Sponsored

Another 2020 engine failure

Ravinshield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt350
Guys the unthinkable has happened, my 2020 went down August 17 and today I was told cylinder 7 was filled with coolant and also a bent valve. Car had 935 miles, what a POS engine. Full engine replacement is on its way.

20210908_093756.jpg
Sponsored

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Hate to hear that man, hope she's back up and running quickly!

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
Guys the unthinkable has happened, my 2020 went down August 17 and today I was told cylinder 7 was filled with coolant and also a bent valve. Car had 935 miles, what a POS engine. Full engine replacement is on its way.

20210908_093756.jpg

HEP#15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition L0015
So sorry to hear. There's a metric crap ton of information on navigating an engine replacement so definitely take advantage of that moving forward and hope it goes smoothly.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ravinshield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt350
So sorry to hear. There's a metric crap ton of information on navigating an engine replacement so definitely take advantage of that moving forward and hope it goes smoothly.
Thanks man, already called Ford and spoke to 3 different reps, they all said ford will not extend my warranty, they won't pay my monthly payment and I just got a rental 3 weeks after it went down. Very disappointed in ford right now. This is my 5th mustang so idk it might be my last.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Now that it won't be worth millions on the auction block in 20 years because of a non-numbers matching engine, drive the flipp'n wheels off it. like it was ment/built for.
Good luck with it.
Sadly hand built engines are only as good as the people putting them together , and to be fair even 70k plus hand built race engines fail from time to time, even when those building them care and triple check everything. it happens. parts fail, most times a whole batch of the same part. It be wise for ford to see if these failures are from a bad batch of "A" part.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
The head of Fords Performance Division was doing the Track Attack with his son when I was there in May. He has a Heritage R For reference. He was a really good open guy. I asked about the mechanical side of things. He said the 350 basically has a hand built motor like a Porsche but with a regular Ford car manufacturing supply line. It is what it is. I feel for those in that unfortunate position. But let’s not kid ourselves, all manufacturers have shxt that breaks. I’d keep pushing for the extended warranty if I was the op, and drive the shxt out of it while it was under warranty

Now that it won't be worth millions on the auction block in 20 years because of a non-numbers matching engine, drive the flipp'n wheels off it. like it was ment/built for.
Good luck with it.
Sadly hand built engines are only as good as the people putting them together , and to be fair even 70k plus hand built race engines fail from time to time, even when those building them care and triple check everything. it happens. parts fail, most times a whole batch of the same part. It be wise for ford to see if these failures are from a bad batch of "A" part.

OP
OP

Ravinshield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt350
Good luck with it.
That's the plan, I was driving the car maybe twice a week but after this I plan on beating the crap out of it.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

20210908_093756.jpg
Was the Timing Chain system checked on your GT350 before the engine failure?

Here's the GT350 Timing Chain TSB thread if you have not seen it:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tsb-for-secondary-cam-chain-tensioner.158799/

Here's a similar thread in the GT500 sub-forum:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...hain-tensioner-service-guide-attached.158780/

Last edited:
OP
OP

Ravinshield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 gt350

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
In all honesty - I wouldn't know about the timing tensioner check thing if I had not seen it here - so probably some people out there with a pending issue on their hands. Luckily, mine is activated and not on the VIN range of potential issues. OP - post up your VIN or check the Fordpass app to see if they indicated you were at risk. Ford should have done a better job at reaching out on these - there seemed to be a specific range, so only some had the issue...seems like it would be easier to catch with some communication.

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
Was the Timing Chain system checked on your GT350 before the engine failure?

Here's the GT350 Timing Chain TSB thread if you have not seen it:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/tsb-for-secondary-cam-chain-tensioner.158799/

Here's a similar thread in the GT500 sub-forum:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...hain-tensioner-service-guide-attached.158780/
That was my first thought. A valid question.
OP...This really blows. Hope you get some joy back.
Sponsored