Sponsored

2018 Typewriter/BBQ Tick

Colossus1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
After watching so many you tube videos on this subject and for the most part each owner is being told its normal, If so why hasn't Ford released an official statement regarding that? They cant be that stupid not to know there is major issues and questions surrounding this.
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Because they go based on warranty claims and actual replacements that cost them money. We don't know the true impact. We only know the people who yell on Youtube or post on forums about it. Majority of the public either isn't posting about it or just continue to drive it ignoring it or do not truly have it.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1 w/Magneride
The tick has been a thing since 2010 when the first gen Coyote engine released on 2011 MY Mustangs. It’s just getting publicized now. There are people with 2011 GTs that got the tick early on, never did anything about it, and have their engine still running fine at 100k+ miles.
The real question is “does the tick actually mean anything?”.

OP
OP
Colossus1974

Colossus1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I would assume if its normal then why doesn't every coyote motor have the tick? Would that mean that the ones without the tick are the bad motors? Makes no sense to me. I can see the point in warranty claims but when the dealership is telling you its normal its pretty damn hard to get a warranty claim started. Mine has the tick but not on cold start, tick starts a few minutes after start up and then goes away once the block is fully heated up it seems. If I shut the car off for 10 minutes then get back in same thing happens.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I would assume if its normal then why doesn't every coyote motor have the tick? Would that mean that the ones without the tick are the bad motors? Makes no sense to me. I can see the point in warranty claims but when the dealership is telling you its normal its pretty damn hard to get a warranty claim started. Mine has the tick but not on cold start, tick starts a few minutes after start up and then goes away once the block is fully heated up it seems. If I shut the car off for 10 minutes then get back in same thing happens.
Mine was like that when I first got it with the factory oil fill. I noticed since my first oil change to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20, it isn't there. It's definitely not there at all once things got warmed up on the factory oil fill. Could be the difference of some engines being slightly off spec when they are built versus others. I can tell you one thing though, I'm not worried about it one bit until my engine quits turning over.

The 18's are noisier overall due to the DI noise, but there is a more distinct noise that happens around 2k rpm that people have reported. I personally would put more miles on an 18+ and break the engine in really good. I modded my 17 really early on and it's fine. The Youtube scares + the forums doesn't help the situation, but if you want that piece of mind, just drive it stock on the stock tune for about 10,000 miles and make the decision from there. I'd think your engine would go before that point if there was really an major issue with it.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has been ticking since the day I got it... 3 oil changes and 10,000 miles later (usually only running on 87 octane), it still runs perfectly

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s not a matter of it being “normal”, it’s a matter of “what does it matter?”.

OP
OP
Colossus1974

Colossus1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
It’s not a matter of it being “normal”, it’s a matter of “what does it matter?”.
What does it matter? surely matters if the issue is degrading the motor at a quicker pace than normal wear and tear, which would also mean a chance of failure a lot sooner after warranty expires than a motor with no issue. of course this is going on the whether its normal or not.

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What does it matter? surely matters if the issue is degrading the motor at a quicker pace than normal wear and tear, which would also mean a chance of failure a lot sooner after warranty expires than a motor with no issue. of course this is going on the whether its normal or not.
What proof do you have that it’s degrading the motor or even affecting it at all? I’ve found nothing supporting that claim, so I’m honestly asking if you have found evidence that I have not.

OP
OP
Colossus1974

Colossus1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What proof do you have that it’s degrading the motor or even affecting it at all? I’ve found nothing supporting that claim, so I’m honestly asking if you have found evidence that I have not.
As my last comment mentioned "whether its normal or not" no way to tell, I never mentioned I have proof nor said it was degrading the motor (its a possibility) . If its not a big issue then not sure why Ford wouldn't shoot down all the negative publicity around it as im sure it must be scaring potential buyers away. Not saying anything for a "normal issue" seems like they are hiding something.

Sponsored

Spork3245

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As my last comment mentioned "whether its normal or not" no way to tell, I never mentioned I have proof nor said it was degrading the motor (its a possibility) . If its not a big issue then not sure why Ford wouldn't shoot down all the negative publicity around it as im sure it must be scaring potential buyers away. Not saying anything for a "normal issue" seems like they are hiding something.
Or, it’s literally nothing to worry about and motors with the tick run completely fine. And you did suggest that it may be degrading the motor, adding “if” doesn’t mean you did not imply it could be - suggesting such things without any bearing or evidence is why people freak out about the tick in the first place.

OP
OP
Colossus1974

Colossus1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Or, it’s literally nothing to worry about and motors with the tick run completely fine. And you did suggest that it may be degrading the motor, adding “if” doesn’t mean you did not imply it could be - suggesting such things without any bearing or evidence is why people freak out about the tick in the first place.
Lol, Not gonna argue this with you. One can tell that obviously by my comments I don't know if it is or isn't causing an issue. All else is irrelevant. Was merely looking for possible reasons why Ford hasn't tried to debunk the issue. I do appreciate your responses, does help one in feeling a bit easier about it.

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
Lol, Not gonna argue this with you. One can tell that obviously by my comments I don't know if it is or isn't causing an issue. All else is irrelevant. Was merely looking for possible reasons why Ford hasn't tried to debunk the issue. I do appreciate your responses, does help one in feeling a bit easier about it.
Because their lawyers told them to leave it alone. Any statement can and will be held against them in the public court and, more importantly, in actual court where large corporations will pay. Better to say nothing at all.

OP
OP
Colossus1974

Colossus1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Because their lawyers told them to leave it alone. Any statement can and will be held against them in the public court and, more importantly, in actual court where large corporations will pay. Better to say nothing at all.
Makes some sense, Although "normal as they say" should be nothing worried about on their part which means they wouldn't have anything used against them in court. You would only worry about saying Normal if in fact its later proven its not normal (smells fishy)

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don't think we will ever know what the issue really is. It has been discussed and there are varying opinions- out of spec block, etc. The tick may be "normal" for our GT's but you don't hear it in most other engines. My Fiesta ST engine is so quiet compared to the GT- yes I can hear the DI injectors but it's a different sound than the piston clatter/knocking. I have not heard this sound in any other new car I have ever owned. My GT has the tick and 2K RPM clatter when cold. The tick comes and goes as already noted.

I only heard a similar sound once in a 4.3 V6 that I had rebuilt- it occurred a couple thousand miles after the rebuild. I had it diagnosed multiple times- some said valve clatter, others said hanging lifter and other heard nothing abnormal. It drove me so crazy I pulled the engine, disassembled to the block and had it inspected. It had a cracked cylinder wall- very small and it did not affect the running and it did not burn any oil. I had to get a new block.
Sponsored