honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Update. Got a call and the heads are being 2nd-day aired back to RGR for clean up and to be put on the flow-bench. Seriously top notch customer service from Aaron and the rest of the crew. This is awesome and definitely relieves a lot of stress.
Sponsored

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
Editing this post so everyone keeps the pitch forks at bay. JPC/RGR are taking care of everything.

Got the heads back from RGR last night. Some surprises.

Heads were decked and polished. The valves look mighty purrdy.
IMG_6130.jpg

Nice and clean exhaust ports and mating surface.
IMG_6123.jpg

New PAC Racing valve springs and Ti retainers are in
IMG_6133.jpg

IMG_6127.jpg

Peak at the bronze guides
IMG_6128.jpg

New FP valves I mentioned earlier in the thread
IMG_6135.jpg

Now to the surprises. First, combustion chamber wasn't smoothed/machined. It was polished, but still retains the factory CNC ridges.
IMG_6129.jpg

Inconsistency in the ports between heads (specifically on the bottom).
IMG_6106.jpg
IMG_6107.jpg

When I spoke to JPC/RGR they said it's because the CNC program is set to "port" to specific tolerance and these areas exceeded the tolerance (read: shitty OEM tolerances were too off). That's all fine, but I would have expected clean up by hand after. Exhaust ports on the same head are similar.

Lastly (and most concerning), I was also surprised to see that the heads weren't thoroughly de-burred. The little metal ridge below is similar across all 16 head bolt seat areas. This is how they come from the factory...but I would have expected these to be de-burred. Not super into the idea of putting this on a recently re-built short block.
IMG_6110.jpg

Sigh...not entirely sure on the path forward. My gut tells me I should de-burr those and leave the rest alone until Tim at MPR gets my entire long block for a refresh in the future. Thoughts? If agreed on de-burring, recommendations on tools/methods?

I expected a bit more for ~$4,500. No blueprinting documentation/flow numbers were included either. Ugh.

Thanks, ya'll!
I am so fucking tired of every aftermarket business (whether it’s suspension, engine, drivetrain, interior, etc) always saying how bad oem tolerances are.
News flash!
I worked in tool and die for 15 years as a journeyman. And I’m here to tell you our tolerances are WAY higher then any aftermarket shit.
I can buy any oem part and it’s going to fit my car as designed. Now if I go buy 2 roll bars for example and install each one in my car, both will fit differently. That goes with all aftermarket parts.

Stop blaming the oem for your shitty ass workmanship. No aftermarket has the funds or resources as the car manufacturers do.

Sorry, but to say their cnc program only does this or that and to blame the shitty port work on the oem cnc head work is LAME!
That head port smoothing is done by hand. Not cnc.

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
That’s why most of these places are fly by night. I’ve been doing this for over 30 years. I’m sorry you’re experiencing it now. Nothing’s changed in all these years with some of these shops.

Some shops don’t even do their work. They just advertise and take the credit. That is until something goes wrong then rhey blame the actual one doing the work.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Update. Got a call and the heads are being 2nd-day aired back to RGR for clean up and to be put on the flow-bench. Seriously top notch customer service from Aaron and the rest of the crew. This is awesome and definitely relieves a lot of stress.
That is the right thing to do. I wonder if you posting it here had anything to do with it...

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
That is the right thing to do. I wonder if you posting it here had anything to do with it...
Definitely wasn't my intention. When I spoke to them before I left the conversation mostly thinking I should have asked more questions before sending the heads out. No bad feelings.

Very grateful for the their Swift action and excellent customer service.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
That's awesome assuming you're both on the same page for what needs to be done....:lipssealed:

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
When I built my Boss motor, starting from a bare block... I was surprised at how much machining was lift "dirty" and I did get a small file to knock everything off prior to assembly.

coyoteblock-047.jpg
Damn that's scary stuff to see. I'm convinced this is the type of thing that went through my oil pump gear.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Just got a special delivery. Everything looks absolutely perfect. Will post high res photos tonight after work. Totally drooling right now.

20190401_143129.jpg

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I always LOVE seeing pretty and expensive engine guts, that soon will never see the light of day again.... :inlove:

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Ahhh screw it. Meeting moved and I ran out to grab a few shots. Work is very well done and the parts sure are purddy. Can't wait to put it through hell :)

The Callie I-Beam Billet Connecting rods look stout as sh**

IMG_6140.jpg

Very clean

IMG_6141.jpg

Nice long-skirt Custom Diamond pistons.
IMG_6143.jpg

Some machine work on the crank
IMG_6146.jpg

IMG_6147.jpg

So beautiful!
IMG_6148.jpg

IMG_6150.jpg

Tons of little areas where burrs were removed :)
IMG_6149.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I always LOVE seeing pretty and expensive engine guts, that soon will never see the light of day again.... :inlove:
Definitely been drooling over them. Can't wait to get it back together and put the power down!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Engine envy! When I have more free time in a few months (and more money), I plan to seek out a junkyard voodoo and do what you are doing. Impressive.
Sponsored