Sponsored

Crankshaft snout snapped

VTR16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 400A PP MT82
Alex responded and told me to just reach out to them on Facebook.
Sponsored

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
LOL
Makes me just want give it all up ...or as Madcow suggested use the 4.6/ 5.4 blocks if you want to make big power reliably
Glad to know my cries arent falling on deaf ears out there . Reliability is similar when built except for the cylinder bores. Stock bore mod motors will take 1500hp with no sleeves or block filler. I got a 4.6 swap fox I really need to work on and practice what i preach.

Excel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT and 2015 F150
I will admit, this quote about made my spit out my coffee. :) HAHAHAHA

Sadly I will say this again adds to my quote... "The only failed cranks I ever see, have aftermarket balancers"

So many ProCharger guys making HUGE power with our stock add on crank pulley.
I have yet to see a single broken crank with that set up, for years...

hardcore racers buy small block cranks with big block snouts,thats not an option yet for the 5.0

I have a stock unit on my car,now I know for sure im not buying an aftermarket unit but I do run ATIs on our BBC drag engines
and have bought a dozen over the years as I build my own drag engines and no issues ever and pretty much every chevy engine builder uses ATI stuff

My guess is the Ford 5.0 crank is a weak POS and or the ATI model is not balanced 100% true? Its worth checking.
I am surprised no one mentioned the MMR unit,its cheaper , anyone snap a snout off using one of those ?

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
People have snapped snouts with the MMR, ATI and Innovators West balancers. The coyote snout is 1.250 dia and there is no fillet radius as it's undercut, I think most of the problems are due to an installation error. Either the balancer was not bottomed out and seated properly or the bolt broke or backed off, use of an ARP bolt and Loctite are a must. The whole story is never told after a failure then the truth comes out that they re used the factory torque to yield bolt or the bolt backed out.

Copley17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
People have snapped snouts with the MMR, ATI and Innovators West balancers. The coyote snout is 1.250 dia and there is no fillet radius as it's undercut, I think most of the problems are due to an installation error. Either the balancer was not bottomed out and seated properly or the bolt broke or backed off, use of an ARP bolt and Loctite are a must. The whole story is never told after a failure then the truth comes out that they re used the factory torque to yield bolt or the bolt backed out.
I think another install issue is that people are not checking for the proper interference fit. Even measuring the fit (8-12 tenths of a thou) takes specific tools (micrometer, snap gauges, and/or small dia bore gauge), and they can't be cheap for this tight of a tolerance (wouldn't trust anything less than the Mitutoyo variety or better). Add to that, experience is needed with these tools to use them repeatably, the average home mechanic ins't going to take them out of the box and be an expert on them, they take a "touch" to measure even +/-0.0002.

Then to accurately hone the damper, you need to find a shop with a Sunnen that knows how to use it down to the tenth.

I would say most installers skip the above steps, leading to "troubles" installing the damper causing people to heat the hub and/or use excessive force to install.

Sponsored

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
Another typical install issue is the usage of a long bolt to pull on the damper. Not a good method anyway, but the installer also has to stop tightening the bolt at some point before it bottoms out, then switch to the shorter bolt to pull the damper on all the way. I wonder how often they bottom out the bolt, then overtighten it before realizing it has bottomed out, possibly causing damage to the snout from inside where the threads end.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
@ProChargerTECH do you have any long term reliability data on the GT350 systems (any failures, testing, etc.)? They require installing the innovators west balancer, so just wondering if there have been similar issues to coyotes with ATI balancers.
I have personally seen "0" failures on the GT350 of any sort. (based on tech calls here, and searching the net)
Heck I have installed 5 of them in my garage alone actually LOL.

Not saying there isn't one, but just saying I haven't seen it.

Wow, sorry to see that oloasunt. Reading through this thread, I see people posting how tight and hard it is to get the ati dampner on. I heated the ATI center section with a heat gun, not even that hot and it went on like butter. Pull it off the same way. If you don't heat it, then yeah it's a bitch.
I have had many balancers not be in spec. (almost every brand)
Maybe the cranks were different, maybe the balaner was, doesn't matter.

Many times I have had to bust the old hone out, and make the dang bores bigger.
Cause I have seen people break bolts off in the crank trying to "pull" them on.
It shouldn't take that much effort, it should be pretty dang simple. (IE: like the factory)

I been around mod motor fords making big power since 1996, and I haven't had a single crank snap.
Not on personal stuff, or any of my friends crazy stuff. (Coyotes and Mod motors)

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I been around mod motor fords making big power since 1996, and I haven't had a single crank snap.
Not on personal stuff, or any of my friends crazy stuff. (Coyotes and Mod motors)

Just curious, but what was a "big power" mod motor back 1996?

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Just curious, but what was a "big power" mod motor back 1996?
Well I remember when I dyno'ed my 1997 Cobra and it made 242 to the wheels.
It took my entire bank account, and then some to make the 810 to the wheels years later. LOL.

Those were the days, when anything over 500 to the tire was like "HOLY CRAP"

Now days Honda minivan's make more to the tire then the Cobras did back then.
And if you don't make 1,000 to the tire, the internet thinks you suck. LOL.

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
^ so true. Not to mention the older Cobras were overrated factory if I recall? I believe Ford had a TSB to replace the heads with the better "D" casting ones even as purists were dyno'ing them and finding out the were not getting advertised HP they paid for. I always did like that car when it came out.

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Well I remember when I dyno'ed my 1997 Cobra and it made 242 to the wheels.
It took my entire bank account, and then some to make the 810 to the wheels years later. LOL.

Those were the days, when anything over 500 to the tire was like "HOLY CRAP"

Now days Honda minivan's make more to the tire then the Cobras did back then.
And if you don't make 1,000 to the tire, the internet thinks you suck. LOL.
Red with black roof???

Vanillakuryla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I bought my car Monday and snapped the snout off Wednesday. Pretty upset. May end up parting the thing out. The person who owned the car before me had purchased some sort of alternator support bracket because the 10 rib system broke the pulley off the alternator and bent the bracket. I guess the snout was the next weakest link. I'm guessing the dampener wasnt properly honed or installed.
20190227_171753.jpg
20190227_121932.jpg

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
Oh man !
I am so sorry but can truly say I know how you feel .
What mods on the car ? Whipple with 10 rib upgrade ?

Vanillakuryla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Oh man !
I am so sorry but can truly say I know how you feel .
What mods on the car ? Whipple with 10 rib upgrade ?

Well from what I know, 2.9 Whipple with ported lower manifold, Cams, 10 rib, phasers, billet oil pump gears, stainless works long tubes, non catted Corsa catback, DSS axles and driveshaft, Fore Dual pump fuel system, ID1000's. Thats just the basic stuff I know of under the hood.
Sponsored