Sponsored

Broken crankshaft

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Broke my crank snout yesterday. I was pulling on the freeway, hit in second gear it spun a little, grabbed 3rd gear and then when the car shifted from 3rd to 4th the engine just shut off. I looked in the rear view and saw smoke. I knew it was fucked at that point.

I will say that I am not blaming the procharger at all. If anything itā€™s my bad for me torquing the balancer bolt with a gun. I love the procharger on this car and when it hits the streets again it will have the procharger on it. I will definitely be adding a crank support this time around. Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m going to do for motor yet but I will probably make that decision after I get the current motor out. I want to see if the heads are messed up and how bad. Iā€™m assuming the chains were thrown off but Iā€™m not sure.

3122CFBF-1425-40C8-9BC6-9E3A309F2AA4.jpeg
Sponsored

turnswrench

turnswrench
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bowman
Vehicle(s)
F-150, WK SRT
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Sorry man :( You used an impact to put on the damper and torque the bolt? How'd you get it off? Same way?

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
This is another reason I went with twins. Dump the belt. Get twins and not have to worry about this anymore. Its sucks you are now in this position. Most of us at some point have been there. When I cracked a cylinder I just parked car in garage took a deep breath and started planning for the next build.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Yikes. šŸ˜²

Sponsored

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Sorry man :( You used an impact to put on the damper and torque the bolt? How'd you get it off? Same way?
I have a righteous balancer puller and installler. Once installed I gave it a couple of taps with the gun. Iā€™ve been using the same gun for almost 30 years. I know it pretty well. Never the less torque specs exist for a reason.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Really should not be much more than just the crankshaft and maybe some bent valves. A lot of labor but not to many parts. you can have it back up and running for under $1500 if you can do the work

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Really should not be much more than just the crankshaft and maybe some bent valves. A lot of labor but not to many parts. you can have it back up and running for under $1500 if you can do the work
I may go that route or just a new gen3 short block
Hopefully the heads can be rebuilt. What ever I do It will definitely have the crank support on it.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Broke my crank snout yesterday. I was pulling on the freeway, hit in second gear it spun a little, grabbed 3rd gear and then when the car shifted from 3rd to 4th the engine just shut off. I looked in the rear view and saw smoke. I knew it was fucked at that point.

I will say that I am not blaming the procharger at all. If anything itā€™s my bad for me torquing the balancer bolt with a gun. I love the procharger on this car and when it hits the streets again it will have the procharger on it. I will definitely be adding a crank support this time around. Iā€™m not sure what Iā€™m going to do for motor yet but I will probably make that decision after I get the current motor out. I want to see if the heads are messed up and how bad. Iā€™m assuming the chains were thrown off but Iā€™m not sure.

3122CFBF-1425-40C8-9BC6-9E3A309F2AA4.jpeg
That picture looks eerily similar to the picture the guy who bought my car sent me. He switched to a single turbo though.

Sponsored

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That's not good. I have a PC Stage II on my 2018.

Very sorry for the grief. Would be interested in seeing if you have any valve train damage.

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Im running the procharger crank support and the Kentic Crank saver studā€¦ works way better than the ARP bolt

C5A5AAB8-20F8-43AF-A688-B70850C3D8F0.png
One hundred percent will be getting that too. Anything that might alleviate stress on the crank snout is a must moving forward for me. Aside from that the car ran great. Which is why Iā€™m leaning towards a factory gen3 short block with some head studs, a new oil pump, and probably the cyl head cooling mod

OP
OP
TGGT

TGGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
IIRC, you'll loose the front sway bar with the crank support.
Iā€™m not worried about it. I donā€™t do too much cornering as it is. Iā€™m much more interested in keeping the crank snout where it belongs
Sponsored