New 2020 GT350 HEP engine failure

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Could someone with an extended service warranty on a GT350/R look up the terms and conditions and check if it's true that Ford won't fix the car if the cost exceeds the market value of the car?

Ford has been placating customers with premature engine failure by offering extended service warranties. But if more engines fail and with the engine discontinued, two things would happen: the price of the car would depreciate faster and the engine price would go higher, rendering the extended warranty useless down the road, when it's needed most. I read somewhere that the long block engine from Ford is almost $27K these days. I'll find out once I get the repair paper for my engine replacement.
Damn son you're angry...not like justifiably angry but illogical, make things up angry. Are you single by chance? I have at least one x-girlfriend that I think you'd be perfect for!

I've never seen so much seemingly angry conjecture in one statement. How about this one for a wild ass guess - "What happens when Ford goes out of business??"

You need some positivity in your life - I can only imagine that this isn't the first time you've heard this. Join a car club - run around, talk shop - when you get your car back and can actually enjoy it (if you know how?!?). Went for a cruise today just because it's New Years Day - had a blast and my timing chain is still there. #youintherebro?
1609544445230.jpeg
Sponsored

Stevbas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
GT 350.
Steve, I'm sorry about what happened to your car. I will fight for a buy back. There is a pattern to these failures: 2020 engines, driven very low mileage, and something in the valve train or timing is failing, causing the entire engine to be replaced. By any definition, these are faulty cars that we paid a lot of money for.

The way Ford is fixing it, i.e. sending you an anonymous engine, with mismatching numbers, and a stigma on your Cafax record, is not fair, especially if you just purchased the car. This is causing an abnormal, steep depreciation of the value of your car. After this happens, if you look at the depreciation graph of your vehicle, there would be a steep dip right after the engine replacement event. The newer the car, the more pronounced this deep as this affects newer cars much worse than cars that have been in ownership for many years and had 10's of thousands of miles on them.

Is it your fault? Why should you bear the consequences for sloppy quality control and fault parts?
I was thinking the same thing after my car seized at 424 miles. It happened at just the beginning of the pandemic. How is it going with the buy back idea ? Are you getting any support from the dealership? Best of luck. I heard that it will take a couple of months . I too was concerned about the depreciation but decided to get the née engine. It took a lot of negotiations to finally receive the warranty from Ford , but ultimately I did get it.

OP
OP

mroad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP
I was thinking the same thing after my car seized at 424 miles. It happened at just the beginning of the pandemic. How is it going with the buy back idea ? Are you getting any support from the dealership? Best of luck. I heard that it will take a couple of months . I too was concerned about the depreciation but decided to get the née engine. It took a lot of negotiations to finally receive the warranty from Ford , but ultimately I did get it.
Buyback is completely through Ford. The dealer is an independent middleman and therefore they wouldn't eat depreciation or tax / fees if a buyback happens. I read a lot about the process from @Cobra Jet postings here. The dealer I'm repairing the car with is separate from the dealer I purchased the car from, which is far away from me but still in CA. The local dealers wanted $10K ADM for the base GT350 HEP. I'm glad I didn't pay any ADM because a buyback wouldn't cover a penny of it.

The dealer I'm repairing with didn't offer me a loaner. He said they're out of them and they're waiting for Ford to authorize a rental car for me, which they never did (two weeks in), even though I told their CSR about it. I'm paying for my own rental car.

I opened a case with Ford customer service and was assigned a regional CSR. The CSR opened a buyback request with the buyback (RAV?) division. I'm not communicating directly with the buyback team; the CSR is relaying the info. The CSR did tell me that the buyback team will consider lemon laws and it will take a month or more, which is in line with @Cobra Jet writeup. The CSR is following up with the dealer service center and internally to expedite the engine shipment and replacement. If I want to keep the car, that's nice. But if I want a buyback, and hitting the lemon law days-in-service limit (which is 30 days in CA) is the only way to convince Ford to buy it back, then expediting the replacement isn't helping my buyback request.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm paying for my own rental car.
most insurance has a 'rental during accident/repairs' rider. Granted I haven't checked the duration limit (2 weeks?) but how is it you people don't have at least one vehicle if not more to choose from in your own stable?

OP
OP

mroad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP
most insurance has a 'rental during accident/repairs' rider. Granted I haven't checked the duration limit (2 weeks?) but how is it you people don't have at least one vehicle if not more to choose from in your own stable?
I don't want to involve my insurance company in this. I have a good rate from them for the GT350, which is 50% lower than what other companies I checked with offered. Insurance companies report claims (including those that don't involve accidents, at-fault, or traffic violations) in a shared platforms that other insurance companies see.

