2017 gt350 engine failure

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Once warranty is up...we'll know what's causing the failures, then we can say "told you so" otherwise it's all white noise.
Sponsored

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I won't go down this road past this post, but I find it weird then that they can switch suspension components and quite a few other things on the R, but they can't one other part?
That is your choice. The big components are easy to differentiate and market as such, such a small change on the motor itself that creates two different part numbers just doesnt make sense logistically or from an engineering standpoint. If there was a clear cut advantage it would have been all engines

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
That is your choice. The big components are easy to differentiate and market as such, such a small change on the motor itself that creates two different part numbers just doesnt make sense logistically or from an engineering standpoint. If there was a clear cut advantage it would have been all engines
I thought the race engines have them in theirs (GT4)? If not a clear cut advantage, why not use PMG?
I know...sounds like a broken record... I'm done with this thread until the I told you so's hit.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Ok let me rephrase, if the engineers thought it was a clear cut advantage for the street cars, it would have been in all of the motors. Having an advantage and meeting all the design requirements are two different things (ie cost, type of use, etc). My main point is the chances of them putting them in the R and not the base GT350 is extremely slim

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
The GT4 and FR350S and I believe the GT350R-C all have dry sump oil systems. I know for a fact the GT4 and FR350S does.

Sponsored

Forgedwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
The GT4 and FR350S and I believe the GT350R-C all have dry sump oil systems. I know for a fact the GT4 and FR350S does.
Wow, a dry sump system would have been amazing. Lower center of gravity with no oil pan and no issues with cavitation during hard cornering. The hard core race cars always get it, but cost and complexity usually cause it to get axed for street cars. Unless its a $150,000 Porsche or really expensive exotic.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Wow, a dry sump system would have been amazing. Lower center of gravity with no oil pan and no issues with cavitation during hard cornering. The hard core race cars always get it, but cost and complexity usually cause it to get axed for street cars. Unless its a $150,000 Porsche or really expensive exotic.
I've talked to Aviaid and Peterson about their dry system and I'm considering going that route. This is something GM did right on the z28.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I've seen rod bearings fail from a piece of gasket or a lump of silicone as well.
In reviewing the alleged OPG failure from the previous post, I think it likely that the Whipple blower's cylinder pressures were too much for the rod bearings at high RPM and the crank journal seized, spinning the bearings. Then a small piece of failed bearing goes into the oil pump and "bang", goodbye oil pump gears. OPG tolerances are very close, by design.
If that was the case, then @Roh92cp might be able to tell us if he saw any obvious signs of debris impact/damage on the areas of the OPGs that might have taken a hit if that actually happened. Of course, once the OPGs shatter due to whatever reason, there would be all kinds of clashing and grinding going on inside the oil pump and you probably couldn't tell what caused what.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If that was the case, then @Roh92cp might be able to tell us if he saw any obvious signs of debris impact/damage on the areas of the OPGs that might have taken a hit if that actually happened. Of course, once the OPGs shatter due to whatever reason, there would be all kinds of clashing and grinding going on inside the oil pump and you probably couldn't tell what caused what.
His car is the only FI car that has had that happen. At least posted here. And a lot of people are running FI with stock gears. Some of them PD S/C. Including the GT500, making 631 lb ft. And some of the centris are tuned for high RPM. I don't imagine Ford was replacing very many GT500 engines under warranty or they would have changed the gear.
Sponsored