Sponsored

Mc 5w20, Ford Engine, Oil Aeration study for you, piston heads (BBQ Tick related)

careature

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 2017 pp
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/0270/899b3d94e43389f53d451e4fb00cfe32e5c4.pdf

What's interesting:

1.1.3.1 Journal Bearings

Models have been developed which predict that highly aerated oil increases effective oil viscosity due to the surface tension of the air bubbles [12]. These models have been verified with experimental findings [13]. Utilizing this information, additional models have been created which predict that aeration increases the load carrying capacity of journal bearings by a factor of two [12]. Yet, experimental investigation suggests that oil aeration reduces the load capacity of journal bearings [14]. However, this finding is not yet considered to be conclusive and additional testing is needed. Although it is clear that the effective viscosity increases with aeration, the effect of this increase is not clear.
The study itself is not directly related to bbq tick, but if bbq tick is related to oil aeration - this article is a good read to understand the issue.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I don't think the BBQ tick is caused by oil aeration.

Why would the Coyote cause any more oil aeration than any other motor? And if the design did cause oil aeration, why wouldn't Ford have figured it out by now and change what's causing aeration?

OP
OP

careature

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 2017 pp

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'm sure Ford knows what causes it, and that's why they will typically authorize a new short block without a teardown of the ticking engine.

If it was just oil aeration, Ford would just put out a SSM or TSB saying it's "normal and harmless".

It's somerhing in the bottom end, that's why Ford replaces short blocks. I still think it's excessive rod side clearance, and that's why certain additives like CeracTec, or certain oil formulations change or eliminate the tick.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-excessive-is-this-rod.108361/

OP
OP

careature

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 2017 pp
I'm sure Ford knows what causes it, and that's why they will typically authorize a new short block without a teardown of the ticking engine.

If it was just oil aeration, Ford would just put out a SSM or TSB saying it's "normal and harmless".

It's somerhing in the bottom end, that's why Ford replaces short blocks. I still think it's excessive rod side clearance, and that's why certain additives like CeracTec, or certain oil formulations change or eliminate the tick.
you did no go through the thread I posted above.
Sponsored