OP
OP
Blown86GT

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yes, I did. Two or three times, actually.

Honestly, it didn't tell me anything I didn't already know generally or anything I couldn't figure out specifically for the cases at hand.

He omitted a lot of detail. Didn't mention help coming from the torque converter at all. Or the slight drop in speed when you upshift a MT that upshifts in an AT minimize, and where those shift points might occur during the "standard" acceleration measurements (60', 0-60 mph, ET). Other stuff as well.

Just so you know, I've been picking away at mathematically simulating car acceleration long enough that the basic formula I wrote for that sim could have its own AARP card.

Norm
The intent of me linking this article was to highlight the first, to my knowledge, side by side comparison of a 10 speed auto vs. manual. Penmanship/article content withstanding, performance between the two variants on the same day is where the value is. Obviously driver, traction, as well as other factors can have a significant effect on acceleration performance but again, this might be as close to a unbiased comparison between the two. Happy motoring to both types!
Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
The intent of me linking this article was to highlight the first, to my knowledge, side by side comparison of a 10 speed auto vs. manual. Penmanship/article content withstanding, performance between the two variants on the same day is where the value is. Obviously driver, traction, as well as other factors can have a significant effect on acceleration performance but again, this might be as close to a unbiased comparison between the two. Happy motoring to both types!
Then there was the question: "What advantages does a manual have over an automatic?"

Answers were provided.

The response to the answers was then: "nu-uh."

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
i dont get why there is any debate between auto. i think most people know the auto is faster, at least in a straight line. If you enjoy manual more then great. if you do roady course or auto cross i understand getting a manual. i think ford did a good job of making the auto a fun experience for daily driving. I keep seeing the claims that a pro driver in a manual on a tire could run 11s.. please. i guess there is no pro driver alive. I always laugh at how many people claim they have "driver mod" but any time a manual is slow it needs a "driver mod". there are too many benefits for the manual to overcome.

side note. sometimes i wonder if its a hidden agenda to rid the manuals. if they continue to make them weaker and less people buy them. Didn't manuals used to be stronger and faster? now its the other way.
WRT the bold part, that used to be the case. The game changed when ZF introduced their 6HP (aka Ford 6R80) and GM introduced their own 6-spd, also called 6R50/60/80/90 depending on which car or truck. Until those transmissions, AT equipped vehicles either had engine power reduced compared to MT equipped vehicles or at the very least, the shifts were torque managed. ATs, specifically the clutch packs, couldn’t handle the energy coming from the engine so they had to be managed to reduce the torque before energizing the clutch packs. With the ZF and GM designs, the powerflows that they were designed around did a better job of putting the power, torque, and energy through without compromising input shafts and clutch packs. The ZF 8HP, GM 8Rxx, and Aisin 8 speeds improved on that and now the Ford/GM co-developed 10AT does an even better job of handling the power, torque, and energy. Plus they add the development of shift engagement to achieve lightning fast shifts, approaching DCT shift times. It will be interesting to see if the “non-manual” GT500 mule that has been seen driving around is preparing for a Tremec 7DCT or a Ford 10AT. Word on the street is the 10AT handles torque better than the 7DCT and shifts almost as fast, if not dead on.

That A10 can't guess the gear it needs to be in, to powerslid around a street corner, does it...?

A10 is fast, but you loose control of your clutch and gearing.
When I track my car, I get good response using paddles.

Thank you for that.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
↑↑↑ Do you mean the "5 things you should never do ..." video or the "how to launch ..." one? Videos don't link directly for me (IE something or other), and a youtube search brings up both of those.

Norm

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
↑↑↑ Do you mean the "5 things you should never do ..." video or the "how to launch ..." one? Videos don't link directly for me (IE something or other), and a youtube search brings up both of those.

Norm

"Five things you should never do in an automatic transmission vehicle".....and "Is it bad to engine brake with a manual transmission".

Basically, never coast in neutral and engine braking is good.