Sponsored

Another 2020 GT350 engine failure

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Come on Ford get your s*** together with the Voodoo. Sorry this happened to you.

Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Lmao, like clockwork.
Glad you find the time to sarcastically reply, love the internet. I had two GT 350"s and liked both cars a lot. How many have you had? Its well documented theirs a problem with the Voodoo and Ford is doing nothing to fix the problem just putting another engine in that has the same possible mechanical chance of failure. The plus is that they're giving out a new engine under factory/powertrain warranty. The minus you have a brand new beautiful fast machine you've always wanted and pray first the engine doesn't blow no matter how you drive it since its becoming more common. And second that whom ever the mechanic putting the new engine in knows what the hell he's doing and gets it all back together right and don't scratch hell out of your new car in the process. Your turn!

WesS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
I have a low vin/ chassis number for 2020 R and hit 450 miles. Was wondering what his was maybe it could be a bad early batch or maybe just several failures. How many 2020 350s have been produced and driven so far?

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I have a low vin/ chassis number for 2020 R and hit 450 miles. Was wondering what his was maybe it could be a bad early batch or maybe just several failures. How many 2020 350s have been produced and driven so far?
I don’t think you are in the clear, mine was at 720 miles, another exact same failure was at 1100 miles. Now this one at 200, definitely a bad component in the valvetrain. I would think this should merit a recall soon if there are more failures...

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Must be a batch of bad valves being used. Wonder who makes them for Ford? Hope it’s not made from melted Chinese refrigerators and washing machines.

CoolHandLuke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R (Chassis #LR001)
I sure hope you’re wrong about the bad “early batch” for 2020. I managed to purchase chassis #001 last October and currently have just over 700 miles on the clock. I believe mine was built in August. Mine runs like a raped ape so far and hasn’t burned a drop of oil. I’ve also been judicious in my break-in technique. TBC...

Sponsored

WesS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R
I don’t think you are in the clear, mine was at 720 miles, another exact same failure was at 1100 miles. Now this one at 200, definitely a bad component in the valvetrain. I would think this should merit a recall soon if there are more failures...
Did you say you went back to the same dealer you bought it from or a different one?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
Chassis #LR121 here and purchased January 17th. Just put on 242 miles and running strong. I agree with others that I hope this problem is not a defective batch of valves.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
We know that starting with 2019+ Voodoo engines sharing blocks/components with Predators. Bore and Stroke are the same for both. So, I assume they sharing the same cylinder heads as well.
I've searched for GT500 engine failure and couldn't find any. However, I found four instances of 2020 GT350 engine failure. I'm trying to apply logic to this pattern. The most noticeable difference between this engines is a crank shaft. Voodoo have flat plane and Predator cross plane. When Ford developed Voodoo the prototype was Ferrari's engine from 458 Italia with flat plane crank. Ford chooses different crankshaft layout for Voodoo(U-D-U-D) than one from Ferrari(U - D - D - U). So, why Ford decided to do different crankshaft layout? I found the below discussion very interesting and deserve attention:
https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=401468

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I don’t think that would cause valve stems to snap, but who knows...harmonics and vibrations and how it resonates with components is dark magic. A few years ago Yamaha went through a similar thing on the R6 thst was snapping valve stems.

Wildcardfox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
I’m in-between cars
We know that starting with 2019+ Voodoo engines sharing blocks/components with Predators. Bore and Stroke are the same for both. So, I assume they sharing the same cylinder heads as well.
I've searched for GT500 engine failure and couldn't find any. However, I found four instances of 2020 GT350 engine failure. I'm trying to apply logic to this pattern. The most noticeable difference between this engines is a crank shaft. Voodoo have flat plane and Predator cross plane. When Ford developed Voodoo the prototype was Ferrari's engine from 458 Italia with flat plane crank. Ford chooses different crankshaft layout for Voodoo(U-D-U-D) than one from Ferrari(U - D - D - U). So, why Ford decided to do different crankshaft layout? I found the below discussion very interesting and deserve attention:
https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=401468

Let me put my journalist hat on. Bore and stroke remained unchanged to previous years which is 94mm x 93mm. The GT500 also has that same bore and stroke. Ford never mentioned in any press junkets or media events that they changed the cylinder head in the GT350 in 2019 or up.
Sponsored