SCCA CAM-C Thread

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
My aero project was somewhat successful other than trying to tear it off as I backed out of my driveway. I used some quick diconnects from Professional Awesome. Spoiler is Lexan. I had a snafu with Solostorm and data so I can't quantify the actual "gain" from the aero.

157CAMC2small.jpg
Sponsored

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My aero project was somewhat successful other than trying to tear it off as I backed out of my driveway. I used some quick diconnects from Professional Awesome. Spoiler is Lexan. I had a snafu with Solostorm and data so I can't quantify the actual "gain" from the aero.

157CAMC2small.jpg
I've not looked at results, how did you do Sunday?

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I've not looked at results, how did you do Sunday?
Not as well as I wanted. 32nd out of 189. We are still testing things.

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Cayman, 2023 Lighning
So... guess I'm all the way in. Ordered seats today, and registered for the Beeville Tour. Test and tune this weekend, and a club event the weekend before the tour.

It will be interesting to see what a pretty stripped, 2015 base with race battery, rear seat delete, race seats, and a magnaflow comp exhaust weighs. I have through the years pulled a lot of noise dampening, and plastic out. Probably not more than 20 lbs, though. It's definitely not a daily for anyone but a masochist. still no aero yet. Still in the thinking about it stage.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So... guess I'm all the way in. Ordered seats today, and registered for the Beeville Tour. Test and tune this weekend, and a club event the weekend before the tour.

It will be interesting to see what a pretty stripped, 2015 base with race battery, rear seat delete, race seats, and a magnaflow comp exhaust weighs. I have through the years pulled a lot of noise dampening, and plastic out. Probably not more than 20 lbs, though. It's definitely not a daily for anyone but a masochist. still no aero yet. Still in the thinking about it stage.
A guy here in Houston has his pretty stripped, and I think he's still about ~3500. He hasn't posted an update lately. Airbags gone, carpets gone, plastic gone, wheel liners gone, lexan windows....

Sponsored

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Went to the test and tune in austin, and the car was a lot of fun. Considering the last time I ran it, it was on eibach sportlines and stock shocks, and new-to-me (dead) 275/19’s it was an entirely different car. It stuck pretty well and I’ll hang my hat on one, one cone run that was about a second off being competitive. They have me listed with a very competitive run for my first, but I’m pretty sure it’s incorrect as they were having issues with timing. Makes a nice fish story, though.

Got to ride in Nightmaremoon’s car, and he rode in mine, so I got a feel for what a more fully prepped car feels like, as well. Gotta decide on just how poor I want to be and how dirty, and s#/¥, or get off the pot on suspension and bushings replacement. I did get the rear seat delete done and took out about 39lbs on a pretty, unscientific, body scale, and put back in about 10lbs.

***also got seats re-ordered. The Corbeau's from americanmuscle were going to take too long, so I picked up some sparco Evo's from e-bay instead. Should have them in a week or so. I'm experimenting with side mounts vs bases, to see what works best or works at all.

Last edited:

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A guy here in Houston has his pretty stripped, and I think he's still about ~3500. He hasn't posted an update lately. Airbags gone, carpets gone, plastic gone, wheel liners gone, lexan windows....
Was his a performance pack ? I think in 15', the difference appeared to be around 150lbs starting out. I still have my carpet, front wheel liners are gone. Lexan windows adds 150lbs to your minimum weight, if I remember correctly ? That bumps his min weight to 3450. I'd guess I'm right around there now. Isn't that what Colin Chapman said ? "Add lightness, to make up for your crappy driving."

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I have a hard time believing you are at 3450. Unless your car is not a GT. I mean if you're right that's a helluva undertaking.

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a hard time believing you are at 3450. Unless your car is not a GT. I mean if you're right that's a helluva undertaking.
It’s a bit of a guess, and it doesn’t include heavier parts I’ve added, like sway bars. We’ll know after the Beeville tour.

Terry Fair weighed it at 3595 when brand new, and I’ve subtracted from that, from the “what things weigh” thread. I have a spreadsheet with OEM vs replacement part tracking most of it.

I Haven’t accounted for the adddition of the Eibach front and rear bars, the Pedder coilovers/camber plates, and the Ford Performance front hubs with the ARP studs. But also haven’t subtracted the wheel well covers. Not sure why, I have a new set. (the front fender liners are 6 lbs together)

The braille battery, rear seat delete, seats, and magnaflow, are 129 lbs on their own, and the majority of the weight.

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I'm of the opinion that if you want to win CAM at a National level, this is where it hides. Getting a car to minimum weight, and having the weight that's there distributed in a reasonable manner, would be a very big deal.

Sponsored

murphyslaww

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm of the opinion that if you want to win CAM at a National level, this is where it hides. Getting a car to minimum weight, and having the weight that's there distributed in a reasonable manner, would be a very big deal.
I'm taking a hard look at the Wilwood Drag front brake setup as well. It would be useless on track, but for autocross, should be enough, and could be another 50lbs, some of it unsprung and rotating weight, off the front.

It's all throwing $$$ at it. If you want to know, the best $/lb is the rear seat delete @ $10.50/lb, next the Braille @ 18.39/lb. The Seats are $35/lb but I could have done better with Corbeau's, almost twice as good. The Wilwoods, look like they would be around $27/lb.

Last edited:

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Was his a performance pack ? I think in 15', the difference appeared to be around 150lbs starting out. I still have my carpet, front wheel liners are gone. Lexan windows adds 150lbs to your minimum weight, if I remember correctly ? That bumps his min weight to 3450. I'd guess I'm right around there now. Isn't that what Colin Chapman said ? "Add lightness, to make up for your crappy driving."
If I were you, I would invest in a good scale. Heck, I am not even close to that weight, and I am looking at them just for weight distribution.

Have you pulled the ABS unit yet? If you have, I would love the information on how you did it. There is another thread on here about someone looking into it. I think its like 20 or 30 lbs, which is huge, especially on the drivers side.

The reality is, in order to win, I generally agree with TeeLew. Get as light as possible, then add ballast in strategic places to really balance the car. But if one were really serious, they would start with the ecoboost (In my opinion).

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You've seen Fletchers/Sutton's Mustang, right? That thing is stripped, and last I saw they were still above 3500 still.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
You've seen Fletchers/Sutton's Mustang, right? That thing is stripped, and last I saw they were still above 3500 still.
Yessir. Bare bones.

I'm not willing to lose the "daily" aspect of my car.

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Just found this thread.

Started my journey in CAM-C.

I did go to the Starting Line day on April 2nd. I learned a lot about the car, and of course Eric was my instructor for the 12 runs. Eric drove my car for two runs and really showed me how to drive it. My best time was 49.8.

I will be at the next event at HPA in May.
Sponsored