Sponsored

Crankshaft snout snapped

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
What were you doing when it broke ?
Is the car auto or manual ?

I broke the snout off the alluminator in my 12 (also 10 rib /2.9 whipple / 20 ATI damper ) years ago drag racing with a manual when I hit the rev limiter.

I thought it was because of driver error and the heavy OD.

As you may see a few posts back ,more recently broke the snout off the MMR sleeved 5.2 block in an auto TT car with the stock size ATI on the dyno .

Common denominator is the ATI damper .
Sponsored

Vanillakuryla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It is a 6 speed. Let's just say I was doing some spirited driving . That's what I bought it for tho. Man I was thinking about putting an Aluminator in it thinkin that would help but apparently not. Especially if it broke an MMR built motor. I spoke to Tim over at MPR and he said they do a double keyway. I think my best bet would be go back to the stock harmonic balancer and turn it down to 650 or so on the 6 rib. No other options really. I'm new to the Mustang society. I've had LS cars my whole life so needless to say I'm a little discouraged.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
What were you doing when it broke ?
Is the car auto or manual ?

I broke the snout off the alluminator in my 12 (also 10 rib /2.9 whipple / 20 ATI damper ) years ago drag racing with a manual when I hit the rev limiter.

I thought it was because of driver error and the heavy OD.

As you may see a few posts back ,more recently broke the snout off the MMR sleeved 5.2 block in an auto TT car with the stock size ATI on the dyno .

Common denominator is the ATI damper .

Agree almost all the ones I see break have an ATI Damper

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Dampner installed wrong,i have been running a stage 2 procharger 8 rib on 2 cars now with no crank issues.Guy probably new something was wrong with it and is why he sold it.

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
It is a 6 speed. Let's just say I was doing some spirited driving . That's what I bought it for tho. Man I was thinking about putting an Aluminator in it thinkin that would help but apparently not. Especially if it broke an MMR built motor. I spoke to Tim over at MPR and he said they do a double keyway. I think my best bet would be go back to the stock harmonic balancer and turn it down to 650 or so on the 6 rib. No other options really. I'm new to the Mustang society. I've had LS cars my whole life so needless to say I'm a little discouraged.
Just move to a Winberg crank and call it a day. The real common denominator is the stock crank and rpms.

Sponsored

Vanillakuryla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Dampner installed wrong,i have been running a stage 2 procharger 8 rib on 2 cars now with no crank issues.Guy probably new something was wrong with it and is why he sold it.
I thought that. I know who owned it before though. He's in the circle of my friends who are car enthusiasts. He traded it in and that's where I got it. I really hope he would have said something if he knew it was gonna explode soon. We talked before I bought it. I know nothing about Mod motors but I do have a fairly extensive mechanical background. Is it safe to assume I need a new long block?

Vanillakuryla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT

Does procharger use ATI? I called Innovators West and they said they only go up to 8 rib. I'm sure the pulley was installed wrong.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Does procharger use ATI? I called Innovators West and they said they only go up to 8 rib. I'm sure the pulley was installed wrong.
No procharger use the stock dampner and the 8 rib pulley bolts to that with a cam lock type bolt and longer crank bolt.

Sponsored

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I mean I have stock crank and the ATI super damper. I spin the car to 7700... And I do half mile racing which is unkind to every component on the car. i think it's likely installation error of the new damper.

Vanillakuryla

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I mean I have stock crank and the ATI super damper. I spin the car to 7700... And I do half mile racing which is unkind to every component on the car. i think it's likely installation error of the new damper.
I'm almost positive it was. Shaun from AED who is like the premier Tuner for Mustangs in Nor Cal told me they need to be measured and honed to be withing a certain tolerance. I read somewhere it .0008 and .0012. Which as we all know, a human hair is .003 so that's tighter than a Frog's ass.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I'm almost positive it was. Shaun from AED who is like the premier Tuner for Mustangs in Nor Cal told me they need to be measured and honed to be withing a certain tolerance. I read somewhere it .0008 and .0012. Which as we all know, a human hair is .003 so that's tighter than a Frog's ass.

Now that’s funny .lol

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
I wonder if that is an option for me. They probably wont sell just the pulley
yes they will, but don't know if it would line up with whipple.

8-12 tenths is correct interference fit.
Sponsored