Sponsored

BBQ Tick Solved?

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Browsing through Facebook moments ago and found an interesting post from a Ford Technician who also had the tick with his engine. He is claiming that tick in the bottom end people have is the crankshaft bearings, and what is happening is, once you start to see metal particles in your oil or oil separator from the bearings being slowly destroyed, they end up clogging oil passages so the engine is no longer being properly lubricated in which than you start to get scored cylinders and piston slap. He posted a pic of the metal in his oil separator and said it started to go down hill from there.

There you have it, my mechanic I spoke with over the phone a few days back eluded to bottom end tapping possibly being the crankshaft since that's one of the few parts that are in the bottom end than can cause that tap/tick.

He stated the 2nd type of tick which is similar, is the pressure plate, I guess if you never see any metal shavings in your filter, separator, etc, maybe your in this category?

What say you?

43377921_10214063626319650_5425166349141803008_n.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Stormtroopin5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Mach 1 on order; ‘18 Mustang GT (sold)
So is he saying a tolerancing issue with the crank bearings is causing them to wear/fail prematurely or is he just relating this to them breaking in? It seems somewhat logical assuming those bearings would be near the front of the line after the pump creates pressure. I am still a little confused as to how the PCV system is able to carry metal shavings into a separator esp. with all the filtering suspending the moisture & oil out of the returned air. Wouldn't you see metal shavings in the hoses coming into the separator if this was true?

OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
So is he saying a tolerancing issue with the crank bearings is causing them to wear/fail prematurely or is he just relating this to them breaking in? It seems somewhat logical assuming those bearings would be near the front of the line after the pump creates pressure. I am still a little confused as to how the PCV system is able to carry metal shavings into a separator esp. with all the filtering suspending the moisture & oil out of the returned air. Wouldn't you see metal shavings in the hoses coming into the separator if this was true?

The first 4-5 times I checked and dumped my separator, had no metal shavings, I checked yesterday and I did indeed now have metal particles, most pretty small, some slightly bigger ones mixed in.

I believe him. It's logical and have the same issue with the metal in separator cropping up recently.

As far as why it is happening I didn't see him mention anything. Surely Ford is aware of this if he has this info.

game changer is seeing that metal in a catch can. From what I read, it will happen again with a new block if whatever caused it is not fixed, whether it be out of spec or dirt is somehow entering the system which scratches the bearings and than it begins to prematurely wear.

Last edited:

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
Im going to start pasting this in every OMGWTFBBQTICK thread I can find.......

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-t...specific-oil-could-save-your-ecoboost-engine/

“Simply put, direct-injection engines create higher levels of fuel dilution in the motor oil, and that creates specific problems,” Lake explained. “Traditional motor oils contain high levels of calcium based detergents. These calcium detergents help with fuel economy, prevent rust and keep the engine clean. However, these same calcium detergents also increase the tendency of an abnormal combustion event, also known as Low-Speed Pre-Ignition. LSPI events can destroy an engine, so motor oils are being reformulated to reduce the tendency for LSPI to occur.”

If you own a 2018 Mustang with the latest, dual-fuel Coyote engine, you might be thinking you don’t need a DI-specific oil. Don’t be too hasty though. Though the addition of port injection does mitigate some of the DI-only issues, it doesn’t mask them all.

“The dual-injection system helps to overcome some of these issues. Essentially, the engine is programmed to operate as a port-injection engine under the conditions where LSPI is most likely to occur, and then the engine switches to direct injection once it is out of those conditions,” Lake said. “On paper, this sounds like a good mechanical solution to the LSPI problem, but it has not been proven to completely prevent LSPI from occurring while using traditional motor oil formulas.”

So, it wouldn’t hurt to run oil designed for direct-injection engine in your dual-fuel Gen 3 Coyote, but not just to keep detonation at bay. That soot you see on the exhaust tip can also create extra wear.

“It is also worth mentioning that all direct-injection engines, even dual-injection system engines, create soot, and DI soot can increase wear,” he added. “This is one of the formulation considerations for direct-injection engine — you have to design the oil to handle the soot.”

This whole BBQ (who the fuck came up with that name) tick and everyone throwing a fit about noisey engines and use Rotella is getting sickening on this forum

The link above is where I believe this so called issue is going to go.

Even if personally I believe the tick nonsense is bullshit and blown out of proportion just the same if not worse than the OMG your OPG is going to shatter after some dickwad with a hellion kit on a 2015 toasted his engine wayyyyyy back long ago with the S550 1st came out.

Id bet a whole lot of money that clown bounced it off the limiter and thats why the engine ate the OPG.

