New owner - engine failure

Jasonb543

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
The car needs to Rev, my bro had one for 2 years.

Just always be above 3k rpm... it's a F'n track car, not a parking garage car.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Nick@VaBeach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
SS 1LE
The car needs to Rev, my bro had one for 2 years.

Just always be above 3k rpm... it's a F'n track car, not a parking garage car.
Rightā€¦ Iā€™ll just not drive it where I live. Thanks for the advice. Cool

Jasonb543

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
1993 fox
Drive it where you live of course, but don't try to cruise it at 2k rpm, the motor needs the rpm.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Rightā€¦ Iā€™ll just not drive it where I live. Thanks for the advice. Cool
Drive it where you live of course, but don't try to cruise it at 2k rpm, the motor needs the rpm.
I keep thinking thereā€™s some middle ground. Or thereā€™s something amiss with the car. Shouldnā€™t be a problem.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Yes something very well could be wrong but was just pointing out that this isn't a Honda Accord - the RPM and manner that was described are the most likely places someone could reproduce a herky jerky feeling and still have absolutely nothing wrong with the car.

Hopefully it gets fixed soon - if it's still an issue maybe you can get someone to let you drive theirs to compare.

Sponsored

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Bronco Sport Outerbanks
Ok yeah my car bucks randomly while rolling slowly in 1st or second gear even when I'm delicate with the throttle... must be part of the problem. I find the throttle pedal very unpredictable. Without moving the pedal I get acceleration then deceleration in that herky jerky way.
This happens to me pretty often if I'm rolling slow over an intersection crown (10mph or so in 1st). Makes me feel like I just started driving a manual tranny. Always figured it was just a characteristic of this car/driving in sport mode. The bump causes my foot to hit the gas causing a loop of bucking lol.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
These car for sure donā€™t like low rpm. Bump the revā€™s up just a bit and everything falls in to place.

This happens to me pretty often if I'm rolling slow over an intersection crown (10mph or so in 1st). Makes me feel like I just started driving a manual tranny. Always figured it was just a characteristic of this car/driving in sport mode. The bump causes my foot to hit the gas causing a loop of bucking lol.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
These car for sure donā€™t like low rpm. Bump the revā€™s up just a bit and everything falls in to place.
agreed.. it's unhappy in the low rpm range unless you are cruising on the highway at 70+ in 6th gear.

OP
OP

Nick@VaBeach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
SS 1LE
Picked the car up after the tone ring repair. Haven't driven it enough to see if the tone ring was the culprit. So far, it feels happier, less herky-jerky and the cruise control works. But - it usually feels fine cold/ new from the dealer. Weather should be nicer tomorrow so I'm going to log some miles and see if she's healthy.

Sponsored

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
72 Mach 1, 72 F250 2wd, 18 GT350, 22 Bronco 2 Door
Picked the car up after the tone ring repair. Haven't driven it enough to see if the tone ring was the culprit. So far, it feels happier, less herky-jerky and the cruise control works. But - it usually feels fine cold/ new from the dealer. Weather should be nicer tomorrow so I'm going to log some miles and see if she's healthy.
Did the tone ring fix resolve your issue?

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Would just trade one problem for another. Dealers can't sell for more than someone will pay.

Pay more now vs waiting until production ends and getting your back-order canceled along with the zillion other people who wanted that many more of a model than a manufacturer can produce.

The best compromise might be to set MSRP close to what the market will bear but manufacturers aren't mind readers of populations and/or economies and would rather have customers blaming dealers for markups than the manufacturer if they keep adjusting MSRP to match prevailing best guess.
It's a free market, and dealers come in all colors shapes and sizes.

We were looking at getting a new Wagoneer for my wife. Called the dealer I bought my last Jeep from, and they were offering me $2K OFF the MSRP. Drove over (30 miles) checked it out, drove one as well as the Extended Grand Cherokee. Excited about the prospect I took my wife to the Jeep dealer 4 miles from our house and they had a $10K markup!! I told them about the other dealer, and they just shrugged............. "We know our market and we will sell them" was their attitude. Buncha cologne soaked muldoons....

I hate dealers............ Tried to get my Bullitt aligned this weekend, none of the 3 could do it, and I was SHOCKED at how crappy one of the dealers service departments were, and the jokers working there? I mean at least try.........

cortez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had a similar experience with dealership troubleshooting and repair efforts on my car. Once they replaced the tone ring, the surging, inoperative cruise control and other issues were fixed. I hope you have a similar outcome, e.g., time to enjoy the ride!

OP
OP

Nick@VaBeach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
SS 1LE
Did the tone ring fix resolve your issue?
So the tone ring seems to have resolved the majority of the issues, although there is still some unpredictability with the throttle, and the engine sometimes does something funny where it goes really quiet and almost dies on rev-matched downshifts... no idea what to think anymore.

Cruise control works though....

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
So the tone ring seems to have resolved the majority of the issues, although there is still some unpredictability with the throttle, and the engine sometimes does something funny where it goes really quiet and almost dies on rev-matched downshifts... no idea what to think anymore.

Cruise control works though....
Am I understanding correctly? You blip the throttle for a down shift and instead of rev matching it almost dies.
Sponsored