Sponsored

SCCA CAM-C Thread

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Those don't look bad...comfortable? Pics in car?
my fat/lard ass doesn't fit !! :( I need to lose 100lbs.
It was a long shot to begin with but fellow forum honey does. They would look smashing in her Kona blue car, to go with bronze/gold wheels.
Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Here's a list of things I've thought would be places to lose weight. It's an incomplete list and my weights might be off, but it gets the conversation started.

Item Description _______________________Weight Savings
Driver's seat .......................................................................................... 25#
Passenger seat.................................................................................... 25#
Exhaust...................................................................................................... 35#
Forged Wheels..................................................................................... 20# (over M600 spin-forged)
Flywheel and Clutch........................................................................ 20#
Aluminum Diff housing.................................................................. 25#
TracLoc vs. torsen............................................................................. 5#
Li Battery.................................................................................................. 25# (present battery is in trunk)
2 piece brake discs in GT sizes................................................ 11# (disappointing, but has proper venting)
Front crash bar................................................................................... 8#
Rear crash bar.................................................................................... 12#
1 piece AL driveshaft....................................................................... 15#
Carbon hood/no insulation...................................................... 15#
Rear seat removal w/ cover..................................................... 30#
Remove Eco balance shaft....................................................... 10#
composite trunk lid......................................................................... 10#
AAD camber arms........................................................................... 5#
Tubular K-member......................................................................... 20#
CVF downpipe.................................................................................... 4.4#
Stock to CVF Street intercooler............................................... added 14.4#

That gets you somewhere in the neighborhood of 300# off the car and it's all reasonably doable, but it depends on whether you want to do what it takes to get there. I'll be adding a meth kit in not too long, which adds weight. All my bushings are lighter than stock, so that goes in my direction. Most of the other stuff I've changed has reduced weight marginally here and there, but that's not enough to offset the chassis bracing I've put on the front and rear of the car. When I've got my stock wheels and exhaust on the car, I'm probably about the same weight as when it was delivered, but with the battery in the back, weight distribution has improved.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Well, I had my first autocross since graduating to CAM. I ended up about 1.1 seconds back from FTD on a 60 second course. It was actually SNOWING at times, anyone not on Yokos had no chance of success including sticker A7s.

Here is one of my runs where the snow starts to pick up after ~30 seconds:
220220417 BMWCCA Sleet Autocross - YouTube
Something I have never experienced before and hope to never experience again.

And my fastest afternoon run:
220220417 BMWCCA Dana Fastest Afternoon - YouTube

I'm running 18x11 apex wheels, 275 yokos, GT350R springs, -4 front, -2 rear camber, a 35mm BMR front bar on full stiff and the Strano rear bar on full soft. The setup works, and I look forward to wider tires and reasonable temperatures to form a stronger opinion on the setup and consider any fine-tuning. I doubt it can catch AS in a fair fight, but it's a heck of a lot more satisfying to drive than the FS setup.

Random candid photo of me being very, very cold. I should have packed my ski clothes.:

Cropped.jpg

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Well, I had my first autocross since graduating to CAM. I ended up about 1.1 seconds back from FTD on a 60 second course. It was actually SNOWING at times, anyone not on Yokos had no chance of success including sticker A7s.

Here is one of my runs where the snow starts to pick up after ~30 seconds:
220220417 BMWCCA Sleet Autocross - YouTube
Something I have never experienced before and hope to never experience again.

And my fastest afternoon run:
220220417 BMWCCA Dana Fastest Afternoon - YouTube

I'm running 18x11 apex wheels, 275 yokos, GT350R springs, -4 front, -2 rear camber, a 35mm BMR front bar on full stiff and the Strano rear bar on full soft. The setup works, and I look forward to wider tires and reasonable temperatures to form a stronger opinion on the setup and consider any fine-tuning. I doubt it can catch AS in a fair fight, but it's a heck of a lot more satisfying to drive than the FS setup.

Random candid photo of me being very, very cold. I should have packed my ski clothes.:

Cropped.jpg
Very nice. You look much smoother than me! The course sure seemed grippier than I would expect at that temp.

One thing I noticed, your throttle gauge (Or whatever you want to call it) only ever showed 89%. It might just be a minor calibration issue, or, you could have 11% more to give!

Sponsored

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Well, I had my first autocross since graduating to CAM. I ended up about 1.1 seconds back from... doubt it can catch AS in a fair fight, but it's a heck of a lot more satisfying to drive than the FS setup.
It looked like a lot easier & more fun to drive than your previous Street setup.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Welp...tried a set of factory Recaros...and didn't fit well due to rather large (muscular) frame. I have a combination of short torso and wide/thick lats.

Sigh..now I'm on a mission to figure out what seat I can actually fit.

Or I just diet and lose 30 lbs but I'll still be wider than average.

Ugh. Cloth base seats even with quick-fit just isn't optimal.

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman, 2023 Lighning
Here's a list of things I've thought would be places to lose weight. It's an incomplete list and my weights might be off, but it gets the conversation started.