Anyways click link above and read.

This is going to be a battle ALL DI (yes i know the gen3 is dual injected but still) engines will face as fuel issue contaminating the oil. How else do cylinders score so easily.

And for the love of god Rotella is not some magic cure all oil.

Its MASKING whats going on people!

But but but its a diesel oil......

NO Shit Diesels are direct injected as well thus the oil is designed to withstand it and not breakdown or thin out once it gets fuel in it.

Lastly until a god damn coyote comes with a catch can on it from factory I refuse to put one on my car. Throw them away and if you are that paranoid change the freaking oil more frequently!!

OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
That post has nothing to do with crankshaft bearings being destroyed, not sure how that is relevant, although good info, and they are right, port side injection negates many of the bad things about direct injection. Right now, I am going to go with what a ford tech said happened to his own car and what has been happening in general, I think the fact that it happened to his own car, probably a very good reason to put some effort into finding out what happen and it wasn't a typical case of "waiting for ford to direct us".

Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That post has nothing to do with crankshaft bearings being destroyed, not sure how that is relevant, although good info, and they are right, port side injection negates many of the bad things about direct injection.
Huh? has nothing to do with bearings being destroyed? Ummm the oil being thinned out then pumped through the engine will indeed toast bearings all over the engine. In the bottom end as in crank bearings and in cam bearings above the short block because all that oil is being cycled.

OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
Huh? has nothing to do with bearings being destroyed? Ummm the oil being thinned out then pumped through the engine will indeed toast bearings.....
Than it would happen to nearly all the engines in the 18 and 19.

It would be like saying using "insert fuel type here" will destroy the engine, but if that were the case it wouldn't happen 25% of the time or less, or 1 out of every 4 or 5 vehicles. A blanket statement such as the oil itself in a dual port system surely would effect nearly all of them.

I don't believe all the prior years had DI...

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree and get what you are saying but until Ford starts using a different oil they can keep replacing engines until they are blue in the face or run out of parts which ever comes 1st LOL

Also I find it awfully odd the engine with a catch can started to knock.

2nd why people use them damn things to begin with Ill never understand until a coyote comes with a catch can rrom factory I refuse to use one.

Also if you are worried about metal in the oil the hell with looking in the catch can that shouldnt be on the engine in the first place as far as im concerned and cut open the oil filter!!

OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I agree and get what you are swying but until Ford starts using a different oil they can keep replacing engines until they are blue in the face or run out of parts which ever comes 1st LOL
I wish it isthe oil, I am leaning toward something being out of spec, the fact that different oil helps some, and not others may depend on how far out of spec that something is. I don't see dirt being in the system, maybe the bearings are made in china? LOL .. Interesting though, I can now conclude I saw enough to warrant a trip the a dealer. Being the ford tech kinda sorta said something along the lines of what my mechanic said on the phone, I'll skip a free visit to his shop and go straight to Ford.

I wouldn't run around though and panic, just bring your shit in.. if your noise goes away when warm completely I would not worry.. Mine does not go away when warm at low RPM's.. Idle is pretty quiet though most times now.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wish it was the oil, I am leaning toward something being out of spec, the fact that different oil helps some, and not others may depend on how far out of spec that something is. I don't see dirt being in the system, maybe the bearings are made in china? LOL .. Interesting though, I can now conclude I saw enough to warrant a trip the a dealer. Being the ford tech kinda sorta said something along the lines of what my mechanic said on the phone, I'll skip a free visit to his shop and go straight to Ford.
I think the Ford tech you spoke with is an idiot pulling a random guess from his ass and the problem is self induced with the catch can.......

Id like to know how many OMGBBQ tick engines have catch cans.... LOL

Sponsored
OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I think the Ford tech you spoke with is an idiot pulking a random guess from his ass and the problem is self induced with the catch can.......
Maybe, but explain all the 18's with no can, straight off the lot with the tick or happening slightly there after.

I once thought maybe the can caused it, but to many cases of one not being used.

I kinda sorta agree there is no need for one being it has port side injection.

You ever read the thread from last year? Guy went out bought his own clevite bearing, did the work himself and no longer ticked.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe, but explain all the 18's with no can, straight off the lot with the tick or happening slightly there after.

I once thought maybe the can caused it, but to many cases of one not being used.
Right Im not saying the can caused it. Its an oil issue more so than anything else. Some engines can handle it some cant.

But again until Ford addresses the oil they can keep replacing parts over and over and over and over.........

OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
OP
OP
stangman638

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
If I get a block, Im running straight up break in oil.