Sponsored

Auto vs. Manual Mpg difference?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Owner
Can any owners tell me how realistic the difference is? All ford says on their website is that city mpg is better on auto, and i can't really trust what they claim after seeing owner mpg reports
Sponsored

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
MPG is way too fluid to really be able to tell the difference. It has so many variables that one person's experiences aren't going to match another person's experiences.

In highway driving I get 28 mpg. In city driving I get 5 mpg. I don't really know if that's helpful for you or not.

ShoNuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Dodge Recall... I mean Avenger
5... single digit?

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
5... single digit?
Yeah.

My home-work commute is six miles each way, 25 mph speed limit, a total of approximately 80 traffic lights (of which I normally get caught at at least 20 red lights), can take anywhere between 45 minutes and 2 hours each way. The vast majority of the time is spent idling or going less than 5 mph, which just KILLS the mileage.

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
5... single digit?
Apparently Jimmy is in Manhattan and sees some traffic that is ridiculous in typical New York fashion.

Years ago, I was in Manhattan at about 9:00 on a Sunday morning, and spent about 40 minutes waiting to cross a single intersection. It was completely gridlocked, with cars blocking the intersection in both directions - and a fire truck with lights and sirens blaring trying to cross from my right to left, and just as stuck as me. For the record, I wasn't driving - and we weren't *in* the intersection, it was a zillion other cars. I think that poor fire truck sat still for about 30 minutes before he was able to force his way through.

It boggles my mind that people want to live there.

Sponsored

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
Can any owners tell me how realistic the difference is? All ford says on their website is that city mpg is better on auto, and i can't really trust what they claim after seeing owner mpg reports
Keep in mind that there is more to it than just transmission choice. The GT has 3 different axle ratios, and I think the V6 and EB each have 2. So you have to include that in your comparison. My GT Auto with 3.55 will not be comparable to a GT Manual with 3.31 or 3.73.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Apparently Jimmy is in Manhattan and sees some traffic that is ridiculous in typical New York fashion.

Years ago, I was in Manhattan at about 9:00 on a Sunday morning, and spent about 40 minutes waiting to cross a single intersection. It was completely gridlocked, with cars blocking the intersection in both directions - and a fire truck with lights and sirens blaring trying to cross from my right to left, and just as stuck as me. For the record, I wasn't driving - and we weren't *in* the intersection, it was a zillion other cars. I think that poor fire truck sat still for about 30 minutes before he was able to force his way through.

It boggles my mind that people want to live there.
That's a pretty normal occurrence.

As to why people want to live here, there are many, MANY reasons, although it's admittedly a city vehemently against car use, and it's a tough place to be a gearhead. The positives vastly outweigh the negatives for me as far as living here in general; I just need to have a car to ensure that I can get away whenever the mood strikes me.

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
No, I had it right. I don't even really like to visit there. I have good friends who grew up there, and have mostly moved away now.

I once broke up with a girlfriend because she wanted to move to Queens and I wanted to move to damn near anywhere BUT New York.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
No, I had it right. I don't even really like to visit there. I have good friends who grew up there, and have mostly moved away now.

I once broke up with a girlfriend because she wanted to move to Queens and I wanted to move to damn near anywhere BUT New York.
All a matter of preference. If you want to work in finance, you don't really have other choices. I appreciate being able to go out and get a fantastic craft cocktail or a nice dinner at a place I've never been to before any day of the week. I like that bars stay open until 4:00 a.m. I go to a lot of museums and live music venues. I like that I don't ever really have to go outside if I don't want to (I have a sunlight aversion). I like that every single concert tour always hits here. Etc. etc. etc. etc.

Different strokes for different folks, and all.

Sponsored

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
That's a pretty normal occurrence.

As to why people want to live here, there are many, MANY reasons, although it's admittedly a city vehemently against car use, and it's a tough place to be a gearhead. The positives vastly outweigh the negatives for me as far as living here in general; I just need to have a car to ensure that I can get away whenever the mood strikes me.
I can appreciate that some people like it, and I certainly wouldn't argue with their choice. I just can't understand WHY they like it. When I go there, all I see is a filthy crowded stinking cesspit, populated with people who would cut out their own tongue with a rusty spoon before they would look a stranger in the eye and say "good morning".

It is probably just me. I have lived in Seattle, San Francisco, LA, Houston, Atlanta, and Baltimore. Even a brief stint out on Long Island and working in Brooklyn. I have done the big city thing, and now I am perfectly happy to live in a town of 16,000 people - where kids can walk to school and people can forget to lock the car once in a while. Where I can open the windows for much of 3 seasons and smell fresh-cut grass and barbecues.

To each their own, I guess!

Branden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Soooo back to topic... It's not a direct comparison, but in my 2011 manual GT I was getting around 15 MPG. In my 2015 Auto GT I'm right at 17 MPG with 800 miles on the car (same commute, same job, same house, etc.).

In the Auto it's easier to keep the RPM really low if you're just driving casually, but in the 6 speed I tended to keep the gears longer and used engine breaking consistently. The Auto goes into 5th around 35ish and 6th around 45 mph. Most manuals wouldn't drive that way, I know I wouldn't.

Long story short, I personally think there is a difference because of how each transmission allows you to drive, but it's probably only 2+- MPG apart.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
I've owned two Coyotes now. One with the manual ('11 GT) and one with the automatic ('14 GT). The '11 came from the factory with 3.73 gears and I ended up swapping to 4.56's. The '14 started with 3.15's and I ended up swapping to 4.10's.

Same commute routes with both cars, similar driving style (I'm a lead foot), as well. Both cars tuned and drag raced extensively. My take on this is that the automatic is good for slightly better mileage (although maybe just 1 mpg).
Sponsored