Item Description _______________________Weight Savings
Driver's seat .......................................................................................... 25#
Passenger seat.................................................................................... 25#
Exhaust...................................................................................................... 35#
Forged Wheels..................................................................................... 20# (over M600 spin-forged)
Flywheel and Clutch........................................................................ 20#
Aluminum Diff housing.................................................................. 25#
TracLoc vs. torsen............................................................................. 5#
Li Battery.................................................................................................. 25# (present battery is in trunk)
2 piece brake discs in GT sizes................................................ 11# (disappointing, but has proper venting)
Front crash bar................................................................................... 8#
Rear crash bar.................................................................................... 12#
1 piece AL driveshaft....................................................................... 15#
Carbon hood/no insulation...................................................... 15#
Rear seat removal w/ cover..................................................... 30#
Remove Eco balance shaft....................................................... 10#
composite trunk lid......................................................................... 10#
AAD camber arms........................................................................... 5#
Tubular K-member......................................................................... 20#
CVF downpipe.................................................................................... 4.4#
Stock to CVF Street intercooler............................................... added 14.4#

That gets you somewhere in the neighborhood of 300# off the car and it's all reasonably doable, but it depends on whether you want to do what it takes to get there. I'll be adding a meth kit in not too long, which adds weight. All my bushings are lighter than stock, so that goes in my direction. Most of the other stuff I've changed has reduced weight marginally here and there, but that's not enough to offset the chassis bracing I've put on the front and rear of the car. When I've got my stock wheels and exhaust on the car, I'm probably about the same weight as when it was delivered, but with the battery in the back, weight distribution has improved.
My spreadsheet looks like after the seats, I'll be at about 145lbs off. The sheet is kind of a mess right now. The rows I have an x in is what I've actually done and the calculation is applied. Forgot to finish applying the #'s for the fender liners which were 6 lbs. That puts it at 3443. Ballpark, as I've not added weight for the heavier parts I've added, which are likely, just the sway bars. I doubt the pedders weigh more, and quite likely weigh less, at least on the front.

The Wilwoods, are going to be too tantalizing at that much weight off. Just waiting for my deposit back from the place I just moved out of. Then, I think it's just working on the nut behind the wheel until the Pedders fall apart.

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/B...e=Ford&model=Mustang&option=GT+(except+GT350)

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/B...e=Ford&model=Mustang&option=GT+(except+GT350)

I'd get the Vented set, I imagine. That would put me into the 3300's. $1385 at Lethal Performance.
Although, you can get the calipers in custom colors if you get them from Wilwood. (Competition Orange calipers... sigh.)

I realize that those weights probably don't include the pads on that, unless they are included in the caliper weight.

weights.jpg

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
3450 is nothing to sneeze at. If you can get there, you're doing good. The next 150# to get to CAM-C minimum is another matter. That would take a concerted effort.

You're not autocrossing, though, right?

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3450 is nothing to sneeze at. If you can get there, you're doing good. The next 150# to get to CAM-C minimum is another matter. That would take a concerted effort.

You're not autocrossing, though, right?
I am. Had my first test and tune a couple weeks ago with NightmareMoon. We're in the same club. Have an event this weekend, and am signed up for the South Texas tour. I've been out since Nats in 2015, so I'm keeping my expectations low.

It looks like, if I throw another $1500 at it, I can get to 3390. The next 90, would get progressively more difficult, I think, but remember, I started with a base. I haven't had time to look at any of the ABS stuff people are talking about. I'm lazy, so easy things first. I have to change pads anyway, so that makes me lean towards doing the front brakes. Requires new braided lines as well.

Last edited:

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I am. Had my first test and tune a couple weeks ago with NightmareMoon. We're in the same club. Have an event this weekend, and am signed up for the South Texas tour.

It looks like, if I throw another $1500 at it, I can get to 3390. The next 90, would get progressively more difficult, I think, but remember, I started with a base.
May have missed it earlier - but have you weighed your car on an accurate scale ? Getting down to 33xx lb seems hard to believe with GT without some extreme measures. My car with almost same mods, lighter battery and fender liners still is barely under 3700 lb.

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
May have missed it earlier - but have you weighed your car on an accurate scale ? Getting down to 33xx lb seems hard to believe with GT without some extreme measures. My car with almost same mods, lighter battery and fender liners still is barely under 3700 lb.
lol, don't mean to be an azz, but I've mentioned several times, this car started as a 2015 base, and was 3595 bone stock(Terry Fair's shop Intercomps). That's how... Youse guys and all your doo dads... lol. Hey, I have to squint at the rear camera. That sucks.

This is my car(note paper plates), and garage, for that matter, Terry had just bought my 99' 328i for a shop WRL racecar and hauled the Magnaflow to me and took the bimmer:

https://photos.smugmug.com/Projects...-S550/i-HMPrJsV/0/23ceb627/X3/IMG_0528-X3.jpg

looks a little different, but pretty much the same now...

IMG_5442.JPG

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I am. Had my first test and tune a couple weeks ago with NightmareMoon.
In that case, I'd be careful about putting drag brakes on the car. I don't think the 6-piston calipers are necessarily required, because the base GT brakes are pretty good. But, I don't think drag brakes would be a positive. I could be wrong...I've never tried them...but you should be aware that it's a gamble.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
On paper I think I could get my GT PP from its current ~3715to <3400 with like $10-15k in parts (not including labor). Carbon doors, carbon decklid, composite rear window... AC delete...

That last 90lbs is going to hurt tho. Would need some surgery behind the dash.. Electronics deletes... I kinda like driving my car. AC and electronics deletes would definitely negatively impact my desire to use the car for anything OTHER than autox.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
On paper I think I could get my GT PP from its current ~3715to <3400 with like $10-15k in parts (not including labor). Carbon doors, carbon decklid, composite rear window... AC delete...

That last 90lbs is going to hurt tho. Would need some surgery behind the dash.. Electronics deletes... I kinda like driving my car. AC and electronics deletes would definitely negatively impact my desire to use the car for anything OTHER than autox.
Exactly where I am in thinking too.
Sponsored