I was getting an online quote from an insurance company and was surprised to find out that it had visibility into a not-at-fault private claim that I filed with my existing carrier for suspension damage to my previous car due to a pot hole. And they're totally separate companies that don't have a common owner.

I want to minimize claims on on my records for two reasons: 1) I don't want the engine replacement to trigger a red flag with my current insurance carrier and lead them to hike the rate on me. 2) I don't want this claim to stay on my record, even when I no longer own the car.

Sponsored

Jago768

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Heritage Shelby GT350, 2021 Ford Bronco Wildtrak(on Res)
The OP is having a tuff go and it, and I truly sympathize. As far as a rental, your insurance will not cover rental for service issues. Even if the OP has 10 other cars he is owed a rental during extended service work. He has been inconvenienced and he continues to be inconvenienced. This is not a Ford thing(no rental) it's a bad dealer thing. The one thing I fear about moving to Las Vegas/Henderson is I hear nothing but negative things about their Ford dealers. Cant wait to have them joy ride in my 350 before the 1k break in, blow it up and blame me lol.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I don't want to involve my insurance company in this. I have a good rate from them for the GT350, which is 50% lower than what other companies I checked with offered. Insurance companies report claims (including those that don't involve accidents, at-fault, or traffic violations) in a shared platforms that other insurance companies see.

I was getting an online quote from an insurance company and was surprised to find out that it had visibility into a not-at-fault private claim that I filed with my existing carrier for suspension damage to my previous car due to a pot hole. And they're totally separate companies that don't have a common owner.

I want to minimize claims on on my records for two reasons: 1) I don't want the engine replacement to trigger a red flag with my current insurance carrier and lead them to hike the rate on me. 2) I don't want this claim to stay on my record, even when I no longer own the car.

Damn man that sucks. I had some issues after I bought my car (right turn signals didn't work and my differential was leaking) the dealer (out of state but close) told me the same thing, that the didn't have any loaners. The salesman prepped a used car and let me use it while it got repaired. I definitely appreciated it.

I feel you about the insurance. I really don't know how its legal that they share information like that. For medical insurance we have HIPAA laws to stop that, don't know why we don't have something similar for car insurance. I had some issues where I've paid out if pocket to keep my premiums low and prevent the information getting reported. Car insurance is such a racket.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Buyback is completely through Ford. The dealer is an independent middleman and therefore they wouldn't eat depreciation or tax / fees if a buyback happens. I read a lot about the process from @Cobra Jet postings here. The dealer I'm repairing the car with is separate from the dealer I purchased the car from, which is far away from me but still in CA. The local dealers wanted $10K ADM for the base GT350 HEP. I'm glad I didn't pay any ADM because a buyback wouldn't cover a penny of it.

The dealer I'm repairing with didn't offer me a loaner. He said they're out of them and they're waiting for Ford to authorize a rental car for me, which they never did (two weeks in), even though I told their CSR about it. I'm paying for my own rental car.

I opened a case with Ford customer service and was assigned a regional CSR. The CSR opened a buyback request with the buyback (RAV?) division. I'm not communicating directly with the buyback team; the CSR is relaying the info. The CSR did tell me that the buyback team will consider lemon laws and it will take a month or more, which is in line with @Cobra Jet writeup. The CSR is following up with the dealer service center and internally to expedite the engine shipment and replacement. If I want to keep the car, that's nice. But if I want a buyback, and hitting the lemon law days-in-service limit (which is 30 days in CA) is the only way to convince Ford to buy it back, then expediting the replacement isn't helping my buyback request.

You’re correct about the ADM. ADM is “excess” cost over MSRP that was strictly a Franchised Dealership “add on”. The vehicle owner can fight with Ford and Ford RAV to try and recoup ADM cost, but may be in for a battle and may need to hire an Attorney.

ADM costs are tacked on by the selling Franchise Dealership and is not a Ford Corporate sponsored “add on”. If it were a true Ford add-on, it would have been printed on the window sticker as a single line item of cost and would be figured into the window sticker MSRP.

@mroad
Since you are paying out of pocket for your loaner car fees, you need to tell your Ford CSR that you need to be reimbursed for all rental car fees, period. The Dealership had others ways to afford you a loaner but did not (in fact, tell the GM there to reference their Ford Warranty Policy Manual regarding affording the Customer a loaner). If your CSR gives you a hard time about the loaner fee reimbursement, ask to speak to their Supervisor.

And just an FYI to anyone who ends up going through a Buy Back process - you never get your Insurance Company involved at all. The Insurance Company has absolutely nothing to do with the process, period - even if the Insured has a “loaner” plan.

