakes, when there is no throttle applied. Which (again), is an argument nobody here has given.

Rhetorical, yet you keep trying to educate nobody. I have been engine braking for 30 years with a manual. The question was, why would one downshift and engine brake 3 gears, to come to near zero mph, without using the brakes..?

You have failed to answer that^.

Rev-matching before computers was and is an artform and I am good at it. Specially once you've owned the car long enough to become intimate with how she runs. But once again, nobody needs a tech overview of what rev-matching is, before they need to listen to your rebuttal... which you never give.

You state facts, but don't apply them to your argument/situation/scenario offered.

The fallacy and false pretense you are applying to the conversation, is that while someone is engine braking their car, they are also applying the brakes... to aid in their engine braking.

Notice how every post I stipulate; without using their brakes..?

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
why... one would decelerate their car from 80mph to zero (in a short distance/off ramp), without using their brakes. (ie: only engine)
First, where did this "to zero" stuff come from?
Second, these are two different scenarios. Coming down from 80 on an off ramp, why would anyone in a MT equipped vehicle use brakes in a non-emergency situation? "In a short distance" is emergency braking; not the same. You're trying to compare apples to Latin.

You state facts, but don't apply them to your argument/situation/scenario offered.
I'll brake it down for you as simply as has been stated before...
Engine braking causes no additional wear to the drivetrain while saving pad & rotor wear.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Read the thread... the situation I was speaking of (80mph on highway, entering an off-ramp to zero mph), is clearly defined many times by me, because other(s) have attempted to move the goal post.

edit:

I agree! (that; engine braking alone causes no additional wear to the drivetrain while saving pad & rotor wear.)

But once again, Nobody is talking about engine braking by itself, it was a discussion about downshifting several times and the use of engine braking each time... each shift. Which you fail to incorporate into your rebuttals & the other half of the equation. Rev-matching, engine bounce, clutch slippage, driveline loading/unloading, etc. Are all things that POTENTIALLY apply every time you downshift.

Notice how you won't admit that there is extra use on the clutch and transmission...

In that situation^, None of those additional stresses applies if you just pop it in neutral & coast off the ramp, while applying the brakes to a standstill at the light.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Could be active exhaust and in quiet mode? i leave mine in "race" mode unless on a trip then i cruise in quiet. my fiance drives in quiet mode all the time.
I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't think it too likely. It still had the temp tag on it and I can't imagine most people who just excitedly bought their new GT would proudly drive it around in quiet mode, heh.

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
I suppose it's possible, but I wouldn't think it too likely. It still had the temp tag on it and I can't imagine most people who just excitedly bought their new GT would proudly drive it around in quiet mode, heh.
Add my wife driving in quiet mode in our temp tagged GT. I also have quiet mode start enabled by default and typically switch it to normal or sport after getting out of the neighborhood. Active exhaust was a great selling feature for us, makes the car very versatile for different tastes.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Add my wife driving in quiet mode in our temp tagged GT. I also have quiet mode start enabled by default and typically switch it to normal or sport after getting out of the neighborhood. Active exhaust was a great selling feature for us, makes the car very versatile for different tastes.
thats exactly how mine is set up. then i switch to my mode..

That said.. Jesus Christ guys how long will a post go on that no one cares about but the 2 idiots that feel they have to have the last word.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

thats exactly how mine is set up. then i switch to my mode..

That said.. Jesus Christ guys how long will a post go on that no one cares about but the 2 idiots that feel they have to have the last word.
You would think if they wanted the last post, they would have tried it in this thread. ;)
Sponsored