Automatic vs Manual

Auto or manual

• Total voters

FireCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT PP
I noticed that you say "Possibly Recaros, if they have them". Is Ford short on recaros in stock? I just ordered one with them to be built on March 18th. I really wouldn't be that upset I guess cause the stock seats are really nice. But dam I love them recaros!
Sponsored

imjuslazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Gti
Why is this topic even debated? You are driving this car, not anyone else on this forum. Just get whatever YOU want and YOU are happy with driving. No one else cares what you drive trust me.

skibigsky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium MT, Ruby Red, 401A, 50yr AP
Love my manual. My last 2 cars were Infinitis(G35 coupe and G37 coupe) and I expected my new GT to have a clunkier shift than those, but it is very smooth! It is my daily driver, and I (almost) can't wait to drive to work every day. And my husband knows how to drive a manual, so that's not an issue.:-) If you enjoy driving a manual, I highly recommend getting this one.

OP
OP
Rhys

Rhys

Enjoying my 67 Mustang
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Who knows?
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT Fastback, 2014 Focus, 2015 GT DIB
Love my manual. My last 2 cars were Infinitis(G35 coupe and G37 coupe) and I expected my new GT to have a clunkier shift than those, but it is very smooth! It is my daily driver, and I (almost) can't wait to drive to work every day. And my husband knows how to drive a manual, so that's not an issue.:-) If you enjoy driving a manual, I highly recommend getting this one.
Thanks kelly, all that information will come in use for me later. Sometimes I've bought cars with clunky shifters without knowing until after I bought it. I really couldn't care on a mustang because, well, it's a mustang!

FiveLiterDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
If you want to learn to drive a manual and are commited to learning enough so to buy a 40,000+ car with little to no experience you will learn and you will learn very quickly. When I was 16 (I'm 26 now) My dad had a RX-8, first off I was obssesed with Rx-7, that was my dream car and I wanted to drive a rotary any chance I got. Unfortunatley my dad worked a lot at that time and had little time to teach me. One day I was babysitting my little bro and the car was in the garage, I said little bro lets go take dads Rx-8 out I'll buy you a happy meal if you don't tell he agreed. Couldn't figure out the reverse mechanism so I actually pushed the car out of the garage. Got it into first and took it out now for the first few miles it was rough but I drove the car for about 4 hours that day by the time I was on my way back I was getting to be pretty good. At the intersection going back into my neighborhood I passed my dad I couldn't tell at the time if he was shocked or angry but I know after that he was more willing to let me take the car out. I think he knew that I really wanted to drive a stick and that if he wasn't going to teach me I'd figure it out. After that all of the "kid" cars were sticks I had 3 younger brothers we all shared a car while living under mom and dads roof and through college. Sorry for the long post but my point is don't let not knowing something stop you from having the experience that you want to in a car.

I also think having a stick shift as a kid made myself and my brothers much better drivers harder to be distracted (try texting and driving with a stick) and also gave us a better understanding of cars and car control.

PS I actually accidentally voted automatic on this thread I feel like a dummy but can't change it. Help Mods?

Sponsored

MagneticA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Manual v6 Mustang
Why is this topic even debated? You are driving this car, not anyone else on this forum. Just get whatever YOU want and YOU are happy with driving. No one else cares what you drive trust me.
Same reason any topic is "debated". People have opinions and like to share them... that's sort of the point of a forum... to share opinions, knowledge and have discussions.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That's what I like about you, Norm. You always offer cogent arguments and well-balanced points of view. Having visited car forums for years, I've heard the arguments for auto vs manual ad nauseam. I'm glad you're happy. I believe I will be happy as well, driving an automatic.
Thanks, Ruckus :cheers:

I've weighed the pros and cons, but as I said, I'm over it. What I find mildly amusing is the notion that I'm missing out on realizing the car's full potential by allowing the transmission to convey me, rather than row the gears to achieve the same result. (I know this will elicit "He just doesn't get it" remarks.)
And you will then know who's not been paying attention.

I don't understand why people in either camp want to win the others over. I couldn't care less whether someone shifts or doesn't shift. Why it's so important to them what I choose to do? What difference does it make? <snip> Why belabor the inevitable?
It may be a matter of people not understanding that choices such as this one are really the end result of making compromises, where both advantages and disadvantages are in play. I doubt that the transmission type that either you or I personally choose at any time really matters to anybody else, but people do tend to get a bit defensive about their own choices when faced with preferences or opinions contrary to their own. Maybe it's hard for people to accept that preferences, no matter how appropriate for any given individual, still fall short of being universal truths.

Norm

Ruckus

No Fear Here
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rux
Vehicle(s)
People Crazy
I doubt that the transmission type that either you or I personally choose at any time really matters to anybody else, but people do tend to get a bit defensive about their own choices when faced with preferences or opinions contrary to their own. Maybe it's hard for people to accept that preferences, no matter how appropriate for any given individual, still fall short of being universal truths.
:amen:

Well stated. Now, wouldn't it be funny if I ultimately chose a manually equipped car? I'm an IPA drinker, through and through. Swore off Belgian Ales because I didn't like the taste of them. Then, while in Paris, there were no IPAs to be found. BUT there were PLENTY of Belgian Ales. So… I actually developed a taste for them! Go figure. That said, I'm open to the possibility that I may change my mind before I place my order. Right now, the auto is weighing favorably with me. Who knows what I'll do when the time comes?

OP
OP
Rhys

Rhys

Enjoying my 67 Mustang
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Who knows?
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT Fastback, 2014 Focus, 2015 GT DIB
I went MT IN ORDER THAT my wife will not be able to drive my car
Haha. Cheeky bugger! She'll be real pissed off for that!

Sponsored

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Auto for daily driving. Put it in track mode and hold it in gear !

Auto here if I want to drive a stick I jump in this car. 69 Camaro Z/28 502 RamJet crate motor .. Pro touring. 5 speed :thumbsup::cheers:
535 hp port fuel injection ,aluminum heads and roll cage 4 wheel disc brakes and 373 gears. Foose wheels 19x285 in the rears
image.jpg

Last edited:

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Auto for daily driving. Put it track mode and hang on

Auto here if I want to drive a stick I jump in this car. 69 Camaro Z/28 502 RamJet crate motor .. Pro touring. 5 speed.:cheers:
image.jpg

Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
15 OW Base GT/PP/Recarros,Built STI,Built Jeep JK
^^^^^ Tits!

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
Auto here also. My manual, while it drives, is still a long way from done. Been workin 1.5 year on it. Gotta make sure it's all good, then I'll take it apart and paint it and put the halibrands on it.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Auto here also. My manual, while it drives, is still a long way from done. Been workin 1.5 year on it. Gotta make sure it's all good, then I'll take it apart and paint it and put the halibrands on it.

Nize.
Sponsored