Sponsored

TSB for Secondary Cam Chain Tensioner

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
My guy just called me to say there is a new Inspection and Delivery Hold for the GT350 and GT500 engines - secondary cam chain tensioner.
Even though my GT500 fits the window, it’s not on the VIN specific list. I’m sure I would have noticed if I have this problem.
Added the Inspection Guide referenced in the notice.
Sponsored

Attachments

hbjones65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 (Chassis No. L0244) - HEP
My guy just called me to say there is a new Inspection and Delivery Hold for the GT350 and GT500 engines - secondary cam chain tensioner.
Even though my GT500 fits the window, it’s not on the VIN specific list. I’m sure I would have noticed if I have this problem.
Added the Inspection Guide referenced in the notice.
My Fordpass app showed me that alert today on my 2020 GT350. :( I haven't tried to contact my dealer yet, but will be curious to know how serious this problem might be and how my dealer treats me (as the 2nd owner) of Chassis No. L0244. I am kind of hoping that I can wait till my 1,000 mile break-in/ first oil change. Any thoughts???

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
If your engine has a tensioner that isn't released this is a very serious problem.

Last edited:

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Well this def seems like it could be the smoking gun for the failures that some have experienced. Rumors of bad batches of valves, random broken timing chains and you name it could easily be explained by this.

Where's the VIN list? That's basically an entire year of production there.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
This came up on my Fordpass too. Looks like a call tomorrow.
I dont really look at the app much - what page would it be under?

PS - September build date

Last edited:

QCGoose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 (Velocity Blue)
Damn, my build date falls square in the middle of the given timeline (June 2020).

I haven't gotten it out of storage yet this year, and won't be able to check it myself until tomorrow, but it currently has about 1800 miles and fingers crossed it's been activated.

Around 1100 miles or so I did its first oil change and then between there and its current mileage it's seen some spirited driving on occasion and a redline here and there. It never felt down on power so I'm really hoping my car isn't affected, but man I'm gonna be nervous until I can see it for myself to be sure.

-RAC-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350
I dont really look at the app much - what page would it be under?

PS - September build date

I just signed in on the website and it was listed with my VIN under

FIELD SERVICE ACTIONS
We found 1 field service action(s) listed on your vehicle. Action may be required.

Details

I DD mine to work 85 miles round trip. I think I'll hold off driving until I know for sure.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I just signed in on the website and it was listed with my VIN under

FIELD SERVICE ACTIONS
We found 1 field service action(s) listed on your vehicle. Action may be required.

Details

I DD mine to work 85 miles round trip. I think I'll hold off driving until I know for sure.
So far so good:
1619492548826.png

I would almost rather go to the dentist than the dealer, so this is good.

Sponsored
OP
OP
The Chairman

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
My Fordpass app showed me that alert today on my 2020 GT350. :( I haven't tried to contact my dealer yet, but will be curious to know how serious this problem might be and how my dealer treats me (as the 2nd owner) of Chassis No. L0244. I am kind of hoping that I can wait till my 1,000 mile break-in/ first oil change. Any thoughts???
They get paid .4 hours for just sticking a mirror in the oil fill hole, and maybe more if they find something. They will probably do the inspection.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Even though some VINs don't fall within the action, I would STILL check as directed on this forum and the attached FSA, not just take this for granted:
1619531134987.png

We all know there's been instances of S550 VINs outside of an FSA, SSM or TSB that have been affected by other common S550 warranty issues BUT were not included in communication within a certain manufacturing period....

Be proactive and safe - if your VIN doesn't come up in the Group, still do the manual check anyway, or if you can't, have a Service Center do it for you.

This most likely explains the rash of GT350/350R and GT500 engine failures within very limited use (miles).

This should be a sticky thread...

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I don't really know what a broken Chain Tensioner is, but I just checked and saw that mine came up. Mine was just at the dealership last week, so kinda bad timing. I haven't taken mine to the track yet, but I have driving it very aggressively since I past the break-in and I'm at 4,000 miles.

I don't have any advice as I don't know everything about the engine but if something was broken I am pretty sure my engine would be toast now.

(Watch it breakdown now as I drive it to the dealership lol)

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Damn, my build date falls square in the middle of the given timeline (June 2020).

I haven't gotten it out of storage yet this year, and won't be able to check it myself until tomorrow, but it currently has about 1800 miles and fingers crossed it's been activated.

Around 1100 miles or so I did its first oil change and then between there and its current mileage it's seen some spirited driving on occasion and a redline here and there. It never felt down on power so I'm really hoping my car isn't affected, but man I'm gonna be nervous until I can see it for myself to be sure.
Yeah I am pretty sure nearly all of the 2020s will be affected. I have 4,000 miles on mine and have been really aggressive on it lol.
Sponsored