lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
here you go

Yeh, I saw it before, I forgot. Fricking Ford 4 ml and engine is screwed up. Can't imaging owner's feeling about so "spacial" car that need engine replacement. Prob paying mark up on the car as well.

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Have to agree that these failures are not break in related. Totally disagree with the drive it like you stole it crap being hyped here. If that was the correct break in , then Ford would have put it in the manual. The new vette procedure is a good one that makes sense. To each his own.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Have to agree that these failures are not break in related. Totally disagree with the drive it like you stole it crap being hyped here. If that was the correct break in , then Ford would have put it in the manual. The new vette procedure is a good one that makes sense. To each his own.
Agree those with that belief don't give consideration that you have new gears in the transmission and differential that need some miles to get meshed in and seated properly. Have known of some with performance cars (2005 GTO) and other vehicles doing that and miles later complaining of a whine in the differential. Duh!!

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Agree those with that belief don't give consideration that you have new gears in the transmission and differential that need some miles to get meshed in and seated properly. Have known of some with performance cars (2005 GTO) and other vehicles doing that and miles later complaining of a whine in the differential. Duh!!

Yup, a good video is the one with Leno driving the C8 and talking about good break in.

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, break in on the 350 per the owner's supplement is don't do extended WOT for the first 100 miles, and then don't do extended track use until after the first 1,000 miles. So in other words it's pretty much drive it like you stole it.

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Good one, but thats not what it says. I know we all wanna jump on it and have some fun, but it says to wait at LEAST 100 miles
on the first part and again at LEAST 1,000 before track use. I think its pretty clear what they mean.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Well, break in on the 350 per the owner's supplement is don't do extended WOT for the first 100 miles, and then don't do extended track use until after the first 1,000 miles. So in other words it's pretty much drive it like you stole it.
When I was stealing cars I was never able to refrain from abusing them for the first 100 miles. Way too good a chance there was an APB out for the car by then.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
omg - not following that "break-in" suggestions to the letter will not ruin your motor. Anything mass produced will have failures so if you want something that you're almost guaranteed not to have an issues with, buy a 300k dollar Ferrari. -even then you might still have trouble.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I suspect that in a large portion of the engine failures, operator error was the cause. Either people revving the piss out of their cold motors or running low on oil without knowing it. I'm also skeptical of the morons at the dealerships who (yes, I'm saying it) don't have the common sense to torque oil filters correctly (leaks), reinsert a drain plug correctly (leaks) or even add the correct viscosity or quantity of oil to to the car. How many oil/lube techs don't know that the Vodoo motor takes 10 quarts of oil? So right when you leave the dealership you could be starting off 1.5 - 2.0 quarts low. Spin it up to redline and then bam... someone please call a flatbed.

Yesterday, I watched the guy who has the "Rated R Cars" youtube channel check his oil with the dipstick handle angled lower than tip where the oil was dripping down the dipstick. He never wiped the dipstick and then reinserted to get a clean read either. His response was, "yup, oil level looks good". Really? Also, his video documenting his engine issues appeared to be shot after leaving the dealership with a fresh oil change. Coincidence?

How about the people running E85 tunes and superchargers? One bad tune in combination with shitty fuel can lean out the fuel delivery, cause detonation and grenade the motor in a heartbeat before the onboard diagnostics can retard the timing to compensate. Finally, how about the countless test drives before people bought their cars where some ignorant salesperson tells a customer to go ahead and hammer the car to see what she can do.... while the motor is still cold. Did I mention the countless members who state that they never take the car past 2k rpms when the motor is cold or they never take their car past 4k rpms during the break in period.... technically, I'd rather slightly over rev a cold motor than lug the engine. In addition, when you never spin a new engine (like the Voodoo) up past 4k rpms for roughly the first 1000 miles, do you really think your piston rings are thanking you for it?

I'm not saying there isn't a potential defect with these motors but what I am saying is that there are a lot of fucking idiots running around the universe who don't know that they don't know. If we could strip away the idiots who caused their own engine issues and isolate those who know how to drive and take care of this type of vehicle, I bet the engine defects coming out of the factory would be few and far between.
The bolded bit is EXACTLY why it is in Ford's best interest to engineer this car to take the abuse straight from the factory. If the products they build were so fragile that abuse was the result of the engine failures, it would bankrupt them.

There's a very large difference legally in telling people that it's okay to abuse them and recommending a moderate break-in procedure. It's just CYA language. I can all but guarantee you the engineers engineered this vehicle to handle those idiots.

FWIW - I personally know 40+ GT350 owners and about 5 of them have had engine failures. NONE were even close to as rough on engines as me and I am neurotic about getting them nice and warm slowly, oil changes, etc.

Abuse might be responsible for some failures, but it's definitely not the reason for mass failures.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
Honeybadger said:
The bolded bit is EXACTLY why it is in Ford's best interest to engineer this car to take the abuse straight from the factory. If the products they build were so fragile that abuse was the result of the engine failures, it would bankrupt them.

Finally a bit of common sense in this thread........ thanks Kevin!!!!
He is correct. I know this from what I do for a living.

QUOTED POST DISCLAIMER
I was unable to post a quote for some reason...????????
Sponsored