Sponsored

BBQ tick - another attempt to understand

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Is the tick at idle and also while under light load pretty common too?
I have it at idle and I can also consistently produce the tick when under light acceleration between 1000 ~ 1700 rpm. It can be heard the most when driving slowly in 1st/2nd gear through an enclosed parking lot or next to a wall.
Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
I have it at idle and I can also consistently produce the tick when under light acceleration between 1000 ~ 1700 rpm. It can be heard the most when driving slowly in 1st/2nd gear through an enclosed parking lot or next to a wall.
yup.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
As I said in the other thread, You'll find it's oil pressure related. It tends to vanish around 30psi.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
As I said in the other thread, You'll find it's oil pressure related. It tends to vanish around 30psi.
Gotcha, thanks for the info. So far my oil consumption is pretty good so I'm not too concerned with it (yet). I'm on my 2nd engine so I'm a bit more paranoid than the average s550 owner.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Keep in mind that the engine RPM is also higher in order to get the oil pressure to 30 PSI. Only way to really verify if it's totally oil pressure/flow related is to somehow increase the oil pressure/flow while keeping the RPM constant. That seems to be what unplugging the oil control solenoid does on the 3rd Gen Coyote.

Wonder if anyone has put together a summary of people who have the BBQ Tick on the 1st and 2nd Gen Coyote and also what their hot idle oil pressure was? If that summary data was available, it may show that most of the BBQ ticking Coyotes have slightly lower oil pressure than ones that don't tick - ??.

Sponsored

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
Mine went away the moment i installed my paxton kit... odd

kenand1988

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
This is my second mustang. The first was a 2016 that developed the tick right after an oil change around 28k miles and ford replaced the short block later on. I lost faith in the car and sold it. A few years later I decided to try again with my 2020 GT. Picked it up with 14k miles and it had a very faint tick not that often. I put on a supercharger and sent it. 8k miles later after an oil change the tick became much more pronounced. So I decided I would change the oil again with something heavier. 5w40. At the next oil change maybe 100 miles later I noticed in the oil drain pan some grit of some kind. They were little pieces maybe 1mmx1mmx1mm. I couldn't make out what it could be. I put a magnet to them and they did not attract. I smashed them down and they broke apart even further. I broke open the oil filter and did not find anything in it. This of course alarmed the shit out of me. I put fresh oil in and thought at the next oil change I'm taking off the oil pan. I also requested an oil test kit from Blackstone. Let me say when it developed the tick I took it to the dyno maybe a week later for a tune revision and it made nearly 900 whp. So I felt pretty safe that there wasn't anything serious going on. But after finding this stuff in the oil pan we'll I was really worried again. I changed the oil 2k miles later and decided against taking the oil pan off because it looked more difficult than it was worth. The results came back today showing nothing out of the ordinary. My guess as to what this material could be is something from engine assembly. I've seen other people find plastic pieces in their oil and it's been concluded these probably came from something do with the cam chains. So anyway that's my story. Car still runs great. Tick shows up every now and then. Liqui moly did nothing. Heavier oil did nothing. I don't know if the pieces I found in the oil are related to the tick becoming more pronounced but its seems like more than a coincidence.

Snapchat-2143026385.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Two things no one can explain about coyote V8

- Why some cars have BBQ tick and some do not

- Why some power pack'd card do not detonate with 91 fuel, but some do even with 93.

P.S. and I got to experience both issues.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Two things no one can explain about coyote V8

- Why some cars have BBQ tick and some do not
The BBQ tick varies between engines due to the tolorance and clearance stack-up differences between engines.

My theory is still that those clearance differences are somehow effected by the friction level of the oil. That is why most engines with the BBQ tick will be cured with the MolyLube Ceratec friction modifier added to the oil. Same was true when people were using the Motorcraft XL-17 engine friction modifier (no longer available).

Also, some engines experience the BBQ tick slowly go away as the oil racks up some miles. That's because combustion soot blow-by can actually decrease friction. And the oil's AF/AW additives protective tribo-layer also builds up on parts surfaces as miles rack up on the oil, which reduces friction between parts. The BBQ tick is a mechanical noise IMO (like two parts banging togeter - rods ends sliding on the crank journals ?), and certainly seems to be effected by the friction level in the engine.

Sponsored

Turbolag87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My18 gt
OP
OP
accel

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Gotcha, thanks for the info. So far my oil consumption is pretty good so I'm not too concerned with it (yet). I'm on my 2nd engine so I'm a bit more paranoid than the average s550 owner.
My 2nd block got the tick again after the oil change and I do not part with ceratec after getting the 3rd block. Went down to 100ml dosage (from latte to unfiltered beer oil look). Also switched to 5w30 and castrol magnatec (reportedly used in Europe as OEM oil where no tick was known as US scale).

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
4 years and 45,000mi on my 2018. Tick started at first oil change, and hasn't changed since. I'm at the point I'm simply not worried about it. After seeing dozens of guys getting new blocks with absolutely no change, it's obvious the noise is inherent in the design for some reason. No reason to complain and get a new engine when it isn't needed. I just add about 100ml of Ceratec each oil change, and it shuts it right up. Engine runs smooth, gets 26-28mpg on the highway, and has loads of power. No problems. No worries.

Albertcado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd
Yep I can also confirm so far no issues with the tick. I'm on my 2nd short block (1st one replaced under warranty at 15k odometer) that developed the tick after the 1st oil change, it ticks at idle and also at low rpms below 2k so I hear it most when next to a wall or going slowly through a parking lot. I've been pushing the hell out of this new engine ever since the break in period and after 1k miles it has consumed very little oil and running strong. I'd say based on the dipstick reading it consumed maybe an 1/8th of a QT of oil in 1000 miles. That's with aggressive pulls in 2nd/3rd gears to 7k rpm and lots of WOT. In my experience, the oil weight doesn't make a difference with the tick either. This 2nd short block ran with 5w-30 full synthetic straight from the dealership after the install. Same pattern, tick showed up only after the 1st oil change. I'd say as long as anyone with the tick has normal oil consumption just drive the hell out of it and don't baby it.

Ock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium and a 1966 c10
Im on 2ed block, i had 2k rattle not the tick. on new one i had 1st oil change and still no tick. i did not baby break in, so far so good.
Sponsored