Sponsored

2015 vs 2016; Manual vs Auto

stangmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015/16 Mustang
Hey everyone,

I used to cherish my 1989 fox body 5.0 for years but when I moved to Georgia in 2007 I sold her in order to get a practical Mazda. I've loved the Mazda(s) I've had, but I'm now in the position to get back into a Mustang.

I plan on getting a 2015 or 2016 GT Premium with the Performance Package and a manual transmission. I can't decide on pulling the trigger now for a 2015 or putting in an order for a 2016. Do you owners of a 2015 find the infotainment system to be lacking? Because the main upgrade to the 2016 for me is the new Sync3 system.

I've always disliked fancy infotainment systems because of their lag and poor functionality, but the Sync3 system seems to be pretty good. What do you think of the current one?

Also, I drive in Atlanta traffic every day, and I wanted to see what some other folks here thought about driving a manual in pretty heavy city traffic on a daily basis. Do you wish at times you would have gotten an automatic? Or is it really not all that bad driving a modern stick shift these days in heavy traffic?

Let me know your thoughts. I think I'll be bummed to go the whole summer without the new Mustang as a 2016 probably wouldn't arrive until September, but if it's the right call, I think I can manage.

I'm really glad I found this forum - you've been a great help guiding me toward which package/options I want to get, so thank you in advance!
Sponsored

StangMan04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I can't speak for the 2015s, but I am waiting to order a 2016. I like that SYNC3 can be updated via wifi, unlike MFT. I am talking to dealers now to place an order.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Hey everyone,

I used to cherish my 1989 fox body 5.0 for years but when I moved to Georgia in 2007 I sold her in order to get a practical Mazda. I've loved the Mazda(s) I've had, but I'm now in the position to get back into a Mustang.

I plan on getting a 2015 or 2016 GT Premium with the Performance Package and a manual transmission. I can't decide on pulling the trigger now for a 2015 or putting in an order for a 2016. Do you owners of a 2015 find the infotainment system to be lacking? Because the main upgrade to the 2016 for me is the new Sync3 system.

I've always disliked fancy infotainment systems because of their lag and poor functionality, but the Sync3 system seems to be pretty good. What do you think of the current one?

Also, I drive in Atlanta traffic every day, and I wanted to see what some other folks here thought about driving a manual in pretty heavy city traffic on a daily basis. Do you wish at times you would have gotten an automatic? Or is it really not all that bad driving a modern stick shift these days in heavy traffic?

Let me know your thoughts. I think I'll be bummed to go the whole summer without the new Mustang as a 2016 probably wouldn't arrive until September, but if it's the right call, I think I can manage.

I'm really glad I found this forum - you've been a great help guiding me toward which package/options I want to get, so thank you in advance!
At this point, you should just wait for the '16s unless you want to score a good deal.

Personally, I'm being swayed more and more to wait for the '17 because of the Camaro reveal and what they threw in their '16.

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
I haven't had difficulty using mft. I use it daily to play music using a USB drive and I occasionally use my Nav which also hasn't given me problems. If you can wait you probably should but I can't imagine driving my old car all summer and seeing everyone else have all the fun lol

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
If I take the stang to work it's an hour of stop and go traffic each way. I don't mind having a manual at all. Sure an auto would be "easier" but not by much, IMO. Hard to know how good SYNC 3 will be before it hits lots and you can play with it. I'm sure people thought the original MFT would be awesome, too.

Sponsored

Socalmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium w/PP Race Red
I have the 2015 GT Premium PP. MFT is kind of slow and wish it would be faster, but it's not over the top. The new Sync 3 should be a significant upgrade, with major improvements. I would look at the price you can get for the 2015 and see the difference for a 2016. Personally, If the price is mre than 1k difference, go with the 2015...Just my opinion or if money is not that a factor then a 2016

elfiero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT Premium, 401A, silver, ebony, A/T
We have a '15 GT Premium A/T, and I drove a '15 GT 6spd. (in Atlanta rush hour traffic, no less) for a week. Hands down, the A/T is a better choice(unless you are a closet rickyracer). Driving the manual, you basically bypass 1st,3rd,and 5th, MOST of the time 'cause there just isn't any reason to use them. Besides, HTF are you supposed to hold your cellphone and your Grande Latte while you shift?

hawkbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT Premium PP
We have a '15 GT Premium A/T, and I drove a '15 GT 6spd. (in Atlanta rush hour traffic, no less) for a week. Hands down, the A/T is a better choice(unless you are a closet rickyracer). Driving the manual, you basically bypass 1st,3rd,and 5th, MOST of the time 'cause there just isn't any reason to use them. Besides, HTF are you supposed to hold your cellphone and your Grande Latte while you shift?
Yeah - I am a long time Manual kinda guy - but due to the wifes knee replacement needs up and coming - we went with an auto this time and you know what, it ain't to teribly bad.

Wish it was the ZF 8 instead of teh ZF 6 (clone) that Ford made but it'll do for the next 3 - 5 years.

MFT isnt too teribly bad, it is way better than the MMI that I had in my Audi that I traded for it. A little slow but way more feature packed.

Wish the MFT could do video, but you can't win then all.

And this is just my .02 on it.....;)

Ron Avery

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT coupe
I have a 2015 Gt with the PP package. I live in the LA area so heavy traffic is all around me. I am 57 and have never owned an automatic car. While I don't drive in a lot of heavy traffic (I live close to work) the thought of the Auto was never an option of me. I like the info system in my 2015 Gt. For me waiting for the upgrade was not that important. If you can find a 2015 on the lot the way you like, than go for it. If not, I would wait for the 2016. Either way they are great cars.
Ron

wildsailor

This Club for me?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
If I take the stang to work it's an hour of stop and go traffic each way. I don't mind having a manual at all. Sure an auto would be "easier" but not by much, IMO. Hard to know how good SYNC 3 will be before it hits lots and you can play with it. I'm sure people thought the original MFT would be awesome, too.
The clutch pedal has an 'assist spring' on it that lowers the actuation effort at the cost of a non-linear feeling pedal. I have driven mine for 5 weeks in rush and go traffic (50 minutes each direction) and had no issue at all other than 1st gear engagement being a little less smooth than I would like.

Over this past weekend I popped the assist spring off to try to get a more linear feel to the clutch pedal and it did the trick. However, without the spring the effort is higher (but not by too much) and definitely noticeable and my left leg was a bit overworked when I got to work this morning. I told myself I would try this for this week and if by Friday I find the efforts too high for this constant 50 minute ride I will reinstall the spring next weekend.

So, in short, the manual is not too bad in traffic at all and especially if the assist spring is left in.

I cannot comment on MFT vs. Sync III because I do not use it all that much. The climate controls are in the touch screen and going between that and the audio controls are no big deal. I have not explored any of the advanced features because I do not really need them.

Sponsored

lwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50th
I am in Athens. I used to drive a manual in Athens and Atlanta. I swore I'd never do that again........and I won't. Of course, I am 54 now, but that was only 6 years ago.

I have had my '15 GT for about 3 1/2 weeks now. We drove down 85 to Mall of Georgia this past Sunday. The interstate was fun.... but once on GA20, I would not have wanted to be in a manual....I imagine the guy on 400 at drive time are hating life riding the clutch pedal.

This my 3rd car with MyFord Touch. I love it. I decided I would much rather have a 50 year anniversary package than the Sync 3. I have ZERO problems with Sync. And we have it in two other cars. And there are some really good looking '15s still available.

Akins Ford in Winder has some really good looking inventory and are making great deals too. I got mine in Athens for a great deal. Both dealers have quite a few.

OP
OP

stangmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015/16 Mustang
Thanks guys! I just got off the phone with my dealer and I'm heading down on Thursday to order a 2016. Giving me a few months to wait will make sure I have everything in line before it arrives I suppose.

I somehow forgot that you couldn't get the performance pack with the auto, so that decided it for me. I hope my left leg doesn't get too tired in ATL traffic =)

I'll post a picture after she is delivered!

Degen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
Sync2 is really awful. never had an infotainment system before and I still see it as crap. It's so terriblyou slow
Sponsored