Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Thoughts on the new Steeda Differential Cooler kit they just released? Worth it or no (better to build custom?)? Seems quite pricey.
Sponsored

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Thoughts on the new Steeda Differential Cooler kit they just released? Worth it or no (better to build custom?)? Seems quite pricey.
They gave me their BoM ages ago when I asked. I guess the good thing is folks don't need to make their own hoses

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Some assembly required…

image000000.jpeg

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Build it yourself. all the stuff you need in the DIY section. and you will have 5 to 7 hundred bucks to spend on something else

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Build it yourself. all the stuff you need in the DIY section. and you will have 5 to 7 hundred bucks to spend on something else
Might put that on hold. I need to focus on transmission and engine cooling. Home from track day and Head temps reached 223* with trans temp reaching 252*...

Sponsored

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Don't worry about cylinder head temps. What were your coolant temps? I would also focus more on the trans cooling than the diff cooling at this stage. I've seen even the new Dark Horse and Mach 1 cars overheating the transmissions on track even with their enhanced cooling packages.

Last edited:

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Don't worry about cylinder head temps. What were your coolant temps?
Unsure, V6 has no reading for those, just the little "green/red" analog needle...that stayed near/above the middle. I assume that was fine?

More worried about my tranny I think

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
If coolant temps were in the green then you have nothing to worry about there. Interesting the car gives you cylinder head temps (which is really not a very useful data point), but can't give you coolant temps.

Preventative work is great, but don't spend thousands on protection for things that aren't a problem yet. Have you hit limp mode due to transmission temps on track yet?

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
If coolant temps were in the green then you have nothing to worry about there. Interesting the car gives you cylinder head temps (which is really not a very useful data point), but can't give you coolant temps.

Preventative work is great, but don't spend thousands on protection for things that aren't a problem yet. Have you hit limp mode due to transmission temps on track yet?
Never hit limp mode! Just me being concerned not wanting to kill my 6r80. Am I being overboard?
(But I did spin out this session for the record so I need more seat time. Next two events are autocross. I want to learn better control before hitting the 3-mile course in September.)

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
The stupid passenger armrest broke last event from having bodies thrown into it repeatedly for so many years. I filled the eBay junkyard replacement with foam hoping to avoid a repeat failure…

IMG_1094.jpeg

IMG_1097.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
A little update on my (re)build.

I'm learning more than I cared to learn about Mustang wiring harnesses.

There's a big floor harness which runs down both sides of the car and includes the interior fuse box. This harness runs some of the airbags and also the fuel pumps. (bottom of pic)

The dash harnesses are different. My PP1 was a Premium and this 350 was a base. The 350 gauges are a little different. oil pressure and temp instead of the PP1 oil pressure and vacuum. The tach goes to 8250. The GT doesn't quite have the hardware to just snap in that Heads-up LED panel, the front part of the dash is slightly custom to the GT350 (doh!).

I'm waiting on some miscellaneous Ford, Ford Performance parts to arrive before we begin the real work. Boundary oil pump gears are here. MGW shifter is here. GT350R cam phasers, motor mounts, fresh radiator, and the driveshaft have not shipped yet.

I also need to sort out how I'm going to do an oil cooler.. Probably will do a Setrab in front of the radiator since my GT wasn't really built for a GT350 stock oil cooler. The bracket might mount up but the GT facial and fender liners were not intended to have airflow through there. I need to investigate the oil pressure and oil temp senders more closely. I only glanced at that part of the block.

I wonder how the GT350 stock headers, aftermarket X pipe (no resonators) will sound when paired with a Corsa Touring mufflers. probably pretty good, but I don't really know what to expect as far as volume goes. It should be louder than my GT (stock midpipe and same Corsa mufflers), hopefully it won't be too loud. I'm expecting GT350R with active exhaust on quiet.

IMG_6618.jpg

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Another “tuning a Verus wing without front aero” update: Gt350r springs. A 38mm bmr front swaybar on soft, a Strano rear bar on full stiff, and the car flies at 5 deg AoA and is piggy/understeery at 7 deg AoA.

it’s hard to really “eyeball” results because the whole playing field is a moving target, but I think the wing was worth about 0.5 sec on a 60 sec course.

