New 2020 GT350 HEP engine failure

mroad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP
My brand new GT350 Heritage Edition with 24 days of ownership and only 728 miles on it had engine failure and needs the whole long block engine replaced.

I bought it a brand new from a dealership showroom with 8 miles on it. I liked the looks so much that I wanted to preserve it and I invested $3600 in PPF, ceramic coating, and paint correction right after I got it. Still breaking it in and giving it the white glove treatment.

Last Friday I was driving to a nearby coffee shop and strolling in low speed and low RPM on a major street and was about to stop at a red light when I heard a loud, random, short sound from the exhaust pipe. When the traffic light turned green, the car lost all power and could barely move. I parked on the side of the road and had it towed it to the dealer.

Today I got the verdict from the dealer service center: Something broke in the valve train mechanism (cam/follower/valve), fell into the cylinder, and hosed the engine. He said it wasnā€™t my fault. The whole long block engine needs to be replaced and they ordered another engine under warranty.

Happy Holidays!

Sounds familiar? After this happened to me, I did search and found at least 10 other folks like me here and in other social media with similar stories: New 2020 GT350 with very low mileage had their engines fail due to valve/timing parts breaking while the car is driven gently.

Picking the car at the dealership:

GT350HEP1.jpg

Filling gas before taking it home:

GT350HEP2.jpg

24 days later, towing it to the dealer after the engine failed:

GT350HEP3.jpg

Autopsy pics (not for the faint of heart):

GT350HEP4.jpg

GT350HEP5.jpg

GT350HEP6.jpg

GT350HEP7.jpg

GT350HEP8.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Beautiful car, regardless of the hiccup. I wouldnā€™t let the replacement engine turn you off of ownership.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
You did all the right things. Sorry this happened to you, but as you noted this happens and I'm sure your dealer will get you taken care of. At least in Cali you get to drive it when fixed as opposed to us Northern saps who can only stare at it in the garage. ...

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Iā€™m so sorry to hear that. I just hit 800 miles on my HEP R and I love it. I drive it though, and idk what the white glove treatment is, but after cycling the engine as recommended during the first 100 miles, I started driving it like I stole it, respectful of my surroundings and the fellow drivers.

These cars werenā€™t meant to putz in. When you get your new engine, drive it!

Parts failures are a supplier issue... but, poop happens, right? Who was your engineā€™s builder?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Fight tooth and nail to retain the block. I have heard of rare instances where that has happened. Be emphatic that that the car is a limited edition vehicle and numbers matching is critical. Even if you had to cough up 5K to keep the stripped long block, it would be worth it to me.

With a car like that, that would be my #1 priority.

Sponsored

OP
OP

mroad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP
Iā€™m so sorry to hear that. I just hit 800 miles on my HEP R and I love it. I drive it though, and idk what the white glove treatment is, but after cycling the engine as recommended during the first 100 miles, I started driving it like I stole it, respectful of my surroundings and the fellow drivers.

These cars werenā€™t meant to putz in. When you get your new engine, drive it!

Parts failures are a supplier issue... but, poop happens, right? Who was your engineā€™s builder?
Thanks DrumReaper. What I mean by white glove treatment is no tracking, no launching, just sporadic rev takes when the car is normal operating temperature, maxing at about 7.5K, but no extended revving. I followed the breaking in procedures and I'm aware that we shouldn't thrash the car hard (or tracking it) in its first $1K mile. The car is still in the service center waiting for the engine. I didn't take note of the builder plate.

The downside for engine replacement is the following:
  1. It will be reported in Carfax that engine was replaced.
  2. The new engine will not have matching VIN number (the last few digits).
  3. It will lose value. I read from another member here who had engine replacement and couldn't get offers even for 10% below fair market value and the car was sitting for sale for a while. He ended up trading it in for a ZL1.
  4. It will lose prestige since I'm hearing the replacement engines don't have builder plates.
All of the above makes it that much painful when I just purchased it brand new, and effectively I'm ending up in a situation similar to someone who just purchased a RAV buyback car with a replacement engine.

OP
OP

mroad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP
Fight tooth and nail to retain the block. I have heard of rare instances where that has happened. Be emphatic that that the car is a limited edition vehicle and numbers matching is critical. Even if you had to cough up 5K to keep the stripped long block, it would be worth it to me.

With a car like that, that would be my #1 priority.
Tom, the issue here is that Ford does not want the dealer service center to do any further disassembly of the engine. They were only authorized to take off the top covers and take pictures of the timing and valve mechanism and see what's broken. The service rep told me they are not allowed to do any further disassembly or attempt to repair the engine themselves, and Ford hot line instructed them to order a new engine, long block and all. So there is no way for them to retain the block.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The downside for engine replacement is the following:
  1. It will be reported in Carfax that engine was replaced.
  2. The new engine will not have matching VIN number (the last few digits).
don't worry. All the cool kids are doing it (getting replacement engines) so the stigma will go away since "so many" will have the same brand on their histories.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tom, the issue here is that Ford does not want the dealer service center to do any further disassembly of the engine. They were only authorized to take off the top covers and take pictures of the timing and valve mechanism and see what's broken. The service rep told me they are not allowed to do any further disassembly or attempt to repair the engine themselves, and Ford hot line instructed them to order a new engine, long block and all. So there is no way for them to retain the block.
Oh, believe me, I know. Ford ships a new long block, the dealership strips various external components that are to be used again and it is reinstalled back in the vehicle.

What I am suggesting is making enough stink to buy the defective long block. I would be irate. Here you have a limited edition vehicle that will no longer be numbers matching. I would buy the leftover long block and rebuild it.

I am making some assumptions. If the OP has no intention of keeping the car long term, then the point is moot. Go ahead and swap engines and be on your way. But many HEP owners have more long term ambitions. If this is the case, I would want to preserve the original block.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Retain the block as in make the needed repairs to put it back in service or keep the broken one to say you have the numbers matching block and put the replacement in the car?
Yes. I would fight to keep the defective long block. I would pay whatever it took.

Edited to add:
The chance is remote, but I would explore that possibility.

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
The builders name plate is retained and reused on the replacement motor

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Do you know the build date of the car? Post VIN?

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
Iā€™m curious to see if itā€™s an early build as well.
Sponsored