OP
OP

mroad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP
@mroad
Since you are paying out of pocket for your loaner car fees, you need to tell your Ford CSR that you need to be reimbursed for all rental car fees, period. The Dealership had others ways to afford you a loaner but did not (in fact, tell the GM there to reference their Ford Warranty Policy Manual regarding affording the Customer a loaner). If your CSR gives you a hard time about the loaner fee reimbursement, ask to speak to their Supervisor.

And just an FYI to anyone who ends up going through a Buy Back process - you never get your Insurance Company involved at all. The Insurance Company has absolutely nothing to do with the process, period - even if the Insured has a “loaner” plan.

WIll do, thank you for all the useful info!

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
don't worry. All the cool kids are doing it (getting replacement engines) so the stigma will go away since "so many" will have the same brand on their histories.
You bought it to keep, to drive and enjoy. its a gorgeous car and you are getting a new motor, not a repaired one.

Sponsored
OP
OP

mroad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP
Providing an update and an opportunity to get a potentially good deal on an almost new 2020 GT350 HEP.

It took more than 30 days from the time I towed it to the dealer to the time it was ready for pickup with a new engine, which is the threshold for Lemon Law in CA. I requested a buyback from Ford and they agreed. I surrendered the car and they paid me out-the-door price minus mileage as defined by CA Lemon law. Ford CSR and RAV have been very polite and professional, and my repurchase experience has been speedy and smooth. Kudos to Ford for that, and thanks again to @Cobra Jet for his information, which helped me throughout the process.

The last four digits of the VIN is 1348 and the chassis number is L0135 (@corrieb take note if you want to update your sheet). I believe the car would be resold as a buyback car with a Lemon title, most likely to a Ford dealer authorized to sell buybacks outside of CA. Aside from the title, I think it could be a very good deal if someone wants to hunt for it.

Here’s what’s going for it:
  1. 738 miles (at time of surrender). Most of them are freeway driving from a distant dealer and to/from the detail shop. Original tires are still in excellent shape.
  2. 24 days in my possession.
  3. Has a new replacement engine with less than 15 miles on it, by the mechanic.
  4. Received $3600 in paint protection, which includes:
    1. Full body paint correction
    2. XPel Ultimate Plus PPF on the front bumper, front side fenders, full hood, headlights, mirrors, rocker panels, lower part of the rear side panels, swing, and the trunk black panel. The side GT350 3D emblems were removed and reattached on top of the PPF for a clean, crisp look.
    3. Ceramic Pro Gold Package, which covers all the car, including the windshield, windows, wheels, plastic parts, and the PPF.
  5. 2020 Shelby GT350 Owner’s Supplement
Since it’s very unlikely the 2020 GT350 Owner’s Supplement will make it to the next owner going through two dealerships, I kept it and will ship it for free to the next owner. If you’re the next buyer of this vehicle, PM me with a copy of the bill of sale that shows the VIN, and provide the name of the dealership where you bought it, name of the salesperson, name of the finance manager, and your mailing address. I will call them to verify the sale and ship the supplement to you for free.

Here's the window sticker, which has the VIN and the options.

windowsticker1024_1.jpg

Chassis plate:

GT350HEP14.jpg

Here's the cause of the failure (dealer report):

GT350HEP12.jpg

Here's the new replacement service engine. They kept the original builder plate. I don’t think they shipped an engine built by that builder. This engine was most likely built by someone else.

GT350HEP13.jpg

The 2020 Shelby GT350 Owner's Supplement for the car.

GT350HEP15.jpg

GT350HEP16.jpg

The car after repair and surrender, ready for the next owner.

GT350HEP17.jpg

I bought a new car cover (FR3Z-19A412-F) for it that is brand new in box, not opened yet. I tried to return it to the Ford dealer but they said it was a special order and it cannot be returned. I will post it in the classified section of this forum and offer it for a good price.

https://accessories.ford.com/kit-11336.html

Stevbas

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
GT 350.
That’s incredible detail. Congratulations on getting your refund. I just had the XPel Ultimate PPF completed on my car. What are your plans for your next car ? Are you going to look forward another or switching to something else ? Best of luck to you.

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
Sorry again this happened to you and great follow up and concern to get the supplement kit to the new owner. Kudos

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Have you decided what your going to buy in its place?

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Providing an update and an opportunity to get a potentially good deal on an almost new 2020 GT350 HEP.
A completely unnecessary and selfless thing to do, especially after the some of the responses here. Your attitude is nice to see.
Sponsored