I think I need to replace that giant rubber bushing in the front suspension because I get a lot of front tire rumble at the limit, and I could also see an argument to increase rear swaybar further and compensate with more wing.

here is the middle of a run with put me 5th overall on street tire raw time at a 60 person event. Probably 2nd or 3rd for pax if you did the math, but this club doesn’t do PAX. My gps receiver was misbehaving and solostorm felt the best course of action was to stop recording.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
A little update on my (re)build.

I'm learning more than I cared to learn about Mustang wiring harnesses.

There's a big floor harness which runs down both sides of the car and includes the interior fuse box. This harness runs some of the airbags and also the fuel pumps. (bottom of pic)

The dash harnesses are different. My PP1 was a Premium and this 350 was a base. The 350 gauges are a little different. oil pressure and temp instead of the PP1 oil pressure and vacuum. The tach goes to 8250. The GT doesn't quite have the hardware to just snap in that Heads-up LED panel, the front part of the dash is slightly custom to the GT350 (doh!).

I'm waiting on some miscellaneous Ford, Ford Performance parts to arrive before we begin the real work. Boundary oil pump gears are here. MGW shifter is here. GT350R cam phasers, motor mounts, fresh radiator, and the driveshaft have not shipped yet.

I also need to sort out how I'm going to do an oil cooler.. Probably will do a Setrab in front of the radiator since my GT wasn't really built for a GT350 stock oil cooler. The bracket might mount up but the GT facial and fender liners were not intended to have airflow through there. I need to investigate the oil pressure and oil temp senders more closely. I only glanced at that part of the block.

I wonder how the GT350 stock headers, aftermarket X pipe (no resonators) will sound when paired with a Corsa Touring mufflers. probably pretty good, but I don't really know what to expect as far as volume goes. It should be louder than my GT (stock midpipe and same Corsa mufflers), hopefully it won't be too loud. I'm expecting GT350R with active exhaust on quiet.

IMG_6618.jpg
My two cents on the exhaust, the stock GT350 exhaust is the best sounding exhaust you can ask for on that motor. Everything else I've ever heard, including the setup you are considering, is obnoxious to the point it hurts ears. And I've not sound metered one, but I suspect you are going to be blowing sound with that set up.

The fender liners, I think you could cut out a square in the fender liner, then place a mesh that would protect the intercooler and allow airflow. That is my plan for the fender vents I've yet to install. Then your only issue is do you keep the fog lights or come up with something else to get air to the oil cooler?

I assume you doing the trans cooler right away too? It's basically a mirror image mount on the passenger side.

Do you have a build thread started on this? I might have missed it. *EDIT - I found it. Following.

Last edited:

CobaltFilly

Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
First Name
Davis
Vehicle(s)
2016 3.7L V6 Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
My two cents on the exhaust, the stock GT350 exhaust is the best sounding exhaust you can ask for on that motor. Everything else I've ever heard, including the setup you are considering, is obnoxious to the point it hurts ears. And I've not sound metered one, but I suspect you are going to be blowing sound with that set up.
+1 to best sounding exhaust.
+10 to you will blow sound if you use that setup.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Another “tuning a Verus wing without front aero” update: Gt350r springs. A 38mm bmr front swaybar on soft, a Strano rear bar on full stiff, and the car flies at 5 deg AoA and is piggy/understeery at 7 deg AoA.
Interesting. With the my setup

Steeda Dual Rate Magneride springs
Steeda Comp front bar on 2 of 4 (2nd softest)
Steeda Comp rear bar on 1 of 4 (softest)
6" front splitter with GT500 style splitter fences
Verus Rear wing at Max AOA

Car at yesterday's event was gripped up at the point where I can basically drive it with the throttle and it will just start to slide. Unfortunately forgot the Go-Pro yesterday so no footage which is a real shame as I was testing a new and upgraded DSC unit without the Steeda calibrations for the first time. Car still feels soft and underdamped at the front, but that may also be the Steeda front springs causing that too.

So many variables and so little time. Need a test and tune day to go out and really play with swaybar settings on the same day and play some with valving.

Really considering moving to the AJ spring setup and GT500/GT350R dampers in the offseason.
Sponsored