Sponsored

BBQ Tick Solved?

Gearhead82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Base 6MT
Fuel wash and fuel thinning out the oil. Thats causing the metal on metal, ring to bore scoring.

As for metal particles in the oil that too is fuel thinned oil. Oil breaks down with the fuel in it and the bearings degrade.

Until someone can prove the fuel contaminating the oil is not a very real very likely reason for this issue I'll continue to blame this as the cause.

As for plugged passages umm no I dont believe that at all. I dont believe its a tolerance issue either.

Its an oil issue.
UOA (used oil analysis) is a common and cheap way to check for fuel dilution and I’m sure many members here have had them performed. I haven’t seen any alarm bells going off about fuel dilution. Plus, if this was an issue with Ford’s oil selection, then the issue would be MUCH worse on their ecoboost engines which are DI only, boosted to 20+ psi, and run very rich under WOT. Yet they have no ticking or crank bearing or cylinder scoring issues.
Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Why did it take a class action case to get Ford to admit their was a proplem with with Focus RS head gaskets before there was a change?

Ford will do the same here until there is a class action they will keep replacing parts because some engines can handle it and show no issue yet some tick and are getting short blocks replaced.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Huh? has nothing to do with bearings being destroyed? Ummm the oil being thinned out then pumped through the engine will indeed toast bearings all over the engine. In the bottom end as in crank bearings and in cam bearings above the short block because all that oil is being cycled.
I highly doubt the DI/PI Coyote is diluting the oil that bad with fuel. Most guys change the oil (10 qts no less) pretty often. Has anyone done a UOA to see what the level of fuel dilution was?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also I find it awfully odd the engine with a catch can started to knock.

2nd why people use them damn things to begin with Ill never understand until a coyote comes with a catch can rrom factory I refuse to use one.

Also if you are worried about metal in the oil the hell with looking in the catch can that shouldnt be on the engine in the first place as far as im concerned and cut open the oil filter!!
The catch can has nothing to do with the engine noise. Coyote engines without catch cans have developed engine noise too (BBQ tick, 2K rattle).

And BTW, Ford Racing Performance does sell a catch can. So they must think there's a good reason to use one. But that's all been hashed over in a dozen different threads already.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Im not saying the catch can caused it. Just pointing out they are unecessary. As for UOA sure its pretty cheap ut that doesnt mean many people do it.

Id sure like to see the fuel dilution results too!

Sponsored

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
You mean like all the companies leg humping catch cans but yet the damn engine doesnt have one on it from factory? LOL

So you wont put a can on because it didnt come from the factory, but you suggest using a totally different oil than what is recommended by the factory and engine designers?

GritzNGravy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
So the first time I emptied my UPR catch can it had metal in it like the picture. Im pretty sure the metal is from the catch can itself. Probably from machining process. Just didn't clean them that well. By the third time I emptied my UPR can the metal was alot less but still there. I find it hard to beleive that metal shaving are making through the pvc system and the baffles etc, used to condense oil vapor. My 16 has the "rattle" and bbq tick btw. The rattle is a lot louder than the tick, but mostly goes away after warm. I could not find any metal in the hoses going to the catch can. Had an oil anylsis done last oil change. Came back perfect. With that much metal in the can, an oil analysis would defiantly show something if there was a problem. I switched to an Racer X can, and haven't seen metal yet in it.

OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
After more investigating, it is indeed a bearing clearance issue on the crankshaft causing what ford calls "typewriter noise".

Stormtroopin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Mach 1 on order; ‘18 Mustang GT (sold)
Evidence? Link? Anything beyond speculation?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
After more investigating, it is indeed a bearing clearance issue on the crankshaft causing what ford calls "typewriter noise".
Is it the journal surface clearance itself, or the side clearance causing the rod base to tap the sides of the crankshaft?

Sponsored
OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
The heavier weight oil is just increasing oil pressure, just masking the real issue by the way.

No links yet.

My car is scheduled to be dropped off, of course dealer tried to say they haven't seen the issue LOL... Until I told them to use the computer and look up how many open issues exist nationwide in the service dept for the same exact problem, yes they can see all the open cases from all other stang owners.

The tapping on cold start is due to lack of lubrication on those bearings.

Condor do not know yet.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Do you have a link to the Facebook post regarding the ford tech?

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The heavier weight oil is just increasing oil pressure, just masking the real issue by the way.

No links yet.

My car is scheduled to be dropped off, of course dealer tried to say they haven't seen the issue LOL... Until I told them to use the computer and look up how many open issues exist nationwide in the service dept for the same exact problem, yes they can see all the open cases from all other stang owners.

The tapping on cold start is due to lack of lubrication on those bearings.

Condor do not know yet.
How did you come up with this conclusion? I still think its piston slap.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That Mustang had 82,000 miles on it and he put another 3,000 miles on it before the rod bearing ate itself. Who knows how that engine was treated for 85,000 miles. Not relevant here IMO.

I did see this though in Post #6 of that thread, and found it interesting because it's been theorized here on this board that the BBQ Tick could be excessive rod side-to-side clearance.

"Something to note though, I think I have the BBQ igniter tick that people have complained about. It's completely random, one (low) volume, and doesn't increase with rpm. I think I know what it is though. I noticed that our rods can slide back and forth on the crankshaft after being run for a while. When I installed the new bearing and tightened the old good one they didn't move side to side at all."

Related:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-excessive-is-this-rod.108361/

Thread where a lot of rod side-to-side clearance is discussed.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/bbq-tick-another-attempt-to-understand.108944/

There is supposed to be some rod side clearance, but if it's out of spec it could be the source of the random BBQ tick.